Welcome to PatsFans.com

12 Year old Released from Guantanamo....

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Mar 14, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

If prison is a breeding ground for gang activity, is this kid gonna grow up and be a leader of some radical muslim group?? I cannot fathom any reason to put a 10 year old in Guantanamo, it is beyond any measure of civility and human decency for this country and a black eye that cannot go away.

http://sf.indymedia.org/news/2004/02/1678473.php

Khuja Angoor, Afghanistan -- A single day forever changed the life of 12-year-old Asadullah Rahman.

Struggling to remember the exact date he was captured by American soldiers, or when he was flown to Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, where the United States holds "enemy combatants" without charges, he presses his fingers to his temples to conjure memories that have grown fuzzy after months in detention.

He was just 10 years old when American soldiers stormed the compound of the local Afghan commander who was holding him captive, he says. They grabbed his gun. There were handcuffs and blindfolds. Since then, he has seen the inside of three separate interrogation rooms.

On Jan. 29, after being released with two other young detainees, he returned to this village in eastern Afghanistan, a three-hour drive along dirt roads from Kabul. He was free but burdened with the uncomfortable distinction of being the youngest person ever jailed in America's war on terror.

"They should have arrested al Qaeda, not me," he said in the first interview since his release. "I was just innocent."

U.S. military officials say that based on medical tests, they believe Asadullah is older than he claims, perhaps 13 to 15. The two other youngsters released with him, who are both 15, say he was about 13 when he was freed
  2. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

There's a lot missing from this story, certainly too much to pass judgement. The line "They grabbed his gun" makes me think he's not a completely innocent kid.
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

If I lived in the same Afghanistan ruled by medieval warlords and clans, I'd make damn sure all my kids carried a piece when they turned 10 - maybe sooner. The fact the kid had a gun has nothing to do with whether or not he's innocent. I bet you'd have a hard time finding any innocent kids in that hell-hole.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +488 / 2 / -9

There are times when I actually like you Pujo, your not the run of the mill liberal "coo-coo".

All Wars have used children in one form or another, the way this story is written is to support the Bush Haters agenda, "IF" there is more to the story we will have to wait for Drudge or Fox to dig into it, CNN, NYTimes will never let you know about it, (maybe the blogger that brought Dan Rather down can get on it).
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

In the US there are standards promulgated by the Department of Justice that dictate that there be sight and sound separation from Juveniles and Adults in prison systems. The exception being those Juveniles who are waived to the adult side, in this case this kid had no hearing, no representation but was just imprisoned without any semblance of due cause. How come we safeguard everyone's rights in this country, but do not do the basics for this Muslim kid??
  6. Gumby

Gumby Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

Gee, all this hand-wringing over not adhering to
    1. standards of conduct of a U.S. citizen imprisoned on American soil
    2. standards of conduct for an enemy prisoner of war

Neither of which are applicable; he is a captured enemy combatant; and an illegal one at that.

Which one of you has complained about the violations of the Law of War & the UN Convention on rights of the child on the part of the Taliban / Al Qaida?

CERTAINLY THEIR ACTS IN ARMING AND USING THE KID IN THE FIRST PLACE ARE THE PROXIMATE CAUSE OF ANY FAULTS ON OUR PART IN HAVING TO DETAIN HIM!!!!!!!!!

As someone else pointed out the WARLORD was supposedly holding this kid 'captive' while he gave him a loaded AK. Ahhh yes; I usually give my prisoners loaded weapons. He was captured inside an Warlord's fort which was firing at US forces with a weapon in his hand. But he is just innocent; yeah right.

Looks like; smells like; probably is. But if you want to be like Cheech and Chong and taste the brown stuff on the ground to be sure...... you be my guest.
  7. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

He was 10 when he was captured, how much influence over his situation do you think he had? So lets hold him for a couple of years without counsel in the same room with men of hatred toward the U.S. After "interviewing" him a few times and a few years with these hardened extremists we will set him free because I'm sure we have converted him to democracy.
  8. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The distinction between "prisoner of war" and "enemy combatant" is ficticious, though. I still don't think there's nearly enough information to be outraged at anything here, but the enemy combatant designation (and what do you mean "an illegal one" - what's a legal enemy combatant?) was only invented to escape having to give people POW status.
  9. Gumby

Gumby Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

What LAW SCHOOL did you graduate from buddy????

A prisoner of war is someone entitled to Geneva Convention protections due to his own and his own countries adherence to Geneva conventions on the conduct of the law of war.

An enemy combatant is NOT ENTITLED to those protections due to his failure to adhere to those rules.

Amnesty I and all the anti-war in all cases types want to deny the difference; but it is written in black & white in International Law.
  10. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Then we're not fighting a war. Our government can't have all the benefits of war (unlimited spending, suspension of civil liberties) without the responsibilities (extending POW protections to those we're supposedly in a war with).