PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

1st Round Wishlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatepatsfan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Ok here we are about 3 months away from the draft, but I can't wait for it, like I'm sure most of you too.

Who would you like to take in the 1st round?

Make them realistic cuz I think it is fair to say most of us would take Reggie Bush given the opportunity.

My pick, before free agency addresses certain needs, would be Michael Huff from Texas. The guy can play S or CB, and his versatility would definitely be welcomed in our secondary.

I think we should draft Huff, Greenway or LenDale White....it's possible that one could drop to 21, though we might have to trade up a few spots to get them....if they aren't available when we pick, BB should trade down to late first round and take perhaps a Ko Simpson or Carpenter

I like Darnell Bing, Greenway and Carpenter,,,we need help at CB and LB

Carpenter is a complete moron from what I hear. I don't want him in Round 2 let alone Round 1. There's a huge list of who we might get, in no particular order:

DeMeco Ryans
Tye Hill
LenDale White
Antonio Cromartie
Laurence Maroney
Darnell Bing
Ko Simpson
Marcus McNeill
Eric Winston
Winston Justice
Santonio Holmes
Mathias Kiwanuka
Manny Lawson
Jon Scott
Chad Greenway
Jimmy Williams
Michael Huff

drew4008 said:
Carpenter is a complete moron from what I hear.

i hear this from scouts inc...

Has great intelligence and picks schemes/assignments up quickly. A hard worker on and off the field. Durable and reliable. No character issues. Has versatility because of experience at SLB and DE. Also has been a playmaker on special teams and has the physical tools and mentality to contribute in that facet of the game in the NFL.

drew4008 said:
Carpenter is a complete moron from what I hear. I don't want him in Round 2 let alone Round 1.

ayjackson said:
i hear this from scouts inc...

Has great intelligence and picks schemes/assignments up quickly. A hard worker on and off the field. Durable and reliable. No character issues. Has versatility because of experience at SLB and DE. Also has been a playmaker on special teams and has the physical tools and mentality to contribute in that facet of the game in the NFL.

I've heard both reports. As a result, I am thoroughly baffled about this player. In theory, he looks like a great fit for the Pats in his size, speed, skill set, background (son of a coach, etc.) -- almost like a Vrabel who already plays standing up. But Vrabel, of course, is "the smartest kid in the class."

Does anybody have any real insight on Carpenter's football intelligence? Where do the "dumb as a post" rumors come from?

i guess if BB drafts him, we know the answer

aabtec said:
I like Darnell Bing, Greenway and Carpenter,,,we need help at CB and LB

Bing reminds me of Tbuckey Jones...I don't like it

My list of candidates for the Pats in the first... I'm hoping to cut this list back by about 50% based on un-measurables, intangibles.

RB Reggie Bush (out of reach)
DE Mario Williams (out of reach)
LB AJ Hawk (out of reach)
RB Deangelo Williams (out of reach)
NT Haloti Ngata (out of reach)

LB Chad Greenway
RB LenDale White
LB Mathias Kiwanuka
LB Manny Lawson
SS Michael Huff
LB Bobby Carpenter
TE Vernon Davis
TE Leonard Pope
OC Nick Mangold
CB Richard Marshall
DE Orien Harris
CB Ashton Youboty
LB Darryl Tapp

I've heard the "Carpenter is dumb" stuff, too. I'm not ready to write him off. He's one of the best fits for our defensive scheme to come along in years.

rookBoston said:
My list of candidates for the Pats in the first... I'm hoping to cut this list back by about 50% based on un-measurables, intangibles.

RB Reggie Bush (out of reach)
DE Mario Williams (out of reach)
LB AJ Hawk (out of reach)
RB Deangelo Williams (out of reach)
NT Haloti Ngata (out of reach)

LB Chad Greenway
RB LenDale White
LB Mathias Kiwanuka
LB Manny Lawson
SS Michael Huff
LB Bobby Carpenter
TE Vernon Davis
TE Leonard Pope
OC Nick Mangold
CB Richard Marshall
DE Orien Harris
CB Ashton Youboty
LB Darryl Tapp

I've heard the "Carpenter is dumb" stuff, too. I'm not ready to write him off. He's one of the best fits for our defensive scheme to come along in years.

well, if all those folks are on the board when we pick (they won't), i would have to rank the top five as:

Huff
White
Youboty
Greenway
Kiwanuka

Boston Boxer said:
well, if all those folks are on the board when we pick (they won't), i would have to rank the top five as:

Huff
White
Youboty
Greenway
Kiwanuka

I like that list. I might replace Kiwanuka with Lawson.

