PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

16-0 will be remembered REGARDLESS of a Superbowl win

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree completely. As others have said, most who are claiming that it doesn't count unless they win three more games are Patriot haters. 16-0 stands alone as one of the greatest achievements in NFL history. If they don't win the SuperBowl it will be disappointing and will end "greatest team of all time" talk, but 16-0 will remain a singular accomplishment. Most teams and individuals who have posted NFL regular season records have not won championships in the years that they established the records. It hardly means that the records are meaningless.

I wont remember it. Actually I will. BUT IT WILL BE WORTHLESS WITHOUT A SUPERBOWL. We will be known as the biggest chokers of all time. IMHO.

It's all perspective, and what it means to you. In 2004 (Ben's rookie year) the Steelers became the first team in the history of the AFC to go 15-1 in the regular season. We lost to you guys in the championship game and I couldn't have possibly cared less about that achievment... still don't. 15-1 isn't 16-0 but it's not far off, and we did that with a rookie QB.

Regular season wins/losses are great for one thing... positioning yourself in the playoffs, so you can win the super bowl. Whether fans will admit it or not, losing in the playoffs would crush your fans and leave you with an even worse feeling than you'd normally have after a playoff defeat.

FACT: Anything less than the Lombardi trophy for you guys and it will be remembered as a complete collapse... a choke job if you will.

I wont remember it. Actually I will. BUT IT WILL BE WORTHLESS WITHOUT A SUPERBOWL. We will be known as the biggest chokers of all time. IMHO.

Those who hate the Patriots will say it, but, then again, they'll say anything no matter how stupid. If the Patriots were to lose, it depends to whom they would lose. Most knowledgable football fans recognize that the Colts - the defending SuperBowl champs - are a formidable team. A loss to the Colts will not be the biggest choke of all time. If they get to play the Titans and lose, or play the Redskins in the SuperBowl and lose, yes, it might be considered one of the greatest chokes.

A "choke" to me is more related to a game situation than a loss in and of itself. The Yanks "choked" to the Sox because they were 3 outs away and 3 games to none up. If someone had said the Sox would beat them prior to thatSeries and the Sox had won games 2, 4 , 5 and 7 there would not have been any talk of a choke. It's the same with this post season. If we lost to Tennessee that may be a choke because they stink in my opinion. If we are up 14 points in the 4th quarter and let the Jags come back and beat us that would likely be a choke. Missing a gimme field goal or dropping an easy touchdown with the game on the line could be considered a choke. Losing to the Colts, Chargers or Cowboys in a hard fought game would not be considered a choke in my book. Major disappoinment, absolutely.

There are some years that I can look back on fondly even when we did not win it all. (1986, 1996, 2005 - because we fought through all those injuries) I can still watch games from the 1975 World Series but can't watch a pitch of the 2003 ALCS. I tend to think this year will be one I will always be able to look back on with a smile. The next few weeks will let me know for sure.

Does anyone talk about the Dolphin's being the best of all time (other than dolphin's players)?
No. Even though they went 17-0.

If the Patriots go 16,17,18-1.
Yes, People will talk about the Patriots being undefeated.
No, They will not talk about the Patriots being the best of all time.

If the Patriots go 19-0.
Yes, People will talk about the Patriots being undefeated
Yes, they will be the frontrunners in the best of all time discussions.

I agree completely. As others have said, most who are claiming that it doesn't count unless they win three more games are Patriot haters. 16-0 stands alone as one of the greatest achievements in NFL history. If they don't win the SuperBowl it will be disappointing and will end "greatest team of all time" talk, but 16-0 will remain a singular accomplishment. Most teams and individuals who have posted NFL regular season records have not won championships in the years that they established the records. It hardly means that the records are meaningless.

Well, some haters are already saying that 16-0 was pure "luck" as the Pats should have lost to the Ravens and narrowly escaped a loss with the Eagles, Colts, etc. They also point out that we didn't wallop the Dolphins who won a single game and that too, beyond regulation time (lucky overtime shot).

I think that if you are a fan, you should be happy with the way the team has performed and if others are not too happy, hey, tough luck... Let them say whatever they want to, it's their opinion. You can't force everyone to like you. That's a fact of life and if you are a champion, the love hate ratio is roughly 50 - 50 or worse, depending on how great a champion you are.

You can't win them all is an old saying that always rings true.

True. A 16-0 season with no Superbowl win will go down as the biggest choke job in the history of the NFL.

Charger fan knows all about "chokes"

16-0 with no SB ring will be the biggest disappointment (not choke) in history, topping the vikings 15-1 year.

Drama Queens on both sides. The regular season is only to make the playoffs. That's accomplished.

If they are beaten in the playoffs, so be it. The team with the best record is often beaten in the playoffs.

Fortunately, the Patriots are focused on winning three games, rather than if the media (oh my gosh) thinks they are the biggest chokes of all time or the greatest thing since sliced bread.:rolleyes:

Building my silver pyramid with 18-* on it to hang with the other three silver pyramids with silver footballs on top.

It is a reminder of unfinished business carried forth.

16-0 is a great accomplishment. True, it isn't 19-0. But we have just witnessed the greatest amount of consecutive wins in an NFL season. I am really disturbed by the amount of you so called long term fans jumping ship. Are you a fan just when we win? or does it make you feel good to rip the team you were praising just 48 hours ago? Talk about POSERS! I LOVE THE PATS, ALWYS HAVE ALWAYS WILL! LOOK OUT STRAHAN, YOU PIECE OF GAP TOOTHED EXC...RAMENT! You thought SPYGATE piss'd us off!

16-0 is good but it is not going to be great when your record is 18-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes