Welcome to PatsFans.com

10 Cool Things About Barack Obama

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by JackPMiller, Jun 29, 2008.

1. JackPMiller

JackPMiller On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

http://www.bet.com/News/Decision08/NewsFlipbookObamaHipMoments.htm?

Youth
    Age is nothing but a number for the presumptive democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama. At 46, he is one of the youngest ever to run for president of the United States. Although his age is seen by some as a disadvantage, Obama has proved to many that there are a lot of positives.

Celeb Support
    His list of celebrity supporters is endless and features people such as legendary artist Stevie Wonder, hit-makers Usher and Wyclef Jean as well as NBA All- Stars Charles Barkley and Kareem Abdul- Jabar.

Grammy
    In 2006, Obama received a Grammy Award for Best Spoken Word Album for the audio edition of his book Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance, which is the first of his two published books. He also published another book The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream, which was released in 2006 and received a Grammy for the best spoken word edition in 2008.

Rap Connection
    Obama has no problem showing his music interests to the world. After his victory in the state of Illinois in January, he and his wife Michelle were seen heading the victory party blaring the hit song “99 Problems” by Jay-Z, one of his known supporters. Not only does he like to listen to Jay-Z but he loves to dance to the hit song “Crazy in Love” by Beyonce.

Ballin'
    Obama also plays basketball in his spare time. In high school, he was a member of his school’s basketball team. There have been many pictures and clips of him showing his skills on the court with his supporters, and you might catch him playing basketball during his campaign stops across the US.

Videos
    Obama has also hit the youth scene through music videos. The most known is “Yes We Can” by will.i.am which features many of the clips from his speeches across the United States. Famous supporters, like Common and John Legend also make guest appearances in the video. Rapper Nas featured many of Obama clips in his music video for his new single “Black President.”

Race
    One of the most controversial subjects surrounding Obama is the question of his ethnicity. Obama is a son of a white American woman and a Kenyan father. Obama being a bi-racial man in America lets him relate to more than one ethnicity as he acknowledges inequalities in every race and ethnic group.

MySpace
    Not only does Obama have an official website but he also has a presence on the social networking scene with a MySpace page. This page gives you access to his views on many political topics and the page also has many links to help you feel and be more involved with his campaign. This has made Obama more accessible to the younger voters in America.

Openness
    Obama hasn’t been shy about admitting his flaws. Throughout his campaign much of his life history has made its way to the public eye whether it is good or bad. Obama has admitted to experimenting with marijuana and cocaine in his teenage years.

Poker
    In addition to basketball, Obama also is a poker player. He’s known to be very good.

2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

Does he like pizza and movies too? We're electing a president here not the prom king. This is everything that's wrong with our election process. Who gives a shit.

3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Ok, so

1. why did you post this?

2. How do you feel about the facts you posted.

3. Do you think they are positives or negatives?

4. Do you support Barak Obama or not?

I've never seen such a strange post of facts with no opinion or point of discussion made. It's almost like you dropped a grenade and ran.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  4. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Yo Wildo...I'm with ya.

What a strange post. I wonder if he'll have the courage to answer my questions.

5. JackPMiller

JackPMiller On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I was not exactly sure which board to post it on, and I saw this little article, and he is running for president, so to show he has a human side, why not the politcal board?

Yes, I support Barack. I was going with Edwards early on, but when he left, I decided to go with Obama. I did not like Hillary for some reason as the president, and Bill was part of it in there some how.

6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Ok, thanks. At least now we know what your motive to post the facts is. It could have been taken either way as in "that's all we need is a president on myspace"

I support him as well. I'm just ready for new, young blood. I like his energy and his passion for the people of this country.

You definately posted it on the right board and welcome.

7. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

I was an Edwards supporter. I understand why you posted it, I just think that the focus is always way too much on the "human side" ("which candidate would you drink a beer with") BS rather than what is actually important.

8. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Yes, and a lot of members here may take those facts and use them in a negative way. I may be wrong, but I've seen it before. I think just listening to him speak is enough to let you know about the human side of him.

Respectfully, the facts Mr Miller posted wouldn't look that great on a presidential resume. Probably wouldn't even belong on it.

But JackMiller, I don't want to discourage you from posting here in any way. We welcome your input and hope you stop by a lot more.

9. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,449 / 20 / -20

#75 Jersey

I was very ambivalent at first on this also. While Jack may be an Obama supporter, it is important to understand that BET was founded by, perhaps, the biggest Hilary psychophant - - Robert Johnson - who is VERY miffed at Obama and has been threatening his campaign if he doesn't choose Hilary as his running mate. Perhaps, the piece is just some innocent fluff - - but, given the source, and the fact that more than a few of us evidently reacted that it might be a sarcastic dig against Obama, there was a little confusion.

Frankly, even if it is a supportive magazine piece - - it is incredibly fluffy and inconsequential (think: Barbara Walters interviewing some leader and asking him if he were a tree what kind of tree he would be, crap).

10. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

lol...very funny

I wasn't aware of the BET connection, so good point on posting that. I am a little more leary now of his post as well.

Political alliances can be very dangerous and counter-productive. Especially when it involves a businessman and a politician. In many ways, running for POTUS has to be a trying experience.

I guess that's the reality of politics in 2008.

11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +711 / 20 / -30

Mondo Bizarro...

12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +487 / 20 / -17

I think overall it shows Obama is a very modern person. For people who simply want change and are tired of the traditional battles between Democrats and Republicans that will make Obama more appealing. He's been informed by things that older people are less likely to have been informed by. That's neither good nor bad, but it is interesting, and it will appeal to younger people. It also makes him more likeable in the same way that Clinton's musical abilities and relatively ordinary upbringing made him more likeable. For most of us, it's easier to relate to someone like Obama than someone like Bush, who was born with a golden foot in his mouth, or someone like McCain who grew up as part of the military and remarried into money after his first wife got disfigured in an accident.

13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +711 / 20 / -30

Shh a dirty little secret that no one really wants to talk about..

14. Keegs

Keegs In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

wow, the myspace and "ballin" and whatever the hell else you said in this thread is pretty funny. I don't think anyone is comparing who has more myspace friends and voting for that person.

But for the reason i quoted above, Obama will be getting my vote. And i don't even like him.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  15. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Wow, I agree with you for the second time in a few days. Well said.

Gee, I didn't know he had a MySpace page...... He's looking a little more attractive now. If he only would set up a Facebook account, that would seal the deal for me. :rolleyes:

16. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +116 / 10 / -15

#37 Jersey

Jack, do you go to Renaissance Bistro by any chance?

17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

I heard he likes..ok I won't go there. :banned: (humor people)

Bingo Wildo. I have a myspace page, so does that make me worthy of the being president?

18. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You've got a myspace page? :rolleyes:

19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

Actually I got two. One my fiance knows about, and another....nevermind. :banned:

20. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I had a friend who did that--not with myspace, but with another one of those...funny part was, he forgot to clear his windows and his wife found out he'd done it.

She created a profile herself, contacted him pretending to be "Honey" or some damn thing, arranged a date...and when he showed up she beat the living snot out of him.

Once he came to though they had great sex. But now he has to hear that periodically for the rest of his life.