PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

12 men on the field penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Mike Reiss New England Patriots mailbag: What happens when Tom Brady does not look like Tom Brady? - ESPN Boston
interesting observation .i forgot abotu this
Q: Mike, can you find out why Belichick was yelling at the sideline official after the penalty for 12 men on the field (on defense)? It's unusual to see him yelling at the officials, I'd like to know if it was an incorrect call, or was he upset with something else? -- Chris (Boston)

A: Chris, Belichick was furious after a 12-men-on-the-field penalty, and it's my belief that he had good reason to be hot. Per NFL rules, if the offense substitutes personnel, then the officials must give the defense a chance to match up (except for the final two minutes of each half). The Broncos had subbed personnel with 12:20 to play in the third quarter, and the Patriots were matching. But it looked to me like the Broncos quick-snapped and the Patriots couldn't get their players off the field in time. As I understand the rule, that should not have been a penalty on the Patriots. That came on the drive that the Broncos ultimately kicked a field goal, making it 17-10. Because of the chess match in this game, and the constant subbing by both teams, it was a hard game to officiate. I thought the officials missed that call.

Re: 12 men on the field penalty.

I remember one 12 man penalty against the Pats. I thought it was pretty unusual for the Pats to be caught out like that on a 12 man, but otherwise didn't think too much of it at the time and don't recall the particulars now. Then, I'm sure I read somewhere later they actually had 2 against them during the game, although I don't recall that, and that struck me as really odd for the Pats. Perhaps this explains it. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey