PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

13.9 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

ice

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
according to miguel's Page , before Evans, Morris, and Izzo. Do you think that is enough for two more major signings? Possably Stallworth and our own Asante, and then leave enough for Draft signing and injury reserve.

Any long-term deal for Samuel would lower his cap number not increase it, so yes.

according to miguel's Page , before Evans, Morris, and Izzo. Do you think that is enough for two more major signings? Possably Stallworth and our own Asante, and then leave enough for Draft signing and injury reserve.

The Patriot's long term cap situation remains very strong.

BB/SP are not realistically going to be constrained by cap space.

They are going to be constrained by the availability of players who, over the long haul, can improve the team by more than it costs to acquire them.

Any long-term deal for Samuel would lower his cap number not increase it, so yes.

he is correct if he signs a long term deal he'll get around 3-4 million pending the contract....instead of the 7 mill? for the franchise for cbs? idk...

Miguel has added everyone and he shows us $11.88 mil under.

He didn't add Stallworth who may or may not have signed or could be taking a pen out of his pocket and putting it back. He also didn't add a Randy Moss thread to his pages.

Miguel has added everyone and he shows us $11.88 mil under.

He didn't add Stallworth who may or may not have signed or could be taking a pen out of his pocket and putting it back. He also didn't add a Randy Moss thread to his pages.

He is also still listing Welker at the 2nd round tender level. I would expect this to increase by $1M+.

He is also still listing Welker at the 2nd round tender level. I would expect this to increase by $1M+.

As an offset, he also has Dillon on there are taking all of his cap hit this year. It can be split between this cap year and next cap year if they want more room this cap year.

I'd like to see us lock down Warren long term.

Does that factor in the $6.2m or so that we need to sign our draft picks?

Does that factor in the $6.2m or so that we need to sign our draft picks?

No. My numbers are of today.

BTW, there is no way that it wil take $6.2 million to sign the draft picksl

I'd like to see us lock down Warren long term.

The Pats aren't going to negotiate with Warren until the end of this year, when he has 1 year left on his contract.

Wilfork won't have his contract extension until the end of 2009.

That is their modus operendi.

No. My numbers are of today.

BTW, there is no way that it wil take $6.2 million to sign the draft picksl

How much do you think it would take to sign the draft picks? Is it a lot less than the 6.2 million?

How much do you think it would take to sign the draft picks? Is it a lot less than the 6.2 million?

Not a ton less but wasnt last years rookie cap needed to be 5 million?

Way less.

Maroney went 21st, his cap hit was $1.2M last year. Worst case, multiply that by two for two first rounders, that's $2.5M. Rookie inflation is easily evened out by 21st vs. 24th and 28th.

Dave Thomas, 3rd round is our next pick, had a cap hit of $435 - about $150K over the minimum. So every player 3rd round and on you're looking at $100K - $200 over the player he replaces on the roster.

Say 7 of those for another million, that's $3.5M, there's still a few million left and I believe the scenario for the two #1s was worse than it'll really be.

Last edited:
Dave Thomas, 3rd round is our next pick, had a cap hit of $435 - about $150K over the minimum. So every player 3rd round and on you're looking at $100K - $200 over the player he replaces on the roster.

Last year only the prorated portion of the signing bonus for those picked in the 3rd round or later hit the cap when they signed. Last year's draft pick class had a net cap cost of $1.5 million because of the rule of 51.

So really, we're looking at 12-12.5M or so, taking into account for rookie signings, but also taking into account for booting the people replaced by our picks. Sounds like even with the rainy day fund for in-season pickups, we can have a ways to go before being done.

Except for Thomas, I don't see anybody there whose cap hits are terrifically understated or back-end loaded.

This is a good thing.

Way less.

Maroney went 21st, his cap hit was $1.2M last year. Worst case, multiply that by two for two first rounders, that's $2.5M. Rookie inflation is easily evened out by 21st vs. 24th and 28th.

Say 7 of those for another million, that's $3.5M, there's still a few million left and I believe the scenario for the two #1s was worse than it'll really be.
The top 51 players count toward the cap at this time of year

Right now the 51st player is Childress at a $366K cap hit
the 50th is Andrews at $378K
the 49th is Smith at $384K

These players are equivalent to what a 4th round pick hits the cap for. As more vets are added (Stallworth, Seau, Brown, etc) the bottom #51 salary goes up.

There are 4 players already counted toward the cap that probably won't make the final 53 - Mruckowski - $856K, Baker $856K, Jonathan Smith $518K and Kranchick $441K. Those 4 total $2.6 mil in cap hits. If they were replaced by rookies at $285K, that saves @ $1.5 Mil on the cap. That is enough to pay a top rookie so it is a wash. The other first round pick would also for conversation purposes make $1.3 mil (cap hit $1.3 - $384 = $1 mil) and the third rounder come in at @ $150K additional cap hit.

So, assuming 7 rookies make the 53 (this is too high IMHO, more like 5) the cap hit to sign the rookies is in the $1.5 mil range. Take it to $2 mil to be conservative, which is a far cry from the $6 mil numbers I am seing floating around here for the "rookie pool". The cap hits are different than the "pool" numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing