PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

10 Reasons why I think this rematch will be different and the Pats will win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason 11: If we don't win, I will explode. I could handle a loss to the Niners. No way I could handle another one to #*&!ing Eli.

1) No Michael Strahan - Mike was the leader of that defense and really gave it all and those around him played better just with him being in there.

2) No Koppen - Dan was a decent center but in that SB Tuck repeatedly came rushing between the tackles and got to Brady....I think Connolly and even Wendell are better at pass blocking than Dan was.

3) Gronkowski,Hernandez,Branch and Welker are arguably a better overall receiving corps than Moss,Welker,Gaffney and Stallworth and the Giants cant simply double anyone because that leaves at least one man open every passing play.

4) No dreck in the backfield like Phony Maroney - Teams respect a hard runner like BJGE more than the dancing fool we had in 2007..... BJGE made a statement yesterday to respect the run because he will burn you if you don't.

5) Red Zone Defense is much better than it was in 2007 - I think the way this defense is made,Eli doesn't get that easy toss to Plaxico to end the game

6) Our linebackers are younger,faster and likely not to wear down late in the SB like it looked in 2007

7) Tom Brady wants revenge over the Giants ruining what might have been the greatest season ever.

8) You don't beat a Belichick/Brady team 3 times in a row......I do not believe that a single team has ever had a 3 game win streak against the Pats since Belichick arrived and the Giants won the last 2 meetings.

9) No 9-7 team ever won the Super Bowl

10) Brady is well known to play extremely well in roofed stadiums...I don't believe the Cardinals stadium in 2007 had a roof.

any more reasons?...please feel free to add any or disagree with anything I posted

I like our chances in this game......A Lot...and this comes from a very Pessimistic sports fan. :cool:

you mean like the easy toss eli had to beat us this year ? ilove the pats but someone in the next two weeks needs to really explain how the giants defense can be slowed down? and someone needs to explain how the pats opened up as a 3.5 pt favorite? just don't see it yet.....:confused:

Admittedly, I do like the Giants reasons better than ours:

1. This Giants team is better than their '07 team; this Patriots team is worse than our '07 team
2. They beat us at on our own field without Nicks or Jacobs

Those are both stronger points than any of ours. But, at the same time, I think both fanbases should just expect this to come down to the final wire. We've played them three times since '07, and none of those games were decided by more than 4 points. The last two games have involved a combined seven "game winning" drives in the fourth quarter, had the defenses held.

The thing I like for the Pats: most of their players have not won a Super Bowl. I think they will be very hungry, and they know there is no hand of fate, despite that last kick. The Giants, I think, feel invincible right now.

Don't know if you follow hockey, but that's what the sentiment was about the 2009 Stanley Cup Final. The Wings had a better team than in 2008 and the Penguins were worse than they were a year before. Guess who won :)

If the Giants play with their pass rushing lineman more then we need to run the ball straight at them. Seems like we lose patience with the running game even when it is going well. If we establish it early the play action will open up and they will have no answers for it. Stopping them will not happen but if we can get a couple turnovers and another stop or two I can see the pats winning somewher in the 34-24 ramge.

If the Giants play with their pass rushing lineman more then we need to run the ball straight at them. Seems like we lose patience with the running game even when it is going well. If we establish it early the play action will open up and they will have no answers for it. Stopping them will not happen but if we can get a couple turnovers and another stop or two I can see the pats winning somewher in the 34-24 ramge.

I agree, we ran the ball well on Sunday and then just stopped?!?!? WTF!??!?! Trust the law firm, especially with a lead. I don't think the NYG secondary is as athletic as the Ravens secondary was. Their D Line is an A+ caliber line though. Four super tough performers.

you mean like the easy toss eli had to beat us this year ? ilove the pats but someone in the next two weeks needs to really explain how the giants defense can be slowed down? and someone needs to explain how the pats opened up as a 3.5 pt favorite? just don't see it yet.....:confused:

Im not explaining anything to you "Johnny Tough Nuts" ... ok .. figure it out yourself .. :cool:

Also brady had a high ankle sprain 07' super bowl.

