PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

10 burning questions about this season and next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

hallfamebrady

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Like everyone else, I am disappointed in the outcome of this season but proud of their performance. I am still amazed an 11 - 5 team failed to make the playoffs. In 2001, 11 - 5 got a first round bye.

Questions about the past and about the future. I have inserted by answers below.

1. Would a Tom Brady led team made the playoffs?

2. What was the play or the decision that had the most impact on not making the playoffs?

3. Who was the biggest surprise in 2008?

4. Who was the biggest disappointment in 2008?

5. Should the Pats franchise Matt Cassel? If yes, should they keep Cassel or trade Cassel?

6. Will Tedy Bruschi or Rodney Harrison return in 2009?

7. What position is in need of the biggest upgrade of in 2009?

8. Will the Pats make a big splash in FA?

9. Which player will not be on the 2009 roster that will be a big surprise?

10. Will Josh McDaniels be the OC next year?

1. Yes, I think they would have gone 13 - 3 or 14 - 2. The Indy and the NYJ games were wins with Brady.

2. Not going for 2 at the end of the NYJ game at home. The defense was bad all night and leaving the game to a coin toss was unwise.

3. Besides Matt Cassel, Jerod Mayo

4. Ellis Hobbs and Laurence Maroney

5. Franchise and trade for a 1st round pick.

6. Yes, no

7. CB

8. Depends on how quickly they can trade Cassel. I think a Cassel deal will involve players if it drags on (ie Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis) since top tier FAs will be off the market

9. Mike Vrabel

10. No

1.Yes. Brady has proven he is a winner
2.when Kevin Faulk went to that concert last year and got caught with pot.That one decision could be the end of Bradys career.
3.Cassel
4. Cowboys, but I love it......
5.Yes. Hopefully, just to get draft picks.
6. No.
7.cb. lb ol
8. yes
9. Tom brady....I will cry. :eek:
10.No

---Yes.

2. What was the play or the decision that had the most impact on not making the playoffs?
---Tough to say, maybe the Jets calling heads instead of tails in overtime. Or Dave Thomas' bonehead penalty.

---Easy, Cassel.

---Maroney getting hurt again, or Watson.

5. Should the Pats franchise Matt Cassel? If yes, should they keep Cassel or trade Cassel?
---Assuming Brady is going to be good to go, then yes and trade for a late one or high 2 +.

---Bruschi maybe, doubt Harrison.

---Corner, though one of those upgrades may be Wheatley.

---Doubt it. More likely to use the money to lock up their own 2009 free agents. Possible I suppose to use a draft pick to trade for someone since we have a few.

---Shot in the dark, Watson.

---Yes.

Great questions...but I am too depressed right now to answer, fact is I could answer Tom Brady or the Tom Brady play or because of Tom Brady to each and every question except 9(watson) and maybe 7 (upgrade DB's & TE's) & 8 (yes - D. Branch), as I would tie my other answers to each TB.

Last edited:

I have no doubt that this team would have made the playoffs if Brady had been healthy.

There were about 6 plays post-Brady, but I'll go with Brady's injury.

I'd probably go with Guyton.

Dave Thomas followed by everyone who played #2 cornerback

Franchise and trade

I'll guess that Tedy does

Tight end and #2 cornerback

It depends upon how long it takes to resolve the Cassel situation

Gaffney is probably the most likely "surprise"

He'll be a head coach if he wants to be. I'm going to guess that he'll look around and see plenty of positions open, and find one that he likes.

- Yes, 13-3, at least

- Brady getting hurt, then poor start vs. Jets; bad plays in Indy

- Cassel, Meiweather to an extent;Guyton, Myo

- Maroney; I thought he'd build off of the end of last year

- yes, he'll be a Lion for a 1 from Dallas and a 3

- both cheaply for depth

- strong safety, OLB

- yes, 2 or 3 on D; Branch on the cheap, and Larry Johnson

- Maroney...traded draft day; James Sanders

- nope, in Detroit with Cassel and Pioli

Like everyone else, I am disappointed in the outcome of this season but proud of their performance. I am still amazed an 11 - 5 team failed to make the playoffs. In 2001, 11 - 5 got a first round bye.

Questions about the past and about the future. I have inserted by answers below.

Yes. There are two or three games he would have won that Cassel didn't: Colts, Jets and maybe Steelers as Brady wouldn't have let the game get out of control in the 2nd half.

Clock management in the Jets game. Also letting up 3d and 15 in OT for a Favre completion...if I had to pick one play.

Cassel

Not "who" but "what". Any of the injuries....

Franchise and keep him. Brady will not be ready for the beginning (I think) and we just saw how important every win is.

TB -no, I hope, for his sake
Rodney - yes, but he won't last a whole season, IMO

RB and ILB

Yes

Maroney

No, he'll be a HC

Last edited:
- Yes, 12-4 (he can't defend the Wildcat, Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers, or put up 34 on the 2008 Steelers).