The thing that makes me worried is the possibility (likelihood?) that none of these five would last past #15.

Certainly, White and Greenway are the most likely to come off the board before we have a shot at them.

1st Rnd Running Back Analysis

Would the Pats take a RB in the 1st Rnd? Yes, but of course it would depend who is there. Personally, unless Lendale White or Deangelo Williams is there at 21, I say wait till the later rounds or get one in a trade. LB is the way to go, providing we can get a top guy. Anyway, who could we get at RB, assuming that's what BB wants? I think the only considerations for the first Rnd are: Bush, Deangelo Williams, Lendale White or Laurence Maroney. The texans are taking Bush, so there are really only the three to consider. (I am assuming no one trades up)

The teams who I feel would absolutely not consider a RB in the 1st Rnd are: Bills, Dolphins, Bengals, Browns, Broncos, Chiefs, Chargers, Cowboys, Giants, Bears, Lions, Saints (unless Bush were to fall, which he won't), Carolina, rams, and Seahawks.

The teams who may are: Arizona (who knows what they'll do.) Jets (but would they spend one that early on a RB? I don't think so, unless they love Lendale White), Steelers (they will pick after us), Jaguars (they pick after us), Titans, Raiders, Packers, Tampa (but the same goes for these teams..would they take an RB that early. I'm thinking, no)

The teams that would most likely consider a RB in the 1st Rnd are: Texans (They take Bush), Colts (they may have to dump Edge James, but they pick after us), Pats, and the 4 most likely teams to pick a RB: 49'ers (they could take Lendale White, but if a good LB is there, that's what they may do), Falcons (if they feel offense is more important than defense), Viking & Ravens (they could easily go for Lendale White or Deangelo Williams.)

So, anyway you look at it, Laurence Maroney will most probably be there at 21. I think that's where the Pats should go. If by some act of God, Lendale White or Deangelo Williams falls, either one would be fine. The only knock on Maroney is his catching ability, but, as I said in another post, Minnesota never asked him to catch. It was run, run, run. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Boston Boxer said:
Bing reminds me of Tbuckey Jones...I don't like it

I mis-spoke...I was thinking Greg Blue when i saw Bing. I like Bing, i do not like Blue

rookBoston said:
I like that list. I might replace Kiwanuka with Lawson.

The thing that makes me worried is the possibility (likelihood?) that none of these five would last past #15.

Certainly, White and Greenway are the most likely to come off the board before we have a shot at them.

I agree with all this...and in a deep draft, I'd hate to waste a 2nd or 3rd trading up unless there's an extraordinary opportunity. So perhaps the question becomes: who makes it worth not trading down?

Leaving aside the major pipe dreams (Ferguson, Hawk), my preliminary "worth it" list looks a lot like yours:

Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa
Michael Huff, DB, Texas
Manny Lawson, LB, NC State
LenDale White, RB, USC
+ Bobby Carpenter, if the positve reports on his mental game pan out
+ possibly Youboty, R. Marshall or Ko Simpson if db's are going fast

If they're all off the board in my mock, I think I make a trade. Anybody with a hole at TE would probably love a #21.

The Bears are in need of a TE, so they might be players for a trade.

Last edited:
Boston Boxer said:
The Bears are in need of a TE, so they might be players for a trade.

Yes indeedy. None of the teams directly above the Patriots are likely to take a 1st-round TE, but between #23 and #28 the Bucs, Bengals, Bears & Jaguars all could use one -- the Bears & Jaguars most urgently.

If one of the big 3 tight ends (Davis, Pope & Lewis) should sneak into the top 20, things could set up very nicely for the Patriots. Not only would that push other prospects down into range, but Chicago and Jacksonville could find themselves mighty anxious.

Final Note on Carpenter

There may be some confusion between instincts and intelligence.

Intelligence Carpenter has. He knows where to lineup and would his assignments are in running and passing plays and how to read plays in progress.

Instincts are something Carpenter does not possess. Instinct is a feel. The ability to know ahead of time what's going to happen and get there first and with authority. Bruschi, McGinest, Vrabel, Harrison, and especially Law have awesome instincts. These players play a step ahead of the offense. They really on their instincts to tell them ahead of time what's going to happen so they can take action or bait the offense. Law and Bruschi are very good at baiting opposing offenses.

When the ball is snapped if you are a defensive player, one of two things happens. Either A.) You have to wait a second to read where the play is going and then react. or B.) You are already moving to the correct spot because your instincts are telling you what is going to happen before you lose valuable time reading it.

