PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

15 days and counting who will be cut???

Status
Not open for further replies.
somtimes its hard to now exactly when it is official..when the paperwork is signed?? when teh league office has it? When it's on teh NFLPA site?? Not sure what the gating factor is in that...unlike cuts which are time based. I still will go with a WR as a first...Jones/Dunlap..but again, only BB and the coaches know what is going on.

I go by http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL+Zone/Transactions/default.htm?mode=afceast, which is essentially the most official feed out there for transactions. However, they usually don't post them until the next day, so we'll just have to wait.

Is today the day????

I say Johnathan Smith will be the victim...

I say Johnathan Smith will be the victim..
Ahhhh...I haven't thought about him...but certainly he'll be in teh running...I thought more chance of a Dunlap or Jones...newer on teh squad...BUT upi may be correct.

Per Reiss...Chad Brown signed...CUT Antwain Spann, Jake Nordin and Jonathan Smith...interesting!! Sean...you GOT IT!!! Pats1...you got Nordin...

OK, so the Pats still have to make at least 3 other cuts to sign the rest of their rookies.

Thoughts, anyone?

I'll stick with Dunlap, Malone, and Anam, meaning West and Jackson get spared.

OK, so the Pats still have to make at least 3 other cuts to sign the rest of their rookies.

Thoughts, anyone?

I'll stick with Dunlap, Malone, and Anam, meaning West and Jackson get spared.
Dunlap and Malone were always on my list...I also had CJ Jones..but with Smith gone, they may keep more wideouts. I was a bit surprised by Spann as I thought he had improved some and had made some solid ST play. Nordin was a long shot...but that may mean they see more in Kranchick. I wonder...who else??

So are two due to get the ax today?? 83 as the number (3 NFLE) +get paid + BM unsigned..85....87 now -2 to be cut...

So are two due to get the ax today?? 83 as the number (3 NFLE) +get paid + BM unsigned..85....87 now -2 to be cut...

The Elgin and Brown signings went official on Monday, so I've been waiting for those 2 cuts since then.

The Elgin and Brown signings went official on Monday, so I've been waiting for those 2 cuts since then.
So I wonder why the ax has not fallen?? I stioll think Malone and Dunlap are the ones to go...

I was just thinking about this for a minute.

The Pats currently have 85 total players on their roster. Minus the 3 NFLE and A$ante gives 81.

Now, last year, the Rams put Marshall Faulk on the Active/PUP to start camp, but transfered him to the Reserve/PUP within a few days. This means that a player can indeed be placed on the Reserve/PUP at this point in the season.

I think Eddie Jackson could have gone on Reserve/PUP and it happened to slip through the cracks. That would give 80 currently.

The way I see it, this is what could have happened:

-On July 23, Elgin and K. Brown were signed. This put the Pats over the limit at 82.
-On July 24, the Pats placed Jackson on the Reserve/PUP and K. Brown was possibly suspended around this time, and his suspension possibly could have given the Pats a roster exemption
-On July 27, Meriweather was signed and Hairston was cut. This kept the Pats at 80.
-On July 30, Kareem Brown came back from his suspension and Chad Scott went on IR. This also kept the Pats at 80.

This is the only scenario I can think of that would justify why the Pats are apparently at 81 active players right now, and 82 before Scott's IRing.

However, even this scenario doesn't make sense. Let me run it backwards some more:

-On July 23, Elgin and K. Brown were signed. This Pats over the limit at 82.
-On July 19, C. Brown was signed and Spann, Nordin, and J. Smith were cut. This would have meant that the Pats had 82 before this move.
-On July 11-14, four rookies were signed. This would have meant that the Pats had 78 before this signing.

I think Eddie Jackson could have gone on Reserve/PUP and it happened to slip through the cracks. That would give 80 currently.

That would be a good question to ask BB at the next PC. Nothing else makes sense, otherwise.

Without NFLE next spring, TC rosters should be expanded to 90, and PS rosters to 10. And regular-season rosters to 55, while they're at it.

Last edited:
Is it me or are there less cudown dates, key dates from ESPN.com. No real cuts until August 28 (75 man limit) and then bang 3 days later down to 53. Could lead to a lot of trades in the final 3 days.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2643137
Aug. 4: Pro Football Hall of Fame inductions, Canton, Ohio.
Aug. 5: Hall of Fame Game, Canton, Ohio (New Orleans vs. Pittsburgh).
Aug. 9-13: First full preseason weekend.
Aug. 28: Roster cutdown to 75 players.
Sept. 1: Roster cutdown to 53 players.
Sept. 6: Regular season opener.
Oct. 16: Trading deadline.
Oct. 22-24: Fall meeting, Dallas.
Dec. 29-30: Regular season ends.

Last edited:
Is it me or are there less cudown dates, key dates from ESPN.com. No real cuts until August 28 (75 man limit) and then bang 3 days later down to 53. Could lead to a lot of trades in the final 3 days.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2643137
Aug. 4: Pro Football Hall of Fame inductions, Canton, Ohio.
Aug. 5: Hall of Fame Game, Canton, Ohio (New Orleans vs. Pittsburgh).
Aug. 9-13: First full preseason weekend.
Aug. 28: Roster cutdown to 75 players.
Sept. 1: Roster cutdown to 53 players.
Sept. 6: Regular season opener.
Oct. 16: Trading deadline.
Oct. 22-24: Fall meeting, Dallas.
Dec. 29-30: Regular season ends.

Nope, it's been only 2 cutdowns for awhile now. The only change came last year when the NFLE exemptions expired at the first cut, not the second, and therefore the first cut went from 65 to 75.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back