PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

10 things I think I think (and to save you from Peter King)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironwasp

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
1 – Maintaining excellence in the NFL is a brutally difficult business. Ask Sean Payton and Drew Brees. A year ago their Saints team rode the crest of an emotional wave all the way to the NFC Championship, and looked as if it was building something good in the Big Easy. But three weeks into the season the Saints are winless and will be grateful for a bye week that at the very least will help them avoid another notch in the loss column. The defence is weak, while the offensive line is going to get Drew Brees killed if it doesn’t get its act together soon. Now Deuce is gone too. The Saints’ plight throws more glory on teams like the Pats and the Colts who sustain excellence year in and year out.

2 – Kev Cadle, the larger than life (and larger than a house) character who presents NFL in the UK has a favourite phrase: Coaching’s important. “You have to have talent, but coaching’s important” he said during the Chargers loss to the Pats in week two. With every week that passes Chargers fans must wonder why this simple rule seemed lost on GM AJ Smith who carelessly managed to lose his three senior coaches in the off-season. There’s no lack of talent on the Chargers, but at the moment it is lacking direction, and unless Norv Turner and his greenhorn staff find it soon, a season of profound disappointment looms large.

3 – Here’s another reason why 16-0 is difficult. For about a quarter and a half on Sunday, the Patriots took their eye off the ball against the patently mismatched Bills, as a result of which they found themselves facing their first scoreboard deficit of the young season. Against a better team the deficit could have been bigger and the task of hauling themselves back into the game exponentially more difficult. To win 16 games you need to be right at the top of your game for a minimum of 48 quarters, and probably as many as 56. That’s demanding in this league. It’s ridiculous in fact. Seriously, is there anything else?

4 – Greatness is not achieved over a handful of seasons, it is painstakingly assembled over a dozen years, and requires a constant evolution by the individual concerned. So hats off to Brett Favre who is showing this season that there’s more than one way to skin a cat, leaving the gun-slinging of his glorious early years behind in favour a conservatism better suited to his team and his declining physical abilities. In a weak conference, the Pack are contenders.

5 – The NFL is right to give quarterbacks as much protection as it can without undermining the reality that football is a brutal game played by big, tough men. As JP Losman’s injury showed, the passer is in a uniquely vulnerable position when he has his front leg planted and acting as pivot for his throwing action. Vince Wilfork hit him neither hard nor maliciously but the potential consequences could have been even more serious and Losman can probably count himself lucky that he’s got away with a sprain rather than a Carson Palmer type injury.

6 – While on the subject of player safety, it might also be worth having a look at the way players throw themselves into tackles that have effectively already finished when the ball carrier is either on the ground or as near as d%#*!@t. There are multiple instances of this on view in every game, every week, where the last defender’s action has no material impact on the play but could end up having serious consequences for others involved, usually guys on his own team. I wince every time I see this happen, and while I appreciate a rule change here would be difficult, it is worth examining. Football is a dangerous enough sport without recklessness of this kind.

7 – Roger Goodell is in serious danger of becoming a camp parody of himself. The latest directive to teams regarding cheerleaders distracting visiting teams during the warm-up is a serious danger sign. It tells me that this is a man who wants to micro-manage every last aspect of the game, and believes he can control everything and everybody. Get over yourself, Roger. This practice is either utterly harmless or total nonsense, I can’t decide which, and it doesn't matter. There must be more important things to focus on.

8 – I’ve seen some strange things on a sports field in my team – rugby teams wearing pink, some wearing bow ties, soccer teams having to change out of grey uniforms at half time because the players couldn’t see one another property – but the Eagles psychedelic haze of a throwback uniform takes the prize for the worst kit ever seen on a sports field. I love teams wearing the throwback gear from time to time – the 49ers looked great on opening day – but please, that proud franchise must have something better to offer from its history than that.

9 – Is Brady-to-Moss not one of the greatest things you’ve ever seen on a football field?

10 – A word of praise for a Manning. I know, I know, but bear with me. Eli of that line has had to put up with a lot of crap since he joined the Giants, and a lot of that falls squarely on his own shoulders. A lot of it – having to put up with the NY media, fans, Tiki etc is not. And although he still looks as if he’d prefer to be performing a vasectomy on himself with a rusty spoon rather than playing football, he has strung three decent performances together on the bounce this season on a team that isn’t playing well. Maybe he will make it there.

7 – Roger Goodell is in serious danger of becoming a camp parody of himself. The latest directive to teams regarding cheerleaders distracting visiting teams during the warm-up is a serious danger sign. It tells me that this is a man who wants to micro-manage every last aspect of the game, and believes he can control everything and everybody. Get over yourself, Roger. This practice is either utterly harmless or total nonsense, I can’t decide which, and it doesn't matter. There must be more important things to focus on.

Peter King is probably still pissed at the Commisioner's Office because Mike Lynch was the first to properly report BB's punishment while King was still saying a suspension is likely.

Peter King hates it when someone beats him to a story, especially a regional sports broadcaster.

7 – Roger Goodell is in serious danger of becoming a camp parody of himself. The latest directive to teams regarding cheerleaders distracting visiting teams during the warm-up is a serious danger sign. It tells me that this is a man who wants to micro-manage every last aspect of the game, and believes he can control everything and everybody. Get over yourself, Roger. ....

O ho !
Stirrings of mutiny in the lynch mob, eh?

You're right,Ironwasp,I do like your "ten things" list better than PK's....its a good read.

1 – Maintaining excellence in the NFL is a brutally difficult business. Ask Sean Payton and Drew Brees. A year ago their Saints team rode the crest of an emotional wave all the way to the NFC Championship, and looked as if it was building something good in the Big Easy. But three weeks into the season the Saints are winless and will be grateful for a bye week that at the very least will help them avoid another notch in the loss column.

Flashback to the preseason...
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7071478

"Seven years from now, executives around the league will probably clamor to hire Sean Payton or Eric Mangini types.

Dungy's corporate management techniques made "maverick" coaches like Jerry Glanville and Buddy Ryan look like snake-oil salesmen, hastening their extinction. Mangini and Payton, with their guest speakers and offbeat motivational tactics, are moving football coaching even further into Fortune 500 territory....

We have a feeling that one or both of these guys will reach the top five (coaches list) in a year or two."

A few scant weeks of the season, the boardroom boys are a combined 1-5 and Mike Tomlin is being lionized as the Next Big Thing in coaching with his revolutionary focus hard work, discipline and attention to detail. :rolleyes:

It sounds a little bit like a couple of the posters here think that this IS Peter King's work. My understanding is that it's ironwasp's version of King's "Things I think I Think" column, but that it's ironwasp's own theories. Helluvajob on that, by the way. Interesting takes.

It sounds a little bit like a couple of the posters here think that this IS Peter King's work. My understanding is that it's ironwasp's version of King's "Things I think I Think" column, but that it's ironwasp's own theories. Helluvajob on that, by the way. Interesting takes.

Yes, sorry. I had the idea of doing this sort of thing last week when turning to the usual suspects in the media was a chore because of the constant harping on videogate. I enjoyed doing it last so week so decided to do it again, and so these are my own thoughts rather than Peter King's. I guess I didn't make it too clear.

Yes, sorry. I had the idea of doing this sort of thing last week when turning to the usual suspects in the media was a chore because of the constant harping on videogate. I enjoyed doing it last so week so decided to do it again, and so these are my own thoughts rather than Peter King's. I guess I didn't make it too clear.

They're much better than Peter King's.

Stuff like this makes the site worth reading instead of "Look At Me...I got banned from XYZ" tripe or endless personal viewpoint topic starters on the video issue ad nauseum.

1. I had similar thoughts of the difficulty of sustained excellence while watching the Saints debacle. It also shows how easily a fine tuned balanced team can self-destruct when a few things (e.g. OL play) go awry. That being said, the Tits look good this year.

2. Charger fans were oblivious and whistling in the dark off season when thoughtful observers pointed out the risks and problems of wholesale coaching changes.

7. The NFL cheerleader memo, not the video incident, pushed me over the edge regarding Goodell. Reminds me too much of corporate puke CEOs I reported to who were really disconnected from daily reality and were prone to ludicrous disfunctional policy memos.

11. I admit to being surprized at the total meltdown of LT as a 'leader'. The guy is the antithethis of a good leader with his public dejected and morose behaviour. That must really rally his team...NOT.

Last edited:
The sustained excellence is the overlooked greatness of this team (and the Colts too, I have to admit). This will be 7 years in which we've made the playoffs in 6 and still been 9-7 in the one non playoff year. Even with 2002 this will be 5 straight playoff teams and no end in sight.

