Welcome to PatsFans.com

14 killed as suspected U.S. missiles hit Pakistan

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

2. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

This may be my first +1 for Obooma. If he wants to do this all the time to placate the right wing wackos, he has my blessing.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +829 / 2 / -9

This all OK now, Messiah's doing it, reminds me of Clintons "Aspirin Factory" and "Hospital Bombing"

Go get em Barry, kill the bastards.

This was mentioned a little while ago on the Press Conference and that guy "Uh" Gibbs refused to talk about it "REFUSED" (the little dictatorship has started) Castro & Chavez don't answer questions they don't like either.

Heil Obama

GOD DAMN AMERICA

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  4. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I guess the death toll is up to 17 now http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/01/2

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (CNN) -- Seventeen people were killed Friday evening in two U.S. missile strikes in Pakistan's tribal region, said one government and two military officials.

They are the first such strikes since President Obama took office Tuesday.

Both hits were near the Afghan border, said local political official Nasim Dawar. The Pakistani military sources asked not to be named because they are not authorized to release such information.

The first strike, which killed 10 people, occurred about 5:15 p.m. (7:15 a.m. ET) in a village near Mir Ali in North Waziristan, the officials said. Seven people died in the second hit at 7:30 p.m. (9:30 a.m. ET) near Wana, the major town in South Waziristan, 17 miles (27 kilometers) from Afghanistan, they said.

There has been no immediate response from U.S. officials.

The Pakistan military's top spokesman called the attacks, which he said were by pilotless drones, "counterproductive," because they undercut his country's efforts to oust militants from the ungoverned tribal areas.

"It helps us in no way conducting our operations," Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas told CNN. "We are trying to create to wean away the tribe at large from the militant component of the tribe. But it diminishes the line which divides the militant component and the tribe at large."

Abbas said, "We face much more difficulty as a result of drone strikes, and we have conveyed our position on that" to the United States.

Former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf, interviewed on CNN's "The Situation Room," repeated that public opinion in his country is strongly against the strikes on Pakistan territory.

Musharraf was asked whether he is comfortable with the continuation of the attacks, even with a new U.S. president in place.

"As far as this issue of the new president, President Obama, having taken over and this continuing ... I've always been saying that policies don't change with personalities.

Democracy Now! | Headlines for January 23, 2009

"Obama Condemns Palestinian Rocket Fire, Silent on US-Backed Israeli Mass Killings in Gaza
    Meanwhile, Obama made his first substantive comments on the Middle East conflict since Israel’s attack on Gaza. Obama first mentioned his commitment to Israel’s security, without affirming his commitment to Palestinian security. He condemned Palestinian rocket attacks on southern Israeli towns, but didn’t criticize the US-backed Israeli bombings of densely populated Gaza. But in a departure from the Bush administration, Obama acknowledged Palestinian suffering and said Gaza’s borders should be opened to aid.

President Obama: “I was deeply concerned by the loss of Palestinian and Israeli life in recent days and by the substantial suffering and humanitarian needs in Gaza. Our hearts go out to Palestinian civilians who are in need of immediate food, clean water and basic medical care, and who’ve faced suffocating poverty for far too long. Now we must extend a hand of opportunity to those who seek peace. As part of a lasting ceasefire, Gaza’s border crossings should be open to allow the flow of aid and commerce, with an appropriate monitoring regime, with the international and Palestinian Authority participating. Relief efforts must be able to reach innocent Palestinians who depend on them.”

In further comments that could signal a departure from Bush, Obama mentioned the Arab League peace initiative, which would offer Israel normalized relations in return for a full withdrawal from the Occupied Territories and a just resolution for Palestinian refugees. The Bush administration had backed Israel’s rejection of the offer and its expansion of settlements in the Occupied West Bank.

President Obama: “I should add that the Arab peace initiative contains constructive elements that could help advance these efforts. Now is the time for Arab states to act on the initiative’s promise by supporting the Palestinian government under President Abbas and Prime Minister Fayyad, taking steps towards normalizing relations with Israel, and by standing up to extremism that threatens us all.”

While Palestinan President Mahmoud Abbas welcomed Obama’s comments, a Hamas spokesperson told Al Jazeera television Obama’s position does not represent change.

Pakistan's ex-president also told CNN he didn't think the 10b from the US was enough $ to compensate for all Pakistan's done for us in terms of fighting global terror. Here we go....

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  5. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +232 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

I guess this partly puts to rest the notion that BO wouldn't carry through on Afganistan.

6. winged1dur

winged1dur Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I hope that France will approve!

7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,380 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

I'm not complaining ... Obama said he would intensify activities in the region. But to all those water boarding is torture people out there. What is the difference between water boarding (fearing death) and living as a civilian in that region (fearing death from a drone missle) ... just wondering because I think the water board is torture people need to look at the larger picture here. ... in any case ... go Barack ... we need bigger drones that can carry even bigger missles.

8. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,646 / 9 / -19

#61 Jersey

I tell you what: If Obama ever nails Bin Laden, Bush ought never show his face in public again.

9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,380 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

If they nail OBL I don't think the republicans will see the White House Presidency for at least 20-40 years.

10. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

OBAMA LIED, PEOPLE DIED..............

Off with his head :rolleyes:

11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Time to grow up, children.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  12. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

LOLOLOLOL :singing:

Classic, coming from you. Perhaps it would have been more grown up to post this:

What was that about "glass houses"? At least my childishness was clearly in jest.

For the record, I kinda like this new "Hawkish Obama". Give em' hell O

13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That's between me and Elway. And besides, I never claimed to be nice.

Why would you say "Obama lied. People died"? What did he lie about? Or were you just kidding? My bad if I didn't get it.

Anyways, I also think Obama will take the fight to the right places and I'm really glad he's not going to wait for the Pakistani's to "help" us find Bin Ladin. It's amazing to me that we are still hunting Bin Ladin 7 1/2 years after 9/11. I'll give Bush his due on one thing: He's loyal to his Saudi Buddies as far as protecting Osama from harm all these years. But if I were Bin Ladin, I'd start looking over my shouder from now on, cuz' now there's someone actually gonna try to kill him.

14. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I was kidding..... I thought that was quite obvious.

15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,380 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

I think it's the athlete in him?

16. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +232 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

I don't think hes doing it to placate anyone. I think he really believes that Iraq was the wrong target. Afghanistan/ Northern Pakistan was and is, and he wants to kill OBL...... He honestly wants to get these guys. I never believed the BS about him being liberal and squeamish about using military force when needed.

17. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,380 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

I think to add to that but the future of Pakistan is at stake also. Al Qaeda / Taliban will exist for some time ... but keeping them in a weakened state will help Afghanistan and Pakistan stay as strong as is possible in this era. Recent reports still make their influence strong in Afghanistan as they are part of the economy and that helps them control the tribe leaders. Now if only Bush had finished what he started but just like his father before him ... it was not in his best interests to do so IMO.

18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +829 / 2 / -9

Bush Says:
    "Good work Barry kill them all, I knew you were my kind of guy, thats why I hugged you"