PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

10-11 Offensive Lineman

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I suggest that we might carry 10-11 OL's: 8 on the 53 and 2-3 on the Practice Squad.

We have our starters and Cannon as a Game Day backup. That makes 6.

We have McDonald, Zusevcis, and Svitek. Do we NEED all 3 on the 53 man roster? I would suggest that we would be fine with Zusevics OR Svitek. We don't need 5 OT's on the 53.

The BOTTOM LINE is that we never replaced Thomas. Perhaps, the conclusion should be that we need to add a veteran OG. To me, counting Cannon as an OG just so that we can carry 4 OT's in addition to Cannon is just plain silly. Cannon may be an OG, but he certainly is a capable backup OT, who can start.

I suggest that we might carry 10-11 OL's: 8 on the 53 and 2-3 on the Practice Squad.

We have our starters and Cannon as a Game Day backup. That makes 6.

We have McDonald, Zusevcis, and Svitek. Do we NEED all 3 on the 53 man roster? I would suggest that we would be fine with Zusevics OR Svitek. We don't need 5 OT's on the 53.

The BOTTOM LINE is that we never replaced Thomas. Perhaps, the conclusion should be that we need to add a veteran OG. To me, counting Cannon as an OG just so that we can carry 4 OT's in addition to Cannon is just plain silly. Cannon may be an OG, but he certainly is a capable backup OT, who can start.

I think it totally depends on Cannon's ability to play OG. If he's able to back up both Tackle and Guard I think you only care 8 on the 53. Solder, Mankins, Wendy, Connolly, Volmer, Cannon, McDonald, and your choice of Svitek or Zusevcis.

we really should have 9 OL. 2 back-up tackles and 2 back-up interior boys. we could do 8 if someone starts on PUP and there's some flexibility with guys like Cannon on position.

With our injury woes in previous years on the O-line, especially two seasons ago, we really can't afford to carry fewer than 9 on the 53. Hopefully that veteran tackle we picked up is a legitimate back-up tackle and not a dud.

it's just such a long season to risk only having 8.

Before TC so we know how players are actually performing, I'd go with:

OT:
Solder
Vollmer
Svitek
Cannon (G)

OC:
Wendell

OG:
Connolly (C)
N. McDonald (C)
Mankins

Then candidates for the PS: Stankiewitch, Zusevics, Fisher & C. McDonald

Cannon is certainly able to be our second backup at OG, after McDonald. He did play some last year at RG.

I just don't see us carry 5 OT's.

I think it totally depends on Cannon's ability to play OG. If he's able to back up both Tackle and Guard I think you only care 8 on the 53. Solder, Mankins, Wendy, Connolly, Volmer, Cannon, McDonald, and your choice of Svitek or Zusevcis.

I remember comments about the team being high on Zusevics last year. Zusevics, McDonald, and Cannon should all provide some position flexibility. Svitek may be fighting for a job on the roster.

Last edited:
Me, I'm not too concerned about the Pats having "never replaced Thomas", and as a result needing to go out and sign a veteran guard.

Consider this: a year ago Thomas was considered to be a longshot to even make the roster! Entering the 2012 off season, Nick McDonald was what Thomas turned out to be. His season was derailed by a training camp injury, and Thomas seized the opportunity.

I'm confident that if McDonald does not do the same this year, that somebody else will. Let's not forget that Zusevics will have two years to rehab his injury, plus a full year of tutelage in the Dante Scarnechia Academy.

As far as Cannon goes, I think that you may be selling him short by characterizing him as no more than a second backup guard; I would not be surprised if he ends up as being the starting RG this year.

Nine offensive linemen seems to make the most sense to me. The five starters; whoever they may end up being two gameday backups (one that can play tackle and on on the interior); and two inactives, again one OT and one C/G.

Last edited:
Me, I'm not too concerned about the Pats having "never replaced Thomas", and as a result needing to go out and sign a veteran guard.

Consider this: a year ago Thomas was considered to be a longshot to even make the roster! Entering the 2012 off season, Nick McDonald was what Thomas turned out to be. His season was derailed by a training camp injury, and Thomas seized the opportunity.

I'm confident that if McDonald does not do the same this year, that somebody else will. Let's not forget that Zusevics will have two years to rehab his injury, plus a full year of tutelage in the Dante Scarnechia Academy.

As far as Cannon goes, I think that you may be selling him short by characterizing him as no more than a second backup guard; I would not be surprised if he ends up as being the starting RG this year.

Nine offensive linemen seems to make the most sense to me. The five starters, whoever they may end up being; two gameday backups, one that can play tackle and on on the interior; and two inactives, again one OT and one C/G.

Totally agreed.

And, regardind cap managing considerations, age and last year perfomance, I believe that Dan Connolly is the starter more prolly to lost not only his line-up position but also perhaps its 53 man roster slot.

Cutting Connolly this year will save more than 750.000 $, and he was, IMHO, the worst starter in O-line. Also, he is in wrong side of 30's.

I can see Marcus Cannon as the new RG starter.

Off. Tackles backups: Svitek and Zusevics. Bearing in mind that Cannon could play also as RT.

Interior Linemen backups: Nick McDonald and the winner of TC battle between Stankiewitch & Kline.

Practice squadders: Loser of TC battle between Stankiewitch & Kline and Elvis Fisher.

This way, we have this depth chart:

Left Tackle: Solder, Vollmer, Svitek.
Left Guard: Mankins, N. McDonald, (Kline)
Center: Wendell, N. McDonald, (Stankiewitch)
Right Guard: Cannon, N. McDonald, Zusevics
Right Tackle: Vollmer, Svitek, Cannon, Zusevics

And in P-Squad we have a Tackle (Fisher) & a interior OF lineman (Stankiewitch/Kline) learning the ropes from Scarnechia, so feeding pipeline from next years.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back