18-0 was not an easy ride.

Look the Giants have been fortunate to be in the SB as well as us. They both got breaks. And I personally think New England matches up better with the Giants defense than the Ravens. The Giants have to win with a pressure defense.. the Ravens could play you multiple ways. So the Giants strength on defense is our strength on offense.. Are there strengths better than ours? Thats the question. I do not think the Giants will be able to run the ball against us with are big fat defensive line healthy and playing other worldly.. And I think the pats can spread out the Giants and have success running the ball.

I like our chances I know the mediots are going to jump all over the giants tip... and that's fine but this game will come down to a few key plays.. either the pats convert on there oportunities or they don't, but don;t think for a second the Giants are better. They are even... GB crapped all over themselves.. recievers dropping balls.. Rogers missing throws.. they had a bad game. I do not see the Pats having a bad game.

I think this game will be won on the final drive.

I agree, we ran the ball well on Sunday and then just stopped?!?!? WTF!??!?! Trust the law firm, especially with a lead. I don't think the NYG secondary is as athletic as the Ravens secondary was. Their D Line is an A+ caliber line though. Four super tough performers.

The patriots don't just run the ball for the hell of it.. They audible in and out of runs.. With Hiloti Ngata on the sidelines the Pats capitalize with a no huddle spread em out running attack.. They attack the opposing teams weakness. Thats why they stopped running the ball.

Last edited:
3) you know it's probably easier to defend this current crop of receivers than the 2007 group. You had a deep threat, a short threat in Welker, plus another deep threat in Stallworth plus a decent possession guy in Gaffney, plus Watson had a decent year that year as a TE. That team could use the whole field, whereas this current one doesn't have the players to do so.

Sorry but you are dead wrong on this. Gronk is worth more than the sum of three of those receivers. I don't know a head coach who wouldn't trade Moss, Stallworth, and Gaffney for Gronk in a heartbeat.

Brady will have a game like he did VS Broncos. He is so disgusted with himself knowing he was a slap & kick away from another dissapointing exit from POs. Brady will have that focused precise laser throws on target. Wilfolk showed that FIRE yesterday and D playing much better & shutting down Rice. Pats Put It All Together At'da Right Time.

I think we should consider ourselves underdogs given how well the Giants have played to get to the Super Bowl.

But I think we have some significant advantages over 2007: a) the offense is much more varied, and can be altered to fit the circumstances much more readily; b) the offensive line is playing better than '07, and our backups are a lot better than '07 -- we've already done well with them in several games; c) Brady doesn't appear to be injured, though I'm sure his back is plenty sore; d) nobody's going to accuse us of taping the Rams practices in a Boston newspaper the week before the Super Bowl.

We have disadvantages compared to '07 as well, almost too many to mention. Our big challenge, I think is containing (no way they can be stopped) Cruz and Nicks. Tough job. I'm sure the defensive coaches are going to be burning the midnight oil to come up with a suitable game plan.

I hope all the younger players handle the excitement well. At least it's not in New Orleans! It will probably come down to some freaky plays, or blunders, just as the NFC and AFC championship games did.

More heart attacks for us.

Nobody has mentioned that the Pats were winning
both those games late.Just have to go for the kill
this time.

Sorry but you are dead wrong on this. Gronk is worth more than the sum of three of those receivers. I don't know a head coach who wouldn't trade Moss, Stallworth, and Gaffney for Gronk in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure if you're serious.

this time.

I think this team will do exactly that, they won't let down imo.

this time.

As long as it's not a bomb to Slater smothered in double coverage.

I was gonna mention this but our defense has been better the last few weeks. We need to contact Shanahan and get his secret for beating the Giants twice this season lol

Last edited:
Gut feeling is that if we don't stay balanced it won't go well for us. Nothing would make me happier than establishing the run early and wearing that Defense down. Id like to see Gronk stay in and block plenty early on then start releasing. Our no huddle will be a huge asset as the giants pass rush does get winded often and their back end is suspect. We need to play a lot of zone against their receivers and prevent the big play. Most importantly,

PROTECT BRADY

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey