Welcome to PatsFans.com

14T ? You ain't seen nothing yet.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Jun 14, 2010.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

Sorry to distract from Sarah's rack and which Tea Party candidate is imagined to be the biggest racist. Although this may be related. The politicians have been fiddling while the nation burned. Some more than others some have made the problem even worse (if that is even possible.

The Tea Party Candidates are running due to outrage over government spending which threatens to destroy the country. It may already too late to prevent the economic destruction of the country. The linked article presents a depressing but very clear problem of the train that is heading towards us.

Anyone who doesn't understand this isn't as smart as a 5th graders when it comes to economics.

The Other National Debt - Kevin Williamson - National Review Online

Factoring in all the Government debt we are talking about 130,000,000,000,000 or 130 TRILLION Dollars.

We are screwed folks time to get responsible and CUT SPENDING AND REDO THE ENTITLEMENT PROGRAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess is is easier to speculate about imagined racism and the size of Sarah's rack.

2. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +915 / 6 / -9

3. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

Yeah, because only the left comes up with distracting non-issues (and racism clearly doesn't exist...)

Way to start what should be a legitimate conversation off with partisan bickering.

4. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +227 / 1 / -0

#95 Jersey

Okay let's have an intelligent conversation. What is your solution? My start would be to raise the retirement age to 70 immediately to collect benefits.
    When SS was initiated there were 16 workers for every person collecting and people lived to age 65 on average. Now they live to 80 plus.......and it's two workers for every retiree.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

Where to start....hmmmm....

*Close 80-90% of our bases in foreign countries.
    *Eliminate 80% of foreign aid.
    *Seal the border.
    *Impose $25,000 fines for any company employing an illegal alien.
    *Deport illegals upon apprehension.
    *Announce that every federally funded disability recipient, will be required to resubmit their claim for evaluation. (you would not believe how many 20-30 somethings come walking into my office, looking for an apartment, with their fed disability)
    *Eliminate all government supplied aircraft for non military, or non adminstration members and employees. From now on, all pols and non essentials can fly commercial.
    *Suspend the prescription drug benefit
    *Suspend Obamacare
    *Freeze all purchases of new fighters, bombers, subs, etc.
    *Freeze all bailouts.
    *Eliminate, or consolodate, all redundent government agencies.
    *Slash federal spending 10% across the board. That, or slash it 20%, with a 5% minimum cut each of the next 4 years.
    *Raise the age to collect SS.
    *Means test SS, by way of reducing payments to those who are more wealthy.
    *Open up more lands for energy development, as part of a more comprehensive plan to become energy independent.
    *Pass a balanced budget amendment.

There are countless more, but that will have to do for now.

Oh, I'd legalize pot and prostitution, then regulate and tax them. There's got to be billions to be recouped there.

6. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +915 / 6 / -9

I'm absolutely fine with either raising the retirement age, means testing, or raising the payroll cap (or some combination thereof).

Honestly, SS really requires only modest tinkering to maintain fiscal solvency. Medicare is really the elephant in the corner of the room and is a much more difficult problem to address.

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

SS is in dire trouble dude.

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 5 / -10

Everything in your post is basic American common sense thats why the American Far Left Wing Crazies wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, it doesn't fit into their Blame America Liberal Do-Gooder "bullsh!t"

9. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +915 / 6 / -9

Actually, that's simply not true.

SS is fiscally solvent through at least 2030. And then it's projected to pay out, at worst, 75 percent of benefits.

I believe the numbers that were being tossed around were either a 6 percent hike in premiums or a 13 percent reduction in benefits would be enough to maintain solvency.

As I said, SS is relatively easy to fix. Medicare is the real problem.

10. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +915 / 6 / -9

I agree with at least half of the points he made. At least he's honest enough to include defense spending, which is a third rail of sorts. And I agree with his points re: immigration.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  11. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +227 / 1 / -0

#95 Jersey

My congressman gets on his Facebook page and touts how he's bringing home the bacon. In past years that would have been an asset, but this year it may be a liability when his opponent says " you brought" home $20 million. If every Congressman did that, it adds $10.7 Billion to the deficit.....

12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +593 / 24 / -19

What in the world do you think we can cut to address a $130 trillion deficit? I think you left out an important aspect of responsibility, namely, It's time to raise taxes to at the very least pay for the deficits that Bush and Reagan left behind. If we could get those two deficits out of the way, we'd be somewhat better off. But, we may need additional tax increases (and budget cuts) beyond that.

13. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +915 / 6 / -9

What exactly do you mean by "redo entitlement programs"?

If you want to get serious about cutting spending, the defense budget is where you'd start.

14. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think my only disagreements are foreign bases and foreign aid.
    Foreign bases I would argue help keep America safe and able to act swiftly to world crisis' which keeps us as THE world super power more so than anything else. Foreign aid helps us maintain friendships with other countries that also allows us to maintain strategic alliances which once again helps keep us safe at home.

I still think if we have term limits on congress, make pork spending illegal, and force campaign finance reform, we cut the budget by 50% within 10 years.

15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

Do not disagree with most of the above.. pot might be questionable.. concerns about the young'uns..

