Welcome to PatsFans.com

17 Years Ago, Today

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Turk, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Turk

Turk Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The Armenian Orthodox Church....religion of love.

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

No offense bro, but what's your point here? I'm having a tough time understanding whatever it is that you are trying to say.

4. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

here's a tissue

all I know was that muslims were dancing in the streets after 9/11.......you'd figure that at some point, that part of the world would learn something......but probably not

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

And Americans were dancing in the streets while we waged an unnecessary war in Iraq that killed tens of thousands of civilians, including women and children.

Wonder how you would have felt if someone posted, "here's a tissue" in response to the horror of 9/11? Your coldness is sad.

6. Real World

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

The death of the innocent, especially children, is always tragic. Whether they are muslim kids, catholic kids, Jews, black, white, green, fat, skinny, etc. I don't think anyone would disagree, regardless of who was dancing where, when a certain type of music were playing.

7. Turk

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

That Feb 26th is the 17th anniversary of this dark day.

That most of us are not even aware of this atrocity.

That, even the atrocities we are made aware of, are hand picked.

That those lands are still occupied, in spite of UN resolutions.

That, when we are made aware, there could be callous racists like "tanked" who in their hateful ignorance, equate the few idiots they saw on tv, to the whole Muslim World.
    Because if they had bothered reading a book or two, ie Sam Weems', they would find out about the many tearful Muslims hugging Sam Weems, a retired judge from Arkansas, and offering condolences on the streets of Turkey, on 9/11.

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Also, according to some, it was 20 years ago today that Sgt. Pepper's band began to play.

9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

you must've missed the candle light vigils in Terhan....

Iran mourns America's dead

TIME is kindof an underground magazine, so I can understand if you missed it.

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

No offense bro, but I'm sure you won't be shedding a tear on March 16th, or April 24th. I'd assume, and obviously an assumption puts forth the notion of possible inaccuracy, that you haven't shed a tear every July since 1995. How about June 3rd? Is that a day of remourse for you? If none, or if any, of these dates ring hollow to you, or to anyone in the world, then it is clearly indicitive of the fact that people don't care about:

The women & children who died in Halabja.
    The million plus innocents who died in Armenia.
    The fathers & sons who were masacred in Srebrenica.
    The civilian moms and dads, sons, and daughter, who were massacred in Tiananmen Square.

All of these atrocities happened, and while some are mentioned in the press as historical events, how many other individual stories, or attrocities, aren't? How many people genuinely care, or mourn those who were lost on those days? Do they do so cuz the people were of a specific religion, race, gender, or class? Nope. So while every loss of life is both tragic, and unfortunate, insinuating that people don't care because they are muslim, makes little sense IMO.

11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Gee when I saw the thrwead I thought it might be about the first WTC bombing but realized the timing was off by a year...

12. Turk

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

None taken, "bro".
    Mostly because you are more mistaken with your self-admmitted assumptions than you are correct.

I do mourn for any loss of life and take a stand against those who claim the necessity of it for any reason. There is no excuse for killing children and there certainly is no nobility or heroism in it.

Since you have brought up April 24th, for obvious reasons, let me inform you that I do pray for all the loss of life and my mourning is for all the victims of those days and not just one side, which is exactly the point here because you may be surprised to hear that approx 2 million Muslims also lost their lives in those days, in that conflict.
    Obviously, you have some degree of exposure to those tragic days, but have you ever been exposed to the losses of the other side, the one of the accused?

Ermeni Sorunu, Armenian Question, Der Armenier Konflikt, Question Armenienne - FORSNET

Just last year, a Turkish friend of Armenian descent, put on a show and played "Sari Gelin' which is a song about the sad story of a Turkish bride and an Armenian groom from those times, to a packed audience of almost 2000 people. Turks and Armenians all were singing along with tears in everyone's eyes and afterwards people were openly hugging each other.

That's how you heal. By tending to each other's wounds.
    Those are my thoughts on April 24th.

My point is that while you may disagree, we simply are not made aware of or at least it is not put in front of us periodically when these atrocities happen in third world countries.

Just ask yourself about how many times you had heard about Hojali, if ever?

Then ask yourself a second question, what if the situation were reversed?
    What if it were the Muslims of the former Yugoslavia that were on a genocidal mission against their Christian neighbors, or the Muslim Azerbejanis against their Christian Armenian neighbors? How much news would that have made?

What would the reaction have been, of the "civilized" world? The Church?
    How swift?
    How many movies would have been made about it?

It is not by any coincidence that certain acts against humanity make the news while certain others are swept under the rug by our MSM. They just don't gather enough interest. "Muslim children dying" is boring. Christian or Jewish children on the other hand, that is news!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

October 28th.

I don't mean to come across as insensitive to the atrocity you mention in this thread. My point is simple, that all losses of innocent life are tragic, and whether it's muslim, christian, or atheist, is irrelevent. The fact that Hojali isn't celebrated in the press, has more to do with the fact that it's low on the massacre/atrocity totem pole, and less to do with the fact that the victims were muslim. My commenting in this thread is only related to that last point.