PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

10 good reasons to draft Percy Harvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

My2Cents

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
1. Speed/athleticism. You can’t teach it, nor find it late.

2. Versatility. The more you can do, the more you can do.

3. Even as a reserve, he frees a roster spot for others by playing multiple roles.

4. He has to be accounted for on every single play.

5. He frees teammates from double and triple teams.

6. He forces defenses to stay honest and to play back on their heels.

7. A coach’s dream to work with, not a headache for him.

8. By the time he peaks (year 3?), Moss will be slowing down at 34(?).

9. He’ll join a team that can afford to have him sit and to fully recover.

10. Gamble on greatness! He’s a dynamic, once-in-a-lifetime type player. It is far better to gamble on greatness and miss then to settle for average.

See, also:

Florida Gators Country Football The “Percy Position”

3. Even as a reserve, he frees a roster spot for others by playing multiple roles.

10. Gamble on greatness! He’s a dynamic, once-in-a-lifetime type player. It is far better to gamble on greatness and miss then to settle for average.

See, also:

1. Marques Colston says hi.
2. He's hardly the only versatile player in the draft. Guys like Pat White could probably even do more things on the field, albeit not as fast.
3. So would a whole host of other running backs, wide receivers and cornerbacks.
4. Right, because teams get away with occasionally forgetting about, say, Wes Welker.
5. Ted Ginn Jr. says hi.
6. Randy Moss? He also says hi.
7. Again, there are a whole host of other players who are coachable.
8. A wide receiver might be a good idea to groom, but why Harvin specifically?
9. No high picks can afford to sit in the league any more. They have to be able to play quickly, no matter how good the team.
10. I'd rather have a sure thing that will produce over a boom or bust guy.

Harvin isn't much of a route runner from what I've seen, he's injury prone and there will be better players and values at the point of the draft he'll likely be selected. I hope the front office stays away from him, whether he runs a 4.25 at the combine or not.

See, also:

One reason we wont, BB doesnt "gamble" on first round picks. I could come up with a bunch more.....every WR to ever come out of FL in the past decade.

Ben Watson was not very productive in his college years, but due to his physical athletic ability, the patriots drafted him. I think BB might draft percy harvin, due to his physical athletic ability.

Harvin can be a 3rd down back like kevin faulk. The patriots can throw screens passes to him and have him make a play. Proballly use him on kick off returns and also punt returns. Harvin could also play like wes welker. The patriots was the 6th best rushing team and they had their #1 running back on IR most of the season, so harvin should be productive runningback on the patriots.

I saw some of harvin's highlights on youtube, and he does have really good hands and makes tough catches. Harvins agility is what makes him dangerous, a lot of RB in the NFL have forward speed, but harvins agility and acceleration is just so sick. He is injury prone, but the patriots have shown they can run the ball even with their #1 running back on IR.

I like percy harvin especially if the patriots get to pick twice in the first round, I would love to use one of the picks to grab harvin.

Last edited:
Ben Watson was not very productive in his college years, but due to his physical athletic ability, the patriots drafted him. I think BB might draft percy harvin, due to his physical athletic ability.

Harvin can be a 3rd down back like kevin faulk. The patriots can throw screens passes to him and have him make a play. Proballly use him on kick off returns and also punt returns. Harvin could also play like wes welker. The patriots was the 6th best rushing team and they had their #1 running back on IR most of the season, so harvin should be productive runningback on the patriots.

I saw some of harvin's highlights on youtube, and he does have really good hands and makes tough catches. Harvins agility is what makes him dangerous, a lot of RB in the NFL have forward speed, but harvins agility and acceleration is just so sick. He is injury prone, but the patriots have shown they can run the ball even with their #1 running back on IR.

I like percy harvin especially if the patriots get to pick twice in the first round, I would love to use one of the picks to grab harvin.

Bethel Johnson too.:rolleyes:

Bethel Johnson too.:rolleyes:

You can't compare Bethel to Percy. Percy was an unbelievable playmaker in a SEC conference littered with NFL prospects on the defensive side of the ball. He made a lot of them look stupid and slow. He's also a fierce competitor and not a ****y like Bethel. The only knock on him is that he gets hurt so it will be a risk to use a first round pick for him.

I'll also add that he'd be perfect for our system. All the bubble screens we run, the short passes, and he can even come out of the backfield. He would make our offense that much more dynamic because of his ability to take it all the way each time he has the ball.