Prostitution stands a pizzhole chance in hell, the religious freaks will go bullshyt over that one..

You have to give illegals due process, if you really sealed the border.. the detention would be the exception and not the rule..

Cease all federal pay increases, and impose a 20% decrease of all anyone making over 150K..

Downsize all federal Court staff/budget by 20%

Freeze foreign aid to any country who does not align with us in matters of human rights.. and if they violate them terminate all aid..

Stop the welfare to the farmers, aka subsidies..

Ban all pork barrel spending tied to any congressional action..

Mandate 20% reduction in congressional budgets..

Stop the Submarine program, we can already destroy the world 20 times.. is it necessary to do it 30 times...

Privatize the census function..

Develop better controls on any money spent, and if you violate the rules of the contract or the rules of the US you cannot be eligible for any federal money for 10 years.. would deflate Haliburton and Xe..

Eliminate OSHA..

Eliminate the Department of Education, Energy, Transportation and Labor...

Only allow any bill that is introduced and passed by congress to be no longer than 5 pages.. and pass the average person readibility standard...

Convert the income tax system, to something like the Steve Forbes Post Card System..

Only allow the Department of the Treasury to print functional money, eliminate all collectables..

Make every Federal Building to be no warmer than 60 degrees in the winter, bring a sweater.. and in the summer not to be cooled lower than 80 degrees....

Make the retirement for military a minimum of 30 years or service or 59 years old whatever comes first.. if retire early cannot collect military pensions until you reach 59 years old..

Eliminate SSI... make it short term, and conditional on rehabilation..

Privatize the VA..

Completely privatize the PX and Exchange systems, make innaccessible to retirees until they hit age 59...

Allow TriCare to be completely privatized and managed by United Health Care...

Sell the federal parks, allow for mineral exploration..

Ban all lobbyists from being within 300 miles of congress...

Stop all visitors to our federal buildings, because of security concerns..

16. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

This makes sense. Too bad it'll never happen, almost everything there might actually help build the country back up. Then figure in the Gulf which Obama's supposedly use to push his climate and energy agenda/more money. Good list, these are among the things one would think we'd be doing. But:rolleyes:

17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

What we need to do is WAR our way out of this hole, like the great George W Bush would do. I'm sure there are a few more nations of Earth that have yet to be occupied by tens of thousands of more soldiers.

For our future invasions/occupations we need to fuel these efforts (tanks, jets, helecopters etc) , so we MUST increase offshore drilling, and also expand drilling in Alaska's national wildlife reserves. We could invade Canada, and start drilling thier oil...this would kill two birds with one stone. Occupy, and extract resources for mor occupation and extraction of resources....

We should deregulate all industries, as well as encourage outsourcing of labor, and importing investments in American based companies. If at all possible we should avoid any and all of them from paying taxes, moving all headquarters of all companies to the Caymen Islands.

Make sure we fund the pentagon with discressionary spending, and hand out no-bid contracts. This way we will keep the crucial military industrial complex in tact. Build things like bombs that cost billions, then blow them up, showing ALL nations that the united states leads the world in inefficiancy.

Next we need to create a Manhatten/Appolo project, bringing together BOTH ideas to do the impossible...

Blow up the Moon.

YouTube - mr show-blow up moon

Thats what we seem to do best, spend money on dumb things, and blow up stuff...

AMERICA!

PS: screw the oil leak in the gilf, oil is natural...it will clean up itself.

18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And those two deficits are a drop in the bucket compared to what Obama has in store for us. But you're too blinded by your own hatred and intolerance to see the light.

19. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

I'm much more of an isolationist, than a globalist, even though I'm genuinely a realist at heart. :D All 'ists aside, I think we worry too much about the rest of the world, when we should be focusing 80-90% of our efforts, on ourselves. I'd do food aide, and all kinds of self help assistance, like helping to build roads or bridges, while also teaching people how to farm, etc. The rest of the nonsense I'd leave for someone else to do. There's simply no need for us to be the world police.

20. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

In the scheme of things the defense budget is chump change. The majority of cost as associated with troop pay and benefits how many troops do you want to cut from the military?

Read the article and look at the promises associated with medicare and Social Security. By themselves these programs represent 100 TRILLION in unfunded liabilities.

BTW this doesn't even include Obamacare!

How do you think we should deal with our unsustainable Entitlement programs.

The "trust fund" is already in the red years ahead of expectations. This is due to the recession. The party is over.

The makes the expansion of entitlement programs (ie Bush's drug entitlement & especially Obamacare) insane.A recipe for disaster.

In short Patters? We need to move as quickly as possible to means testing payments to current retirees and those whop will retire in the future. We need to move to privatizing both the SS system and Medicare and get rid of Obamacare.

We need to change the Pension, Benefit and Retirement programs for Government employee at State Federal and Local levels. Move towards 401k type systems, and have employees contribute more to their medical insurance like their peers in the private Sector.

We also need to cut the number of Government workers, we have seen expansion of the number of governments workers that far outstrips the increase in the general population.

Promote Economic policies that will allow job growth in the private sector. I f government is spending half of GDP and borrowing trillions each years there is no capital left for the private sector to invest.