- Letting Brev Farte convert 3rd and 15. Made me flashback to February.

- Vrabes...looks like a practice squad player.

- Chad Jackson (I really thought he'd turn the corner, but this is why I am a spectator).

- Franchise and trade with the promise he will imitate Brev Farte any time he has to play vs. NEPats.

- Hopefully as assistant coaches but I think Tedy will play for us next year.

- LB unless Guyton, Redd, and Crable can make the jump.

- Hopefully only on Defense. No need to upset the 3 headed monster in the backfield.

- Maroney.

- Yes. Who has a 'good job' open? With Cowher and Schottenheimer out there, a team would really risking it hiring Josh and Josh may end up like Mangini.

1. Would a tom brady led team made the playoffs? Definitely

2. What was the play or the decision that had the most impact on not making the playoffs? Gaffney's drop against the colts where he was wide open. That would have won that game for the pats.

3. Who was the biggest surprise in 2008? Matt cassell hands down. It's no contest.

4. Who was the biggest disappointment in 2008? Didn't watch enough of your games to know.

5. Should the pats franchise matt cassel? If yes, should they keep cassel or trade cassel? Depends on what you can get for him. Trading a talented backup has worked for other teams i.e. Delhomme to the panthers, hasselback to the seahawks, schaub to the texans.

6. Will tedy bruschi or rodney harrison return in 2009? Don't know.

7. What position is in need of the biggest upgrade of in 2009? Don't know.

8. Will the pats make a big splash in fa? Don't know.

9. Which player will not be on the 2009 roster that will be a big surprise? Peyton manning :d just kidding!

10. Will josh mcdaniels be the oc next year? As a colts fan i sure hope not! Though i emailed him a thank you note for never throwing the ball to moss against us :d

1. Would a Tom Brady led team made the playoffs? Yes, I think he gets the Indy game.

2. What was the play or the decision that had the most impact on not making the playoffs? Has to be the Brady injury, but aside from that, I'd say 3rd and 15

3. Who was the biggest surprise in 2008? Cassel, bar none

4. Who was the biggest disappointment in 2008? Dave Thomas, Deltha O'Neil

5. Should the Pats franchise Matt Cassel? If yes, should they keep Cassel or trade Cassel? Only franchise if they are assured a trade can be worked out... you can't afford to throw so much money at one position

6. Will Tedy Bruschi or Rodney Harrison return in 2009? Tedy comes back (although, god love him for everything he's done, I do wish he would ride off into the night...

7. What position is in need of the biggest upgrade of in 2009? Defense, defense, defense... particularly in the secondary, but I'm ok with investing in a linebacker

8. Will the Pats make a big splash in FA? Eh, I doubt it...

9. Which player will not be on the 2009 roster that will be a big surprise? Big surprise? I agree that Gaffney might be gone...

10. Will Josh McDaniels be the OC next year? Only if he wants to be... there will be a job somewhere out there for him, especially with all the success that Smith/Sporano/Harbaugh have had. The interesting question is who takes over the OC position if Josh leaves? Do they promote from within? (Ivan Fears, for example), or do they look outside?

10 chars....

Sure. One more win would have sufficed.

3rd-and-15 in OT vs. the Jets.

Guyton. I'd been saying for years that high-pick LBs were good bets, so I expected Mayo.

Not counting injuries, David Thomas.

Franchise him. Whether to keep him depends on Brady's health.

Yes and yes, but perhaps not Opening Day.

CB, but I'm optimistic about the rooks.

No, except that they'll spend a lot on locking up their own players if Cassell's cap hit permits.

None. Has there been a really surprising cut since Otis Smith?

No. He'll be a HC, the cautionary examples of Weis, Crennel, Mangini, and Saban notwithstanding.

-No, "Superbowl Loser Jinx" had the Pats doomed before the season started.

-Besides the "Superbowl Loser Jinx", a combination of poor Special Teams play and a weak secondary.

-Matt Cassel, he turned out not to be a "deer in the headlights".

-Jabar Gafney, he did not step up when giving the opportunity.(ex. Colts game)

-Show some moxy, keep Matt and trade Tom. Send Tom to Hollywood where he wants to be.

-Yes, to both. The Pats are becoming the Old Folks Home for aged football players.

-Cornerback.

-No.

-Maroney.

-Yes.

Yes, and we would be thinking championship with the weak state of the NFL this year.

I would say 3rd and 15 against the Jets in OT, but the Dave Thomas penalty at Indy also deserves mention

Matt Cassel performing well at QB

I would say the draft class outside of Mayo. Have to have more rookies come in and contribute immediately.