If BB has 2 picks in the first round, I could see him using one on Harvey.

One reason we wont, BB doesnt "gamble" on first round picks.QUOTE]

Of course he does. What was Ben Watson, among others? Every pick is a gamble to some extent. Of course, BB also doesn't draft OGs, LBs, and conversions in the first round too.

I'm not advocating for Harvin, but if BB thinks he has adequate value, he will get serious consideration, alomg with several other players.

If Harvin were available with one of our 2nd round picks, I'd certainly consider him. The reason why I don't think he ends up like Bethel or Chad is b/c of his versatility.

If Harvin were available with one of our 2nd round picks, I'd certainly consider him. The reason why I don't think he ends up like Bethel or Chad is b/c of his versatility.

I'd take Harvin no earlier than the 2nd round. He's a tweener much like Reggie Bush. His best use is as an H back catching passes and running routes, not actually running the football. Being a jack of all trades is not necessarily a GOOD thing, because it also means that you are a master of none.

I'd take Harvin no earlier than the 2nd round. He's a tweener much like Reggie Bush. His best use is as an H back catching passes and running routes, not actually running the football. Being a jack of all trades is not necessarily a GOOD thing, because it also means that you are a master of none.

Yeah I wouldn't pull the trigger on him in Round 1 either. I like him as a fit for the Pats, but agree his upside isn't worth a round 1 pick.

Yeah I wouldn't pull the trigger on him in Round 1 either. I like him as a fit for the Pats, but agree his upside isn't worth a round 1 pick.

Jeremy Maclin on the other hand, I would think about. He can do a lot of the same things, but is more polished as a receiver. His route running needs some work like Harvin, but he's much further along there too. He's bigger and less injury prone too.

Jeremy Maclin on the other hand, I would think about. He can do a lot of the same things, but is more polished as a receiver. His route running needs some work like Harvin, but he's much further along there too. He's bigger and less injury prone too.

Can't say I know much about Maclin, but bigger + less injury prone sounds good to me. The fact that they both need route running development is disconcerting (we've been there, right?), but at least having watched Harvin, I can envision a role he's in in which its not an issue, and he can be useful while he develops. Does the same go for Maclin?

Last edited:
Can't say I know much about Maclin, but bigger + less injury prone sounds good to me. The fact that they both need route running development is disconcerting (we've been there, right?), but at least having watched Harvin, I can envision a role he's in in which its not an issue, and he can be useful while he develops. Does the same go for Maclin?

Definitely. He had a similar breakdown in stats like Harvin, where he had some production on the ground (with two or three touchdowns I believe, but I may be confusing him with Heyward-Bey there), and good production in the return game:

YouTube - Jeremy Maclin 99 yd kickoff return TD

There are some other videos on there as well of his returns and open field running. One thing you'll notice is that he's excellent at following his blockers, letting them take a man out of the play and then using his speed to break away from the remaining defenders. Just the kind of player that fits the Patriots offense.

I am not discounting anything, but I will say that I have never seen Harvin do anything I didn't see Reggie Bush do in college as it pertains to athleticism and football speed. I think Bush is a better player than Harvin understanding the RB/WR difference, I feel Bush a closer comparison than some of the other Wr's mentioned. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I am not discounting anything, but I will say that I have never seen Harvin do anything I didn't see Reggie Bush do in college as it pertains to athleticism and football speed. I think Bush is a better player than Harvin understanding the RB/WR difference, I feel Bush a closer comparison than some of the other Wr's mentioned. Just my opinion.

Big difference is that Bush went wild against PAC 10 defenses while Harvin had to do it against SEC defenses. I'm not saying we should draft Harvin with our first round pick, but this guy is as proven as any playmaker coming out of college because of the competition he was up against.

Big difference is that Bush went wild against PAC 10 defenses while Harvin had to do it against SEC defenses. I'm not saying we should draft Harvin with our first round pick, but this guy is as proven as any playmaker coming out of college because of the competition he was up against.

Agreed. A solid point, should have been mine, dang!

You want to know the best reason why to draft Percy Harvin? Chad Jackson! :rolleyes: I'll pass.

You want to know the best reason why to draft Percy Harvin? Chad Jackson! :rolleyes: I'll pass.

Now that's some sound logic. :rolleyes:

Harvin will have the same impact for some team that DeSean Jackson had for the Eagles. Only difference is Harvin is bigger, stronger & more physical.

Would it be safe to compare Percy Harvin to Deon branch, instead of chad jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes