PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

10 positives and negatives from TC so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
shmessy said:
We're only 8 days into TC. There is only ONE (1) WR from last year's roster in camp right now (Brown). You're going to spend even one millisecond writing an opinion of Brady's performance right now???????

I thought I needed to when the poster who started this thread listed Brady as the NUMBER ONE NEGATIVE of TC so far. Call me crazy, but I felt I needed to express an opposite opinion.

AzPatsFan said:
I'm glad that others have picked up on Wesley Britt. I think he is a real coup. Gorin is the starter and will be the one of opening day, but by the end of the season? Britt has the talent to be a star. Just like O'Callaghan will be NEXT year, after a year of groomming just like Britt has had, and Gorin before him.

Britt has had a season to get healthy, and beef up in a pro weightlifting program and gone from 310ish to 325. His natural position is ROT, and after he checked out as a LT backup, he's getting his share of reps at ROT. Interesting that he was first choice with Nick unavaialble,behind Light. Now he is getting his reps at ROT, which he must get. Kaycur is probably going to be Matt's backup at LOT anyways, after his superb effort last season as a rook.

O'Callaghan has shed a lot of baby fat and gotten down from 360 to 330, where the Pats Coaches want him. Now for a PS season to learn and a year in the weight room to add strength, and he can become a superb ROT or Guard candidate.

No one has mentioned the little noticed Belichick pickup Barry Gardner. Everyone dismissed or over looked the signing but not me. I had hopes. He is running as the first backup at ILB already, and I'm already satisfied that there is a Belichick/Pioli coup in the making.

When guys like Phifer and Vrabel were brought in, what was the profile of them? Relatively high draft picks, implying they possessed good athleticism and or speed, with a reputation for smarts, and a willingness to play hard as revealed by ST experience. Both had the size that BB's specification for the position demand. These guys were not big time stars, and in Vrabel's case a spot starter at best, while Phife was a long time starter but not a true star. Does that sound a little like Gardner's background or not?

They blossomed when given the limited assignments that BB asks of his LBs. Study. Play disciplined ball! Wrap up and tackle. Do YOUR job and no more. Give up no big plays. Stuff the run. Play hard.

Reche Caldwell was in a similar position. Dissed at the signing as a never was, I saw a high pick who developing as expected in his breakout third season. Then injury/ rehabiliation ruined his next year and a half. I thought we'd get more from Reche than Denver would in 2006, from Javon Walker, only less than a a year back from and ACL. Essentially Reche situation at the beginning of 2005, but Javon had a good year of production to prove bona fides before getting hurt. Another coup in the making in Reche through TC so far. Reche hasn't done it yet, but he could be an UPGRADE over Givens.

Sorry to see Mel Mitchell go down. I thought he would take eithter Davis' or Izzo's job. Wait till next year when those guys will be another year older.

The Pats seem to excel in years when they have a set of non draft pickups that out perform expectations. So far Britt, Caldwell, Gardener are doing so and Grammattica, Scott and Tebucky seem to be doing OK too. Chad Brown might be Ok for a year as well. Too Soon ot tell.

Good Omens!

Excellent observations re: Britt, Okie, Gardner, Caldwell and Mitchell. My thoughts, as well.
Good omens, indeed, so far. I can't wait for the preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back