BB craves and has collected a bunch of B.) type guys with the ability to make plays with their instincts on his defense. A.) type guys can be 4.0 students and watch 60 hours of film a week, but if they don't have that feeling in their gut and the ability to act on it they can never be a B.) type guy.

Schnegel the MLB for OSU called out a bunch of presnap reads for Carpenter. Only on pure easy passing plays did you see first step instinct from Carpenter. Almost all the other times he had to read first.

Rene Vallieres said:
So, anyway you look at it, Laurence Maroney will most probably be there at 21. I think that's where the Pats should go. If by some act of God, Lendale White or Deangelo Williams falls, either one would be fine. The only knock on Maroney is his catching ability, but, as I said in another post, Minnesota never asked him to catch. It was run, run, run. Any thoughts?

i'm sceptical of Mauroney....i've heard that the Gopher O-Line was devastating...i'd prefer to stay away from mauroney in the first round....but i'll defer to BB and SP

the question i have is that if we draft a linebacker at 21, wouldn't he be a starter??? If BB wants to go Colvin-Bruschi-Vrabel-McGinnest for next year, why doesn't he stack up on LB's in the third and fourth rounds and develop them to start in '07? or draft an LB in the first round next year if the projects aren't panning out? i think the 21st pick should be a starter. Though kiwanuka may indeed start over colvin or McG, would it significantly improve our team next year?

ayjackson said:
the question i have is that if we draft a linebacker at 21, wouldn't he be a starter??? If BB wants to go Colvin-Bruschi-Vrabel-McGinnest for next year, why doesn't he stack up on LB's in the third and fourth rounds and develop them to start in '07? or draft an LB in the first round next year if the projects aren't panning out? i think the 21st pick should be a starter. Though kiwanuka may indeed start over colvin or McG, would it significantly improve our team next year?

In the Patriots scheme, LB strikes me as a position where you would not want any rookie to start, almost like QB. Just look at the comments from a veteran like Chad Brown on how much he had to learn coming to the Pats. At the same time, the the OLB position in particular requires an extraordinary body type -- big, tall and fast -- that you can't expect to find past the first 2 rounds. So if you want a starting-caliber OLB for 2007, you'd likely have to use your #1 from 2006 and show some patience.

Rene Vallieres said:
Would the Pats take a RB in the 1st Rnd? Yes, but of course it would depend who is there. Personally, unless Lendale White or Deangelo Williams is there at 21, I say wait till the later rounds or get one in a trade. LB is the way to go, providing we can get a top guy. Anyway, who could we get at RB, assuming that's what BB wants? I think the only considerations for the first Rnd are: Bush, Deangelo Williams, Lendale White or Laurence Maroney. The texans are taking Bush, so there are really only the three to consider. (I am assuming no one trades up)

The teams who I feel would absolutely not consider a RB in the 1st Rnd are: Bills, Dolphins, Bengals, Browns, Broncos, Chiefs, Chargers, Cowboys, Giants, Bears, Lions, Saints (unless Bush were to fall, which he won't), Carolina, rams, and Seahawks.

The teams who may are: Arizona (who knows what they'll do.) Jets (but would they spend one that early on a RB? I don't think so, unless they love Lendale White), Steelers (they will pick after us), Jaguars (they pick after us), Titans, Raiders, Packers, Tampa (but the same goes for these teams..would they take an RB that early. I'm thinking, no)

The teams that would most likely consider a RB in the 1st Rnd are: Texans (They take Bush), Colts (they may have to dump Edge James, but they pick after us), Pats, and the 4 most likely teams to pick a RB: 49'ers (they could take Lendale White, but if a good LB is there, that's what they may do), Falcons (if they feel offense is more important than defense), Viking & Ravens (they could easily go for Lendale White or Deangelo Williams.)

Can you help me understand some of your reasoning?

Atlanta - Why would they look at a 1st round RB when they already have Warrick Dunn and TJ Duckett. Not to mention psuedo QB/RB Michael Vick.

Tampa - They spent a 1st round pick last year on Cadillac Williams. Why would they spend another ?

Colts - They could very well be in the market for a RB since James announced he won't be returning to the Colts.

Steelers - They have Willie Parker and Duce Staley. Highly doubtful they spend a first on a RB.

Titans - They have Chris Brown and Travis Henry. Why would they add another RB?

Texans - I know that they were making announcements about taking Bush, but that was before they hired Kubiak. They already have a good RB in Dominic Davis. I don't see them taking a RB unless Davis is traded. They would be better off trading down and taking someone like D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Vince Young would also be a wise pick for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes