Welcome to PatsFans.com

15 vs 17 inch Mac Book Pro

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by otis p. driftwood, Jul 3, 2008.

1. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So I currently have a first generation MacBook Pro that I bought as a recon from Apple. My company is doing well, and I've been offered the chance to upgrade--even to the 17" screen if I want.

I originally bought the 15 as a compromise between portability and the extreme lack of cool (my own opinion) offered by a plastic case...something about the brushed metal look is just better.

Anyway, I've wound up not traveling a lot with it, but I already have the protective sleeve and Wenger back pack for the 15...and originally I said I'd be happy with just replacing it with a new 15", but since I said that I've begun to waffle.

I have no experience with a 17" laptop, as far as weight and size go, so I have nothing to measure it against. I'm not certain the extra couple of inches of screen size is worth it...or not.

So I know we've got a couple of Mac guys here, and I was hoping maybe someone could offer some helpful opinions (you know, like...of course I want the 17. Duh, it's bigger, that means it's better, right! LOL).

2. Canada's #1 Pats Fan

Canada's #1 Pats Fan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That's tough call. I have the 15 inch power book. It is about 4 years old and I will definitely be upgrading in the next couple of months. The 17 inch looks bulky and cumbersome but on the other hand if I have the chance to upgrade, I probably would. From the 17 inch books I 've tried there isn't a real noticeable difference in weight. What's your gut feeling on this?

3. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Gut feeling is that I want the biggest and best, especially if someone else is paying. LOL.

But really, it's a question of portability I think. I got the 15 originally because everyone said it was easier to haul around.

4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Is there an Apple or Apple retailer store near you where you can try before you buy? If I don't have to pay for it I'd probably go with the 17" It has twice the L2 cache on the chip and twice the VRAM. But, it is big. I bought my first laptop in 2002 with a 12" iBook. I thought that was fine since it wasn't my main computer. But, I found that I had it on my lap while watching TV and I never touched the desktop anymore. Since then I've had a 15" Titanium Powerbook and currently a 15" MacBook Pro. I don't know if the extra pound and a half would make a difference on my lap but, other than that the 17" would be my choice.

5. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't know of any. Circuit City used to, but not anymore.

6. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,609 / 9 / -19

#61 Jersey

I just bought the new black MacBook and like it a lot (writing on it now). Interestingly, I was originally going to get the MacBook Pro but the salesman talked me out of it, pointing out that the black MacBook essentially runs the same systems (even has a few advantages) except for specialized video capabilities I really didn't need. I was letting myself be seduced by the silver metal look and bigger screen, but it wasn't really worth the extra $800.

7. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I'm glad you are happy with your Macbook. I considered one when I was looking for a new laptop a few years ago. But, 13" and only 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory for VRAM was a deal breaker for me.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008