OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

2:00 left 80 yards to go; offense or defense

• OFFENSE - We'll score a touchdown!

Votes: 95 67.4%
  • DEFENSE - We'll keep them out of the endzone!

Votes: 46 32.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple decision brady to moss 80 yard td.

Re: 2:00 left 80 yards to go;offense or defense

One would think so.

I've seen a few teams over the years who would prefer the offense, teams led by Manning, Warner and Elway. Obviously, when push came to shove they didn't win many Super Bowls. IMHO, defense does indeed win championships and Super Bowls. Even the best offenses should be able to be stopped more often then not with two minutes to go needing a touchdown. At least they should be stopped by any defense that is in the playoffs.

I would be really surprised if Bill Belichick or Parcells (the coaches I know best) would choose offense against a playoff defense, even with Brady as the QB.

I just do not think our defense is as good as our offense right now IMO with Bru and Vraible being replaced not to mention our brand new DB core almost. Maybe ask me again after week 7 and I may have a different answer:). The last two SB were pretty much won on exactly the situation you have described so it is a very valid question. Cardinal fans would say their offense just like us after the last two years but the Steelers and NY might say their offense but interesting question though.

Ouch. You sure know how to hurt a guy. Deja vu all over again.

Two minutes? 80 yards? Need a touchdown?

Even with one or no timeouts, I'd want the game in a healthy Tommy's hands.

Are you kidding me with this question!!!!! We have tom brady

Re: 2:00 left 80 yards to go;offense or defense

One would think so.

I've seen a few teams over the years who would prefer the offense, teams led by Manning, Warner and Elway. Obviously, when push came to shove they didn't win many Super Bowls. IMHO, defense does indeed win championships and Super Bowls. Even the best offenses should be able to be stopped more often then not with two minutes to go needing a touchdown. At least they should be stopped by any defense that is in the playoffs.

I would be really surprised if Bill Belichick or Parcells (the coaches I know best) would choose offense against a playoff defense, even with Brady as the QB.

SB XLII
2:39 to go
Pats 14--Giants 10
Giants take over on their own 17
Our D takes the field.
Asante has a possible INT go through his hands (tough but makeable pick)
Jarvis Green doesn't put Eli on the ground and Tyree does his teflon helmet routine with Rodney on his back.
Hobbs takes the bait from Plaxico on a Slant and Go route.
The rest is history.
With no disrespect intended to a D that went 18--0 and won three SB's, I'll take Tommy and the Offense in the specific situation you describe.

defense, and it's not close to me.

I went defense, only because (I know it was far less than 2 mins) that final drive vs the Giants with the desperation heaves still haunts me.

Because of our porous D last year I voted for the Offense, but pretty confident if we ask this the end of this year it will be defense.. this team will not be close to last in Red Zone D this year... guaranteed. The D is the obvious choice.

defense, and it's not close to me.

PJ. Hope all's well in China.

In the abstract, I agree. But in the very recent past, our D has been given a lead to hold in circumstances very similar to those proposed in the OP (17 yard line vs. 20, 2:39 to play vs. 2:00, four point lead vs. five). If I have to put my money on the table under the described circumstances, I'd put it on a healthy TB and the Offense. As I said in my other response, no disrespect intended to a Defense that went 18--0, but I have to go with the Pats Offense under the specific circumstances described.

PJ. Hope all's well in China.

In the abstract, I agree. But in the very recent past, our D has been given a lead to hold in circumstances very similar to those proposed in the OP (17 yard line vs. 20, 2:39 to play vs. 2:00, four point lead vs. five). If I have to put my money on the table under the described circumstances, I'd put it on a healthy TB and the Offense. As I said in my other response, no disrespect intended to a Defense that went 18--0, but I have to go with the Pats Offense under the specific circumstances described.

Bad memories!!! I don't know what you're talking about, I'm covering my eyes!

I'm surprised at the voting. Give me the lead and a tough defense any time. I suppose we have lost some faith in our defense lately, but I think the 3rd down weakness should be fixed in 2009.

Just remember guys, when our defense is as strong as we'd like it to be (2004), we were able to stop Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Brandon Stokely (when he was good) and Edgerrin James (again, in his prime), on first and goal at the end of a game. This included a fourth and goal from about the 1 (McGinest!).

When you're defense is good, they can stop anyone at any time, and would jump at the chance to be up by 5 with 2:00 to go, even if it meant the other team was starting at the 30 or 40.

It is the playoffs, the championship game, the Super Bowl. We are playing one of the top teams in the league. The offense has the ball at their won 20, down by 5 points with 2 minutes left

Which kind of team do we want to be? I know we should be 10 ahead with 2 minutes to go.
But given the choice whould you rather be the offense or defense?

Give the ball to Brady - end of story.

My head says defense, figuring the Pats have the lead and all it takes is a big play or two to end the game. The numbers must work out in favor of such a decision over the long haul.

That being said, let's look at the short haul. SB36: Rams score a late TD. SB38: Carolina scores a late TD. SB39: Philly scores a late TD. SB42: Giants score a late TD (f***ers!). AFCCG in Indy: Colts score a late TD.

I'M SICK OF ALL THE LATE TDs!!!

I don't think I could take another, despite what the odds say.

Give me offense.

Regards,
Chris

I must have missed this last spring but cannot pass up the opportunity to bump it this week.

with the current team.......offense

Yup, still sick of the late TDs.

Regards,
Chris

With this team and perhaps Morris or Taylor not injured I take offense all day long.

depends on the team we are playing, but in most cases i would say offense. brady is the best player we have and having him in the game at crunch time is prob going to be our best option most of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back