Yes, but only if they can determine that there will be an active trade market for his services. Trade him

I think Rodney knows he's done. Bruschi will be back in the rotation at ILB, but will be on the field even less than he was in '08

CB- An ESTABLISHED cornerback is a must acquistion this offseason. The Pats have to add a CB that they know can play, versus someone they hope can play. A pass rusher is also a pressing need.

No, my prediction is the Pats use one of their 2nd round picks to trade for a veteran defender at LB or CB.

I can't think of a huge shock, but I'll go with Benjarvus Green-Ellis. The Pats backs will be Maroney, Morris, Jordan, Faulk, and Evans.

No, there will be too many job openings and the fact that the Patriots are not in the playoffs means he will be able to interview at any time.

1. Yes, however Cassel was not the main reason we lost any of those 5 games

2. Dave Thomas' penalty vs the colts

3. The obvious answer is Cassel. Other than him, probably Benjarvus Green-Ellis and Guyton

4. Maroney

5. I would love to be able to franchise and trade him, but if there are any setbacks with Brady's injury we might need to try and convince him to stay with a short contract (almost impossible to get done)

6. I feel like it's yes and yes. However, Bruschi should retire. He honestly has nothing left. Rodney still plays at a decent level, when healthy.

7. Linebacker still. We'll get AD back, but him and Vrabel have definitely been good but not great lbs the last couple yrs, and in our defense we need lbs that can make more plays.

8. Probably not, although there will probably be rumors of Nnamdi

9. Maroney

10. Probably not, after what he did with the offense the last 2 yrs someone will give him a shot as the hc somewhere.

Yes

The Colts game. Combine the Gaffney wide open drop with the late Thomas block and some unusual decisions from BB. We could have won that game and, if we had, we'd be trying to figure out what this team needs to do in order to beat down Baltimore next week.

Cassel without a doubt. Most thought he should have been cut in training camp. Now we're looking at receiving tons of compensation for him in a trade. Next up would be Randy Moss.

It's hard for me to single someone out here, but I'd have to say Deltha O'Neal although I didn't have huge expectations for him coming into the season.

Yes. To expound, it's pretty simple. If Brady is healthy and is ready to go for opening day, trade him and see what you can get draft pick wise. If he is not and the rumors about a setback are true, keep him.

I can see Bru returning for one last season but not Rodney. That injury just looked devestating. His career is likely over.

Secondary, LB corps (particularly a pass rusher), blocking tight end (Graham), and offensive line. In that order.

Hard to say. I think if they do it would probably be on the offensive side of the ball while improving the defense through the draft. Personally, I'm really hoping to see Darren Sproles in a Patriot uniform in 2009. I don't think we're going to be in the running for Asomughua.

My guess is Seymour. His contract year and Wilfork's contract year are both here I think. If it's between the two, I can see us giving Wilfork the nice extension and playing Jarvis Green (not a bad alternative) in his place while drafting a possible replacement.

Again, hard to say. I thought his year to leave was last year but he will probably get offered a HC job with a fat contract since he proved he doesn't have to rely on Brady in order for his offense to execute.

Yes. Cassel has had a brilliant year, but Brady probably would have converted at least one of those red zone drives into a TD in the Indy game. The question is moot, though.

To me, it was the timeout called in the Indy game on what would have been a first down.

Guyton. I liked him as a special teamer but didn't expect him to crack the rotation. He looks like a potential starter at a position that has been miscast for years.

The special teams coverage units. That element of the game was MIA over the first 60% of the season. Killed us in the Jets game. We were not getting the field position that we regularly had in 2007. It made a difference early in the season.

No. It will not be possible to keep Cassel here long term. He has earned a full time starting job and the team can't dedicate 20% of its cap space to one position. Even a tag/trade deal will cripple the team at the start of free agency, where there is some substantial linebacker and corner talent available. The only way this could work is if there was a handshake deal in place before the start of free agency, a la Asante Samuel.

I don't think so. I think the time is right for both players and for the team to move on. I'll always love 'em.

Cornerback by a longshot. I would have said safety a month ago, but Meriweather has torn it up since and is looking like a legit starter.

I see them more likely to bring in someone cut or to make a trade for a player. I don't think there is a big free agent that fits into the Patriots scheme or price range. They are not going to pay Suggs or Asomugha. They'll make a move but it will be after the peak of free agency.

Most likely a high 2008 draft pick like Wheatley or Crable. What other big surprise cut would there be? Maroney? Too much upside and too inexpensive.

Probably not. There will be a lot of openings this offseason and McDaniels may have the luxury of picking up a team that is in decent shape, personnel wise. We're looking at potential openings in New York, Buffalo, Cleveland, Indy (if Dungy retires) Oakland, Philly, Tampa, St. Louis, Seattle...it's going to be hard to say no to this market.

