PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

1st Round Wishlist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Patchick. Rookies would struggle with learning their assignments as a LB for the Pats. The 3-4 allows BB to rush any of the 4 LBs and if everything is working well, the opposing QB and the line will have a hard time adjustment and picking up the odd rusher. IF you are not the guy rushing, you could most likely be in coverage. For an OLB that is a converted DE, coverage and open field/space are scary words.
Also if you have a rookie on the field and all he can do is rush, then that limits BB's defensive options and gives the opposing offense an edge to work with.
If Beisel is back with the team, then it will be interesting to see what type of leap he takes as a second year player in the system. (PS: I also hope he comes to camp at 250-255 lbs. and has figured out how to bend those knees and get the head across the bow and drop somebody with authority.)

U R Right

I think you are exactly right in your assertion that the #1 pick should be an immediate starter. I'm sort of on the fence as far as which position BB should concentrate on. An impact MLB would be good, but as you point out, The 4 starters we have are fine for the moment (if they stay healthy.) There's also Beisol & Chad Johnson in house, and (rumor is) Lavarr Arrington could be had for any late 3rd round pick (but he may want too much $$). A very good safety or cornerback could be had in the 2nd round. I don't think BB will go for an OL or DL with the first pick. OL is very deep this draft. Forget about QB or TE taken early. There's alot of talk about Jureviscious and Randle EL being available, that combined with the fact that Hagan and Sinorice Moss really aren't worth the 21st pick leaves us with one way to go....Running Back. Even if corey comes back healthy, I think that the position that would provide the pats with the biggest impact this year would be a top of the line RB. As I said earlier, if the pats stay at 21, the best they will do is Maroney. If they trade up, then Lendale White or Deangelo Williams would be the choice. BB really loves to run the clock after he gets a lead and I just think now is the time to get the impact RB, since he passed on Jackson and Jones last year.

This is to DaBruinz..Yes, Tampa was a mistake

DaBruinz,

You are absolutely right about Tampa, I don't know how I put them in the maybe column. That was a mistake. However, the other maybe's I stand by.

Falcons:

TJ Duckett is not a feature back. the last 4 years he gained:
2005... 380 yds
2004... 505 yds
2003... 779 yds
2002... 507 yds

Warrick Dunn
He had 2 good years, but he gets hurt every year and I believe he is hurt right now.

Also, if the Falcons are trying to get Vick to stay in the pocket more so he doesn't get dinged every few games, they will need a very good running back.

Titans:

Yes, they have Chris Brown and Travis Henry. That's why I put them on the maybe list.

Chris Brown played in 15 games last year and had only 800 yds. for a 3.9 av per carry.

Travis Henry played in 10 games and had only 335 yds. for a 3.3 av. per carry. Also, he's hurt a lot too.

Steelers:

This could be a maybe because Bettis is gone. Duce Staley is hurt a lot. The last 3 years he gained 138 (this year), 800 (last year), 400 (3 years ago.)
Willie parker is a very good running back and had a very good year. But is he a 25-30 carry a game feature back that Cowher must have? or would he love to pick up Lendale White? Of course, the Steelers pick 31 or 32, so he won't have to worry about making that decision, unless he trades up, which I don't think he'll do. But I put them in the maybe category.

Anyway, that was my reasoning. Sorry about Tampa, I wasn't paying attention. :D

Last edited:
Rene Vallieres said:
I think you are exactly right in your assertion that the #1 pick should be an immediate starter. I'm sort of on the fence as far as which position BB should concentrate on. An impact MLB would be good, but as you point out, The 4 starters we have are fine for the moment (if they stay healthy.) There's also Beisol & Chad Johnson in house, and (rumor is) Lavarr Arrington could be had for any late 3rd round pick (but he may want too much $$). A very good safety or cornerback could be had in the 2nd round. I don't think BB will go for an OL or DL with the first pick. OL is very deep this draft. Forget about QB or TE taken early. There's alot of talk about Jureviscious and Randle EL being available, that combined with the fact that Hagan and Sinorice Moss really aren't worth the 21st pick leaves us with one way to go....Running Back. Even if corey comes back healthy, I think that the position that would provide the pats with the biggest impact this year would be a top of the line RB. As I said earlier, if the pats stay at 21, the best they will do is Maroney. If they trade up, then Lendale White or Deangelo Williams would be the choice. BB really loves to run the clock after he gets a lead and I just think now is the time to get the impact RB, since he passed on Jackson and Jones last year.
A #1 pick should be expected to contribute in their first year, but starter is not consistent with the development of players like Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork. Ben Watson in essentially his first year was still second TE behind Daniel Graham. These are all examples of first round selections who were given time to learn the system, while they contributed in other ways. A 4-3 DE converting to an 3-4 OLB would fit that scenerio.

I agree with patchick that the position most likely to have first round value in the second half of the round is TE. With Fauria looking at his 12th season, Graham a Free Agent in 2007, and BB using the TEs more often in a variety of roles, it would be a safe pick. An OLB conversion is probably the next strongest, if the riskiest. I see no first round value in running backs.

IMO the Pats underutilize their TEs as pass catchers. They are used in pass protection way too much. This is because the Oline is weak. IMO not a great idea to have two first round TEs who spend most of the time pass protecting. If the Pats address OL in the early rounds, then theoretically you improve your pass protection and can let the TEs run more routes and catch more passes.

Greg Blue

Boston Boxer said:
I mis-spoke...I was thinking Greg Blue when i saw Bing. I like Bing, i do not like Blue

Blue is getting a lot of hype because he hits like a truck..which he does. But...he has trouble tackling...a no no with BB. However, he is a Georgia boy and maybe the Pats will see more than I do...

I agree that the #21 pick is value-placed to select a TE... unless someone unexpectedly falls. That's a problem for me, because I think our need at LB is urgent.

In retrospect, BB has always spent his first pick filling his most pressing need:
2001 - Seymour, the team had cut ties with Chad Eaton, and there was no one to play DT on the roster at all
2002 - Graham, the team had released their starter Rod Ruttledge (no great catch, anyway)
2003 - Warren, an urgent solution after the disaster that was Steve Martin; helped keep Rick Lyle off the field
2004 - Wilfork, the loss of Ted Washington is impossible to understate
2005 - Mankins, the loss of Joe Andruzzi was the most palpable loss on the roster

The Equivalent in 2006?
1) We still haven't replaced either TJ or Phifer. LB play is the heart and soul of our defensive scheme
2) Will Rodney return?
3) Do we lose Givens to free agency?
4) Do we lose Neal and Ashworth to free agency?

This is a historic year for LBs and DE-tweeners in the draft. BB has been looking for years. The LB play was clearly a shortfall in 2005. This is very much a Steve Martin all over again, but his name is Chad Brown and he has a lot more class and professionalism

Personally, I believe that Rodney will be back. If not, Bing or Simpson are legit options (that I will cannot root for or hope for).

Givens cannot be replaced by any of the first round prospects. Holmes, Hagan, Jackson, Moss, Stovall... ho hum... these are not elite prospects. They're mid-rounders, in most years. I think Givens's agent has earned his commission.

Depth on the interior line might be good. The only guy who might draw interest (maybe at 52?) is Nick Mangold.

To me, that's it: LB, DB, WR and an outside shot at OL. If the loss of Fauria seems traumatic (why?) then maybe a Day One pick at TE; How about Fasano in the 3rd? But, all this talk about RB... that is truly a luxury pick we cant afford. If White drops, well, that's a special opportunity. But I think it is far more likely that BB drafts Manny Lawson or Darryl Tapp... or Carpenter if he passes the brain test.

BB has shown incredible patience bringing his young players onto the field. Graham, Warren, Wilfork... they were all slowly weaned into the position. None of that "trial by fire" crap.

Also, I think there is 0% chance that BB will draft Maroney. First, he doesn't have "BB size", despite his power. Then, he has not demonstrated any real skill in the passing game. That may be something BB'd overlook in a 4th rounder, but not something he'll spend his 1st on! At RB, IMO it's Lendale White, or nothing at RB.

Rene Vallieres said:
DaBruinz,

You are absolutely right about Tampa, I don't know how I put them in the maybe column. That was a mistake. However, the other maybe's I stand by.

Falcons:

TJ Duckett is not a feature back. the last 4 years he gained:
2005... 380 yds
2004... 505 yds
2003... 779 yds
2002... 507 yds

Warrick Dunn
He had 2 good years, but he gets hurt every year and I believe he is hurt right now.

Also, if the Falcons are trying to get Vick to stay in the pocket more so he doesn't get dinged every few games, they will need a very good running back.

Rene -
You can't look at things in a vacuum. Nor can you just pick and choose how you read the stats. It will come back to bite you.

1st off, Duckett has been the the THUNDER to Warrick Dunn's LIGHTNING. Duckett has been made the short yardage back. You should also look at the fact that the one year that Duckett was the major starter, Duckett had 11 TDs. He had 1 100 yard game and 2 that were nearly 100 yards.

Also, not sure how you can say that Dunn gets hurt every year since he played and started all 16 games over the last 2 season.

Rene Vallieres said:
Titans:

Yes, they have Chris Brown and Travis Henry. That's why I put them on the maybe list.

Chris Brown played in 15 games last year and had only 800 yds. for a 3.9 av per carry.

Travis Henry played in 10 games and had only 335 yds. for a 3.3 av. per carry. Also, he's hurt a lot too.

Again, you can't look at things in a vacuum. This was a huge rebuilding year for the Titans. They have been in cap hell the last 2 years and haven't had the money to bring in decent vet o-line to help themselves out. Also, the loss of so many vets has hurt them.

Though Chris Brown played in 15 games, you have to make sure you take into consideration that the Titans were playing from behind many times as well. So he's not going to get many carries. There were only 5 games that he got 20 or more carries. There were 2 more that he got 19 and 18 carries. That is only 7 games where he touched the ball close to 20 times. In the other 8 games, Brown touched the ball a little over 10 times per game. Its hard to establish anything like that.

As for Henry, the last 2 years have been tough for him. The Titans could cut him, but they would then have to eat any money that they had shifted into a signing bonus after they traded for Henry.

I think that the Titans have bigger worries (OT, QB, WR) that they need to worry about.

Rene Vallieres said:
Steelers:

This could be a maybe because Bettis is gone. Duce Staley is hurt a lot. The last 3 years he gained 138 (this year), 800 (last year), 400 (3 years ago.)
Willie parker is a very good running back and had a very good year. But is he a 25-30 carry a game feature back that Cowher must have? or would he love to pick up Lendale White? Of course, the Steelers pick 31 or 32, so he won't have to worry about making that decision, unless he trades up, which I don't think he'll do. But I put them in the maybe category.

Anyway, that was my reasoning. Sorry about Tampa, I wasn't paying attention. :D

We both forgot about the fact that the Steelers have a another good back in Verron Haynes. He is their 3rd down back and runs decently enough when given the chance.

Could the Steelers take a RB? Yeah. I guess they could. I think they might be focused elsewhere, though. O-line and D-line come to mind. Potentially WR, though they have Cedric Wilson and Quincy Morgan waiting behind Randall-El.

rookBoston said:
I agree that the #21 pick is value-placed to select a TE... unless someone unexpectedly falls. That's a problem for me, because I think our need at LB is urgent.

This is a historic year for LBs and DE-tweeners in the draft. BB has been looking for years.

To me, that's it: LB, DB, WR and an outside shot at OL. If the loss of Fauria seems traumatic (why?) then maybe a Day One pick at TE; How about Fasano in the 3rd? But, all this talk about RB... that is truly a luxury pick we cant afford. If White drops, well, that's a special opportunity. But I think it is far more likely that BB drafts Manny Lawson or Darryl Tapp... or Carpenter if he passes the brain test.

At RB, IMO it's Lendale White, or nothing at RB.

It's scarcely worth my responding here, because RookBoston's post expresses my opinions eerily well.

As another OLB prospect, what do you think of Stanley McClover DE of Auburn?

from what im hearing, the steelers are gonna possibly give up awtwaan randle el......also a couple of my friends said that new england should pick him up..lol..for the future benfits of the patriots i think....not! Randle El would ruin the team......thats y i think the steelers let him go.... :rocker: good luck next year patriots!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes