PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2-11-10: Foxsports updated mock

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatch62

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Mock Draft 2.0: Tebow a Saint? - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN

While I am the first to admit the Pats have a lot of holes to fill on O and D this mock makes no sense to me as it ignores the D completely.

First Round
22. New England Patriots—Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland - 6'7- 310
Second Round
44. New England Patriots*—Jahvid Best, RB, California - 5'10- 195
47. New England Patriots*— Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona - 6'6- 265
53. New England Patriots—Dexter McCluster, RB/WR, Ole Miss - 5'8- 165

Here are my issues with this draft.
1) Injuries. Campbell, Best and Gronkowski have all had large injuries in their past. While I would not rule out a player becuase of injuries having all top 3 coming off injuries gives me pause. Take a chance on 1, not 3.
2) Size of the RBs. Most of the greats (Emmit, Barry, Curtis) were all about 5'10, 210 so whil Best is not to small taking 2 undersized backs does not excite me. Would rather have one thumper (Anthony Dixon or Toby Gerhart)
3) No defense. Pats O has issues and a good O always takes the pressure of the D but the Pats need every someone on D that can make an explosive play.

Everson Griffen went to OU? :confused: Sh*t mock.

While I am the first to admit the Pats have a lot of holes to fill on O and D this mock makes no sense to me as it ignores the D completely.

First Round
Second Round

1) Injuries. Campbell, Best and Gronkowski have all had large injuries in their past. While I would not rule out a player becuase of injuries having all top 3 coming off injuries gives me pause. Take a chance on 1, not 3.
2) Size of the RBs. Most of the greats (Emmit, Barry, Curtis) were all about 5'10, 210 so whil Best is not to small taking 2 undersized backs does not excite me. Would rather have one thumper (Anthony Dixon or Toby Gerhart)
3) No defense. Pats O has issues and a good O always takes the pressure of the D but the Pats need every someone on D that can make an explosive play.

We could have;
1. j.odrick - de
2. J. Worilds - olb
2. R. Gronkowski - TE
2. M. Gilyard - WR

I'd rather take

22. Bryan Buluga
44. Tyson Aluala
47. Alex Carrington
53. Mike Johnson

Two backs in the first two rounds?! What the hell are they smoking over there? Must be good stuff! That would certainly make my head explode come draft day. give me Ben Tate in the 3rd/4th as far as RB goes, nothing in the first two please. One OL and a WR is as much as I'd care to see in the first two, with the others going to some big uglies on the defense. All in all: FAIL.

I especially love his explanation:

The Patriots offensive line isn’t getting any younger and Campbell’s quite the prospect. At 6’7, 310 pounds, the athletic tackle has plenty of upside. Coming off nagging knee and toe injuries, teams may be a bit tentative on selecting the still very raw Campbell in the first round, but his potential is too great for the Patriots to pass on him at No. 22 oveall.

Michael Oher did great filling in for Matt Light. Oh, wait. . . . :rolleyes:

Has this been added to the fail list yet? That is the worst draft I've read for us so far. An OT? And two RBs? Wtf, where are these people living?

22. Jared Odrick- I might take Pierre-Paul, but I am giving up on him for now because he just doesn't seem like a Patriots type of guy (in the first round).

44. Arrelious Benn

47. Maurkice Pouncey

53. Terrence Cody

Big negative is no OLB. Given that Odrick goes 30 in this mock, I'd do my best to trade down from 22 picking up a 3rd. I'd take Jerry Hughes (or Greg Hardy with a trade up) in round 3.

Has this been added to the fail list yet? That is the worst draft I've read for us so far. An OT? And two RBs? Wtf, where are these people living?

You can do it yourself. It's right here. :)

First Round
Second Round

I am not a fan of this mock. The first three players all have serious injury concerns. I am intrigued by McCluster though.

I would stay as far away from Campbell as I could. He appears to be a waist bender and not a natural knee bender. Also how can a guy with toe and knee injuries sink his hips and anchor correctly. If the Pats took Ulatoski of Texas in the 5th round, they would have durable player experienced in zone blocking that has decent feet and a ton of big game experience. A guy capable of being just as good a player as Campbell.

Best and Gronkowski are really at the mercy of the doctors. But the location of both their inuries is very scary.

McCluster is a playmaker and very versatile. Can you stand the physical pounding he will get in the NFL? I think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back