Yes. We win at least one of the games against the Jets at home or at Indy, maybe both. Brady would have also led scoring drives against MIA and SD so the complexion of those games might have been different. I think against Pittsburgh, the elements, Light getting beat like a drum, and bad drops, I don't knolw if it really would have mattered if Brady was in there.

This is a loaded question. So many ways to answer. The obvious one is Brady getting injured. Then you look at key plays like the 3rd and 15 in OT against the Jets. Dave Thomas' bonehead penalty. Gaffney's drop against Indy and Watson's fumble against the Jets. One key play that gets overlooked is when Adalius gets hurt. That play wasn't replayed enough but the repercussions was staggering. Our pass rush was not consistent, but at least with AD, there was always a threat and he did put pressure on in critical moments during games. With him out, our pass rush completely disappeared and our pass defense got totally exposed.

No brainer. Cassel. Threads were made of him on these boards of him being cut in favor of Goots in the preseason. Now he will be the most sought after FA in the offseason. Unbelievable!:eek:

Chad Jackson. So much expected of him coming into the season and he doesn't even make the team even though he had another year in his contract. Biggest bust in the BB/Pioli era.

If we Franchise Cassel, the mandatory compensation is 2 first rounders. That's a high price for any team. Very risky in franchising Cassel in hopes for getting a trading partner. Best case scenario is to sign and trade. This way, the other team isn't stuck in having to give up 2 first rounders. I've read it somewhere (maybe Mike Lombardi's blog) that the Pats best scenario is to contact a team and have that team work out an agreement/contract with Cassel, have Matt sign the contract with the Pats, then trade him to that team. The reasoning would be that the other team prevents Cassel from going into the open market and thus maybe going to the highest bidder. This scenario would work out if Cassel agrees to help the Pats out.

I think Tedy will try. I hope if he does return, BB gives the younger guys equal opportunity to usurp him in the starting lineup. I'd love for Guyton to be the starter next to Mayo.

CB. Wheatley looked pretty good and Wilhite competes, but we need depth back there since CBs getting injured in NE is an annual thing.

I don't think so. We have players on our team who's contracts need to be addressed.

Bruschi. He'll give it a shot but will lose his starting spot in the preseason and I think he'll give it up when he realizes he will no longer be the starter.

Yes. Too many other coordinators ahead of him that other teams will give jobs to (Spagnulo, Schwartz, Rex) and ex head coaches (Cowher, Marty, Fassel, Martz).

1. Would a Tom Brady led team made the playoffs? (Yes, MC's development in the beginning likely cost us a win or two)

3. Who was the biggest surprise in 2008? (Easily MC. Notable mention for Mayo)

4. Who was the biggest disappointment in 2008? (Easily, Maroney. )

5. Should the Pats franchise Matt Cassel? If yes, should they keep Cassel or trade Cassel? (Franchise then trade him for the best deal possible. That's a no brainer.)

6. Will Tedy Bruschi or Rodney Harrison return in 2009? (neither will be back though Bruschi is an outside chance. Rodney has too many injury issues to overcome plus he seems to have a solid after football plan from what i have read)

7. What position is in need of the biggest upgrade of in 2009? (no brainer, CB and LB)

8. Will the Pats make a big splash in FA? (depends on the Cassell/Brady Situation. Likely they will to a very measured extent)

9. Which player will not be on the 2009 roster that will be a big surprise? (no big surprises coming. Heath Evans, Gaffney or Izzo are staples and they may not be back. None would qualify as big surprises)

10. Will Josh McDaniels be the OC next year? (80% chance he'll be back. He needs more seasoning, and unlike Mangini, I think he will realize that. That said, if a great situation presents itself, he'll be gone)

Yes, I'd estimate 14-2.

2 for me. Dave Thomas penalty against the Colts and the Jets converting 3rd and 15.

Matt Cassel

Ben Watson

Yes. An insurance blanket until we are 95% sure of Brady's rehab completed.

I hope so, as part of the rotation.

Either cornerback or outside linebacker stud.

I'd rather seem them make good business decisions based on value to the team that lavish Cowboy acquisitions. If that big splash is Asomugha then throw what I have said out the window.

Maybe Bru... and he is my all time favourite.

Ofcourse he will. He'll stay with BB to learn how to coach defenses as part of his general head coach grooming.

Last edited:

1. No doubt, I think the Miami Indy and Sd games would have been wins, who knows about Pitt.. Cassel was on a learning curve...

2 Matt Slaters fumble in the pitt game it gave momentum..

3 Gary Guyton

4 Ben watston- 2 years in a row

5 No , the defense needs fixing dont tie up money unless Brady somehow does not play

6 Bruschi yes- Harrison no

7 CB

8 No

9 I thought about putting Richard Seymoer ,because its a guy I think they could live with out..But it could be Vrabel.

10 NO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes