PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

18 Almost Locks On Defense

No sir, because he's a higher round draft pick.

I'm more curious about this guy than anyone else the Pats drafted, since he wasn't even on other teams' UDFA lists.

Agreed.

Harmon is more of a safety prospect that Ebner was/is. The issue that bothers most of us was that Harmon was drafted earlier. Had Buchanan and Harmon been switched in the draft placings, there would be no issue with either pick.

I'm more curious about this guy than anyone else the Pats drafted, since he wasn't even on other teams' UDFA lists.

Gregory is the reason that A. Wilson didn't make sense, and a top-level prospect (Elam, Cyprien, Swearinger) did. His deal is tailor made for a post-2013 release, which would have perfectly fit a rookie safety being eased into the starting role over the course of a season and setting up a theoretical 3-man crew of McCourty/T. Wilson/Rookie.

A. Wilson is a SS and Gregory more of a FS. It is like comparing a 190 lbs player to a 220 lbs player. Wilson is here to smack people around, Gregory..not so much.

Agreed.

Harmon is more of a safety prospect that Ebner was/is. The issue that bothers most of us was that Harmon was drafted earlier. Had Buchanan and Harmon been switched in the draft placings, there would be no issue with either pick.

Harmon is James Sanders, I am happy with such a player.

I will be very happy with the pick if Harmon is anywhere near as productive for us as James Sanders.

Harmon is James Sanders, I am happy with such a player.

A. Wilson is a SS and Gregory more of a FS. It is like comparing a 190 lbs player to a 220 lbs player. Wilson is here to smack people around, Gregory..not so much.

The Patriots play left/right, not SS/FS, and they've played that way for a fair number of years now. A. Wilson is a declining safety who's team felt he could no longer cover.

I like Gregory and want to keep him.

However consider the situation if McCourty and A. Smith are starting. Gregory might be #3 or #4. Since he plays no special teams, some don't want to give him a roster spot. They'd give it to Ebner instead, not because he is a better safety, but because he is a special teamer.
Gregory has a ton of special teams experience. Totally wrong to say he plays no special teams.

I like Gregory and want to keep him.

However consider the situation if McCourty and A. Smith are starting. Gregory might be #3 or #4. Since he plays no special teams, some don't want to give him a roster spot. They'd give it to Ebner instead, not because he is a better safety, but because he is a special teamer.

Gregory is a very good ST player. It's actually how he received his opportunity in SD.

Ebner was underwhelming on ST last season if you ask me. But hopefully a full offseason will show in his performance.

The Patriots play left/right, not SS/FS, and they've played that way for a fair number of years now. A. Wilson is a declining safety who's team felt he could no longer cover.

Great point on the alignment. I see Adrian Wilson being used situationally as an in the box safety against running teams, and a coverage LB in the sub packages.

It wasn't pretty last year having to rely on him as a starter.

That said, he's probably just fine as a #4 safety who can take rotational reps or even start a game or two in a pinch. I don't think he's necessarily "good," but he's probably not much worse than most other #4 safeties. Luckily we now have McCourty, A.Wilson, and T.Wilson ahead of him if he stays.

I think the aspect you need to look at is how much they'll expect Harmon to play this season. If he can take over the #4 or even #3 role, then it may make Gregory much more expendable. We likely won't know until TC/preseason.

Wasn't he brought in to be a starter, if memory serves me correctly, he was with the starters from the time he came in, and he was paid pretty decently too.

Yes, the Patriots have stated numerous times that they play left and right safety. Now tell me, is that what your eyes tell you that they do? Wilson will play the role of coverage LB more than likely.

At first glance it is impressive, lets see what is going on in November..

But reason for a lot of optimism..

yes.......because hindsight is awesome

Barring injuries, I see these players as locks or as almost locks.

DEFENSE (18)
DE (2) Jones, Ninkovich
DT (2) Wilfork, Kelly
LB (5) Mayo, Hightower, Collins, Spikes, Fletcher
CB (5) Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Dowling, Ryan
S (4) McCourty, Wilson, Wilson, Harmon

Obviously, there is great opportunities/competition for remaining DL roster spots. This is much less so for other defensive roster spots.

It seems curious that the secondary is all but set. We could keep 9 or we could add Gregory and/or Ebner. The LB's, CB's and S's listed are likely to get 95% of the reps. The only other player who could get significant reps is Gregory.

Clearly there is room at the bottom for special teamers and developmental players.

armstead is a lock.....

Wasn't he brought in to be a starter, if memory serves me correctly, he was with the starters from the time he came in, and he was paid pretty decently too.

Yes, he was pretty much assumed a starting role from day one and paid pretty well to do so. He and Patrick Chung were the 2 penciled in starters.

Of course Tavon Wilson was the draft pick and he saw more action as both a dime CB and as a safety due to the problems at the position. On top of that, McCourty was moved back there permanently down the stretch run. Then Adrian Wilson was added in the offseason and Duron Harmon was drafted in round #3, so that's where I get "Gregory is an adequate #4" from.

The presumption is that the players are healthy. I think a healthy Fletcher is a near lock to make the 53. As I recall, he is a pretty solid Ster.

and Fletcher is not

Agreed.

If Harmon can give us close to what Tavon Wilson gave us last year I'd be thrilled personally.

The presumption is that the players are healthy. I think a healthy Fletcher is a near lock to make the 53. As I recall, he is a pretty solid Ster.

Fletcher is the defensive version of Edelman. Always on the fridge of taking that next step to become a good player and then an injury sets them back.

I hope that Fletcher is healthy and makes the roster, I think he has a ton of potential and would be a huge upgrade in coverage over Spikes.

But given his injury history and inconsistent play to this point I would agree with Andy that he isn't a lock. Beauharnais and Rivera also will be competitive for that roster spot and I can't discount either at this time.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back