15 vs 17 inch Mac Book Pro

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by otis p. driftwood, Jul 3, 2008.

1. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So I currently have a first generation MacBook Pro that I bought as a recon from Apple. My company is doing well, and I've been offered the chance to upgrade--even to the 17" screen if I want.

I originally bought the 15 as a compromise between portability and the extreme lack of cool (my own opinion) offered by a plastic case...something about the brushed metal look is just better.

Anyway, I've wound up not traveling a lot with it, but I already have the protective sleeve and Wenger back pack for the 15...and originally I said I'd be happy with just replacing it with a new 15", but since I said that I've begun to waffle.

I have no experience with a 17" laptop, as far as weight and size go, so I have nothing to measure it against. I'm not certain the extra couple of inches of screen size is worth it...or not.

So I know we've got a couple of Mac guys here, and I was hoping maybe someone could offer some helpful opinions (you know, like...of course I want the 17. Duh, it's bigger, that means it's better, right! LOL).

2. Canada's #1 Pats Fan

Canada's #1 Pats Fan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

That's tough call. I have the 15 inch power book. It is about 4 years old and I will definitely be upgrading in the next couple of months. The 17 inch looks bulky and cumbersome but on the other hand if I have the chance to upgrade, I probably would. From the 17 inch books I 've tried there isn't a real noticeable difference in weight. What's your gut feeling on this?

3. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Gut feeling is that I want the biggest and best, especially if someone else is paying. LOL.

But really, it's a question of portability I think. I got the 15 originally because everyone said it was easier to haul around.

4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +157 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Is there an Apple or Apple retailer store near you where you can try before you buy? If I don't have to pay for it I'd probably go with the 17" It has twice the L2 cache on the chip and twice the VRAM. But, it is big. I bought my first laptop in 2002 with a 12" iBook. I thought that was fine since it wasn't my main computer. But, I found that I had it on my lap while watching TV and I never touched the desktop anymore. Since then I've had a 15" Titanium Powerbook and currently a 15" MacBook Pro. I don't know if the extra pound and a half would make a difference on my lap but, other than that the 17" would be my choice.

5. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't know of any. Circuit City used to, but not anymore.

6. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,397 / 22 / -36

#61 Jersey

I just bought the new black MacBook and like it a lot (writing on it now). Interestingly, I was originally going to get the MacBook Pro but the salesman talked me out of it, pointing out that the black MacBook essentially runs the same systems (even has a few advantages) except for specialized video capabilities I really didn't need. I was letting myself be seduced by the silver metal look and bigger screen, but it wasn't really worth the extra $800.

7. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +157 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

I'm glad you are happy with your Macbook. I considered one when I was looking for a new laptop a few years ago. But, 13" and only 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory for VRAM was a deal breaker for me.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008