No, you DID make it clear. Sometimes people are just slow on the uptake, especially in the morning. Definitely keep up the feature. Good stuff.

Regarding the Eagles throwback uniforms on Sunday...

While there is no doubt that hardly anyone will have looked at them and thought 'Ooh, NICE, I hope I can buy one of those!', the reasons for wearing them were sound enough.

The Eagles were commemorating their 75 years. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to decide 'OK, we'll celebrate our beginnings 75 years ago by wearing a uniform from.. oooh.. 1977'.

Boring trivia: Yellow and blue used to be the official colours of the city, because Swedes settled there.

Good post. I'll add 10 of my own...

1. The Seau/Thomas ILB combo is excellent at stuffing the run. The Pats used them a lot vs. San Diego and LDT was ineffective. The Pats used them again vs. Buffalo when it was obvious they hoped to ride Lynch on offense and spare Edwards the heavy lifting. That's when the game turned into a runaway.

2. The OL reminds me a lot of the 1980s 49ers'. Very effective, but never heralded. Neither OL had/has a superstar name, but both were/are critical to their offense's success.

3. I'll give credit where credit is due: Asante Samuel has not shown much rust at all. In the Jets game, he gave up a TD over the middle to Coles, but he had a great chance to make a play and just missed the ball; Those things happen. Versus San Diego, I don't think the Chargers threw to his side at all. Against Buffalo, Edwards rarely dared to throw outside, instead looking to find seams in the zone across the middle a la Pennington. When he did go outside, Asante had a pick.

4. Hobbs continues to improve and is on the cusp of becoming one of the upper-tier CBs in the league. Teams continue to test him deep, yet he's up for the challenge (I don't think the Pats have given up a bomb to a WR in 3 games). Remember that this is a guy who was a rookie in 2005 and stepped in late in the season to replace an awful Duane Starks and suddenly the D started playing a lot better. It's nice when you don't have to leave safeties always deep to cover for a lousy CB.

5. More on Hobbs and Asante...the CB circle of life continues: Mike Haynes never gets thrown at, so Raymond Clayborn is forced to become a good CB with the bullseye on his back. Then once Clayborn is a stud, it's Ronnie Lippett's turn to take his game up a notch. Then it's Maurice Hurst's turn (he was good for a while, before falling apart). When the Pats had Ty Law and Tyrone Poole in 2003, nickelback Asante became a target (SB38, anyone?) and was forced to step up his game. Now with Asante a solid corner, it's Hobbs' turn to take the bullseye off his back and he's doing it like past Pats have done.

6. One thing that Brady-to-Moss brings that the Pats have never had (and most teams don't have at all) is a "cheap 7" from anywhere on the field. Don't underestimate this because it has already accounted for 14 points in three games, or over 12% of their scoring. Who in Pats history could have beat triple coverage in a jumbo package, lone wideout formation? Who hauls in that fingertip TD over the outstretched leaping CB in that Buffalo game other than Moss? T.O., Steve Smith and Chad Johnson might be the only guys in the game who can run under those types of passes. The Pats might find themselves in a dogfight a few times this year, then break open the game because Brady decides to throw one as far as he can and Moss can go get it. He can't be overthrown.

7. If the Pats have shown any weakness in the three games so far, it's pass coverage over the middle. The Jets and San Diego used short passes across the middle to get their 14 points and Buffalo used it to help get their 7. Never fear, though, for Rodney will return soon. That must be a scary thought for the rest of the league.

8. The 2nd-half running game in all three games has been outstanding, especially in the San Diego game, when they answered each Charger TD with their own aided heavily by some solid running. It's impressive to run the ball successfully when the other team knows you're running the ball. Stealing signals doesn't help with that, guys.

9. I had the good fortune to attend the Buffalo game and one thing that killed me was how much bigger Kyle Brady is than Dave Thomas. Thomas looked like a wideout compared to him. When Wes Welker stood next to Kyle, Welker looked like a midget.

10. Clearly the Pats and Colts are the top two teams. The media is raving about the "small, quick D" of the Colts, but this Pats team has a "big, quick D" and give me big and quick over small and quick 6 days a week and twice on Sundays (especially Sundays). The Colts are like the early 1990s 49ers and the Pats are like their Cowboys rivals: bigger and just as fast. Come January, the Colts D will have taken a lot of abuse over the course of four months. Will their smaller stature be able to hold up against this Pats team? We'll find out.

Regards,
Chris

3 – Here’s another reason why 16-0 is difficult. For about a quarter and a half on Sunday, the Patriots took their eye off the ball against the patently mismatched Bills, as a result of which they found themselves facing their first scoreboard deficit of the young season. Against a better team the deficit could have been bigger and the task of hauling themselves back into the game exponentially more difficult.
What you described is a trap game, or at least a trap quarter-and-a-half. The point being, it's not uncommon for a good team not to have their head in a game against a supposedly weak team, and that the Pats, more than most other teams, do get themselves up for matches against quality opponents. So I take their performance at the start of the Bills game with a grain of salt. I think the real threats to a 16-0 season have to do with injuries (the Steelers game in '04) or how they might match up to a particular opponent (Carolina in '05, numerous Bronco games). I agree, 16-0 would be miraculous, but I believe this Pats team has the best shot of any team in years to acocmplish it this year.

Great posts guys. Thanks for the good insightful read.

3. I'll give credit where credit is due: Asante Samuel has not shown much rust at all.

4. Hobbs continues to improve and is on the cusp of becoming one of the upper-tier CBs in the league.

5. More on Hobbs and Asante...the CB circle of life continues: Now with Asante a solid corner, it's Hobbs' turn to take the bullseye off his back and he's doing it like past Pats have done.

Assuming Marvin Lewis and his OLine are ready for the Pats rush, TJ and CJ will give Samuel and Hobbs a bigger, faster test on the outside than they've seen this year. The Jets have good wideouts, but Pennington throws shorter and they have to get their YAC. Palmer can go deep and both these guys are lickety split.

OTOH,
if the Bengals can't run, BB may simply take away the deep ball through scheme and we will have to wait longer to see what Hobbs and Samuel can do.

6. One thing that Brady-to-Moss brings that the Pats have never had (and most teams don't have at all) is a "cheap 7" from anywhere on the field.

When I see the Pats running repeatedly, with Maroney or Morris getting 6 yards a crack, I can just smell that deep play warming up.

7. If the Pats have shown any weakness in the three games so far, it's pass coverage over the middle.

I would agree, see my comments on point 10.

10. The media is raving about the "small, quick D" of the Colts, but this Pats team has a "big, quick D".

I disagree, they are big and some of the LBs (Colvin, AD) are fast. But not quick. Look around the league at guys like Vilma, who have exceptional agility, and the Colts LBs. This is why pass coverage over the middle in the Pats base D is their weakest area. It is, however, a worthwhile trade-off, because, as you and others have pointed out:

Come January, the Colts D will have taken a lot of abuse over the course of four months. Will their smaller stature be able to hold up against this Pats team? We'll find out.

OTOH, the Pats secondary, excepting Harrison, is small and quick. Gay put on fifteen pounds in the offseason to bring himself up to (yikes!) 190. The Pats have the same durability problem as the Colts, but it's limited to the secondary.

Regards,
Chris
Thanks for the good post and a chance to comment.

9 – Is Brady-to-Moss not one of the greatest things you’ve ever seen on a football field?

Yes. I could watch that last TD pass from TB to Moss, down the sideline, 100 times....

1. The Seau/Thomas ILB combo is excellent at stuffing the run. The Pats used them a lot vs. San Diego and LDT was ineffective. The Pats used them again vs. Buffalo when it was obvious they hoped to ride Lynch on offense and spare Edwards the heavy lifting. That's when the game turned into a runaway.

PWP: Absolutely. Even last year with just Seau/Bruschi when Seau went down (I was at that game) I could see our run D and core strength up the middle dwindle. This year it's super-strong so far.

2. The OL reminds me a lot of the 1980s 49ers'. Very effective, but never heralded. Neither OL had/has a superstar name, but both were/are critical to their offense's success.

PWP: Less time to throw and Brady may still win these games but with picks and a much lower completion %.

7. If the Pats have shown any weakness in the three games so far, it's pass coverage over the middle. The Jets and San Diego used short passes across the middle to get their 14 points and Buffalo used it to help get their 7. Never fear, though, for Rodney will return soon. That must be a scary thought for the rest of the league.

PWP: Back to the core strength on D issue. When Harrison joined Seau on IR last year, our SB probability diminished greatly. Pray for health.

8. The 2nd-half running game in all three games has been outstanding, especially in the San Diego game, when they answered each Charger TD with their own aided heavily by some solid running. It's impressive to run the ball successfully when the other team knows you're running the ball. Stealing signals doesn't help with that, guys.

PWP: See point #2. The OL is wearing these guys down. First by physically blocking well and secondly by pass protecting well. The enemy DLs are exhausted after futile pass rushing for 3 QTRS.

9. I had the good fortune to attend the Buffalo game and one thing that killed me was how much bigger Kyle Brady is than Dave Thomas. Thomas looked like a wideout compared to him. When Wes Welker stood next to Kyle, Welker looked like a midget.

PWP: Yah, normal sized Welker and I are Girly Mon.

10. Clearly the Pats and Colts are the top two teams. The media is raving about the "small, quick D" of the Colts, but this Pats team has a "big, quick D" and give me big and quick over small and quick 6 days a week and twice on Sundays (especially Sundays). The Colts are like the early 1990s 49ers and the Pats are like their Cowboys rivals: bigger and just as fast. Come January, the Colts D will have taken a lot of abuse over the course of four months. Will their smaller stature be able to hold up against this Pats team? We'll find out.

Regards,
Chris

Miguel always takes flak for being a Colts lover but like the Pats I agree their org has found a formula and exceptional talent (Manning & his wideouts) for continued success.

3. I'll give credit where credit is due: Asante Samuel has not shown much rust at all. In the Jets game, he gave up a TD over the middle to Coles, but he had a great chance to make a play and just missed the ball; Those things happen. Versus San Diego, I don't think the Chargers threw to his side at all. Against Buffalo, Edwards rarely dared to throw outside, instead looking to find seams in the zone across the middle a la Pennington. When he did go outside, Asante had a pick.

4. Hobbs continues to improve and is on the cusp of becoming one of the upper-tier CBs in the league. Teams continue to test him deep, yet he's up for the challenge (I don't think the Pats have given up a bomb to a WR in 3 games). Remember that this is a guy who was a rookie in 2005 and stepped in late in the season to replace an awful Duane Starks and suddenly the D started playing a lot better. It's nice when you don't have to leave safeties always deep to cover for a lousy CB.

5. More on Hobbs and Asante...the CB circle of life continues: Mike Haynes never gets thrown at, so Raymond Clayborn is forced to become a good CB with the bullseye on his back. Then once Clayborn is a stud, it's Ronnie Lippett's turn to take his game up a notch. Then it's Maurice Hurst's turn (he was good for a while, before falling apart). When the Pats had Ty Law and Tyrone Poole in 2003, nickelback Asante became a target (SB38, anyone?) and was forced to step up his game. Now with Asante a solid corner, it's Hobbs' turn to take the bullseye off his back and he's doing it like past Pats have done.

6. One thing that Brady-to-Moss brings that the Pats have never had (and most teams don't have at all) is a "cheap 7" from anywhere on the field. Don't underestimate this because it has already accounted for 14 points in three games, or over 12% of their scoring. Who in Pats history could have beat triple coverage in a jumbo package, lone wideout formation? Who hauls in that fingertip TD over the outstretched leaping CB in that Buffalo game other than Moss? T.O., Steve Smith and Chad Johnson might be the only guys in the game who can run under those types of passes. The Pats might find themselves in a dogfight a few times this year, then break open the game because Brady decides to throw one as far as he can and Moss can go get it. He can't be overthrown.

Regards,
Chris

On point 7/the softness in the middle, agreed that that would be the only real specific point of weakness so far. I do think part of that might be an intentional, let them run off the clock strategy, considering the dominance so far, but you still don't want to give that up. Agreed too that Harrison coming back is the best antidote for that. (Side note--has there been any speculation that maybe Rodney will have lost a step sans HGH?)

On 10, a further point on that is the importance of the home field--the Pats win the last SB if they had home field advantage. So while the talk of 16-0 is a lot of fun, more important is simply winning the games against the Colts (and possibly the Steelers), getting to 15-1 or 14-2, and securing home field throughout the playoffs. You give me that and a healthy team..........well, you can figure out the rest.

Some very intelligent posting on this thread. I can't see how anybody thought it came from Peter King....there was nothing in it about Starbucks, the Red Sox, or the Upper Montville High field hockey team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back