Welcome to PatsFans.com

100 mpg car

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by otis p. driftwood, Jun 10, 2008.

1. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jun/09/lab-drives-car-100-miles-gallon/

2. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

3. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Modified to get 100mpg in the USA.

And Toyota is in talks to shift production to a plant in California.

4. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Japanese product built in Cali. :cool:

5. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Boy, you sure got me. Yup, that car that was modified by the college kids is 100% Japanese. Yup. Sure.

6. Bigdogx

Bigdogx On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Absolutely laughable if people think this car is any kind of answer, 40,000 dollar battery cells makes this car not even close to practical and not to mention it is based on one ugly platform. Why not just buy a regular prius and save the extra 40+ grand to use on fuel cost, lets see even at today's prices 40 grand would buy you gas for about the next 15-20 years.

We should be concentrating on real alternative fuel choices like hydrogen or methane gas. Electrical always has been and always will be to expensive and not reliable and advanced enough to be a real contender to make a shift from fossil fuel.

7. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm not sure that's the point. The car isn't an end product, it's the research involved.

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

My f-cking vision:

Not to far into the future you will be able to close your eyes in Boston then ten seconds later when you open your eyes you will be in Aspen Colorado.

The things that ride around on UFO's have already learned how to do it.

Museum 3050:
    "Mommy"
    "yes dear"
    "whats that thing"
    "they used to call them cars dear, people used to get drunk and run them into trees and kill themselves in them"
    "oh"

9. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

One of the shows I watched recently on developing alt. energy mentioned that one of the biggest obstacles to developing a more efficient transportation system was, oddly enough, the wheel.

People need to re-think basic travel. We could develop a system where the cars are essentially like those magnetic bullet trains, putting the strips down the middle where roads are now, and then you'd be able to sort of hover along, and be guided with minimal input. Be kind of neat...climb aboard in Boston, sit there in your own quite space doing whatever, 15 minutes later you're in NYC...

10. Wotan_the_Wanderer

Wotan_the_Wanderer Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Tesla Motors is already producing an electric roadster that goes 0-60 in 3.7 seconds and has a 200+ mile range between charges. I'm sure the price tag is hefty, but the technical know-how has emerged and hopefully will be reflected in price tags of the mass produced cars of the future.

As far as the bullet train is concerned, it's something we in the US is sorely lacking. Anyone who's been on one of these or who's even been on the Eurorail I think will attest that it's the best, most comfortable way to travel. And the thing that makes some of the bullet trains so impressive is that they rely of massive magnetic force for propulsion and stabilization. It's big science and I'm not sure why we got left behind given that big science is what Americans do best.

11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

The Electricity for these cars comes mostly from coal burning plants...

and with the 2nd law of thermodynamics...

more nukes for our electric cars anyone.

BTW Hydrogen is a storage mechanism for energy not a fuel source. The energy consumed producing the H is > the energy stored by H... pesky 2nd law again. Oil is essentially stored sunlight we are using.

12. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

We've already had the discussions about the bullet train in the US. It's much more practical in Europe than it is here. It's too fast for a commuter train and not quick enough to replace flying (unless it could be really really cheap).

13. Wotan_the_Wanderer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

^When's the last time you flew into NYC or even Newark for that matter. If I need to go into Manhattan, it's just as fast driving in from Boston than it is flying. But it's true that flying to LA from the EC would be faster than taking a bullet train though I don't think the difference is a great as you're suggesting.

14. Wotan_the_Wanderer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Solar, geothermal, hydro, bio mass and wind all offer electricity and this these are sectors that are on the upswing so the effectiveness and the economy with which we derive electricity from these sources will improve. But you're right. As of now, coal burning does represent the bulk of US electricity supply.

Said, this I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Are you suggesting we should not change our habits and stick petrol combustible engines?

You're a bit of a sensationalist I take it.

15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

16. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

We need to have energy to sustain us until there are viable alternatives. I have posted quite a bit about alternatives. The sources you cited can currently contribute
    only a small amount of our total energy requirements.

So we need both a short term (drilling our won oil, we have more than the ME why are we importing?) and longer term (the stuff you referenced along with nuke).