PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#1 Seed, Are You Surprised?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very surprised...I think it is a combination of some Patriot over-achievement and some AFC under-achievements (ex. Chargers, Jets, Steelers...)

On paper our Pats are the clear front runners yet I see vulnerabilities that could easily derail this team's Superbowl chances.

Surprised??!! I am disgusted. BB is killing our draft. This is supposed to be an 7-9 rebuilding year. The team will not get a top 10 pick.

Terrible job.

I'm shocked, pleased and proud, but shocked more than anything.....

Who me surprised? Give me a break.

If you told me that our defense would give up 6000 yards, and we would be where we are -- are you kidding? I fully expected that.

If you told me of all our injuries, I still would not be dissuaded. I insist I fully expected that.

If you told me we would be without Moss and with no-name or too-long-name runningbacks, I would tell you I am not disturbed.

Nothing could curb my enthusiasm. I fully expected we would be where we are.

Just like all my fellow Pats Fans.

I had a feeling we'd go 12-4, 13-3 tops. They could go one better then that. And I thought myself an optimist. :p

It became more evident to me believe it or not when Pat's traded Moss.

I agree... I immediately knew it was a "Lawyer Milloy" moment in the season.

Before that I was in the 10-6 club - killer schedule, plus the injuries and OL situations, knowing that regardless of record all that matters is making it to the playoffs in good health.

You really gotta give credit to Belichick, Brady, and all the team leaders for pulling together.

Whoever came up with the offensive strategy of pulling a rope a dope within the division - letting other teams like the Jets gear up for a game anchored by Moss, and then abandoning it for a scheme that uses a TE as a deep WR to keep Ds honest and a low risk high reward short ball control game to score points efficiently and minimize turnovers deserves a big raise too.

This is one great season!

Most people on this board view me as one of the most negative posters on this board.

I don't think I ever posted it, but I felt the Pats would go 10-6, maybe 11-5 but it wouldn't surprise me if they went 9-7.

However, I felt they'd still win the division.

Tonight, I BBQ'd some crow and it tastes quite good.

Regardless of what happens in the playoffs, the Pats have exceeded my expectations.

I feared if the Pats couldn't put together a solid draft and their prior draft picks making an impact, their window would shut.

Well, that doesn't look like it's going to happen, especially when you consider how many draft picks they have in the first 3 rounds of next year's draft.

Last edited:
Not only are we the #1 seed, but how many nfl records are we currently setting? Never, never, never would have expected this season.

I'll be honest: Early in the season when Brady looked good but not great, I was wondering if he would ever be the same following the knee injury. Especially during the Browns game where he was pegging guys feet. I am in complete shock and amazement that he is pretty much in 2007 form, maybe better. I mean, he is on a rampage ATM. This, coupled with the fact the defense was still sub-par early on, I did not think they would the #1 seed. Now, the D has been playing very well, with a bunch of turnovers as well as limiting opponent's points in the past couple games (3, 7, 27, 3)

Brady's current streak: 24 TD 0 INT streak. Incredible!

Last edited:
I was more surprised they lost to the Ravens last year than this year's playoff run.

GB is going to the Super Bowl in the NFC. I am convinced of this.

This. Somehow they reminded me of the 2007 Giants. If they got in, they could be dangerous. The current Pat is very special though. I felt the 07 Pats took the Giants "lightly". I doubt the current Pats will take anyone lightly.

This season has been a pleasant surprise. Wasn't sure what to expect after they traded Moss. Watching the young players grow up during the season has made this season to be one of the most satisfying ever.

no i didnt and if anyone says they did they are lying
this board was in armageddon at the start of the season and it only got worse after the loss to the jets

Nope. I quite literally predicted this.

no i didnt and if anyone says they did they are lying
this board was in armageddon at the start of the season and it only got worse after the loss to the jets

I agree Badluck, this place really went south after the Jets loss. But all of the old timers tried to fight that off and knew you had a decent shot. I dont think anyone knew you were this good.

But I give kudos to the faithful.. you know who you are:)
KontradictioN, ausbacker, convertedpatsfan, Patspsycho, DarrylS, eagle eye, Holy Diver, Joker, Patriot_in_NY, PatsSox363804,PatsFanSince74, Patsjew to name a few

Last edited:
Where to start with my list of "surprises".....

1. The performance of the rookies: Hernandez, Gronk, Cunningham, Spikes and McCourty.

2. BJGE and the 928 rushing yards.

3. Danny Woodhead. Signed out of nowhere and tallying more than 900 total yards.

4. Randy Moss being traded.

5. Re-acquiring Deion Branch.

5a. Branch surpassing 700 yards and scoring 5 TDs.

6. Winning without Bodden and Ty Warren... and Moss.

7. Not only making the playoffs, but winning the AFC East and gaining HF advantage.

What doesn't surprise me...

is that Belichick has his team prepared to play nearly every Sunday and Brady is competing as if he has something to prove to the world. When you add those two ingredients to any team, your going to win a few games. Fortunately, the pieces came together and bought into the system.

Sadly, the first round pick from the Raiders won't be as high as I expected.

My low expectations of this team during it's rebuilding phase has been grossly surpassed.

I´m not surprised to see the team play at this level except Brady is having an even better year then I expected.

Having said that I´m very surprised that the Pats have the #1 seed locked up. Now shoot me if you want but I don´t think this team is as good as the other SB-teams the Pats have fielded over the past decade especially on D (I know they are not in the SB yet but looking at the competition I think the have a very good shot). Before the season started I didn´t think the level that the Pats have been playing at would have been nearly good enough to get the # 1 seed - maybe 10 or 11 wins and maybe a division title depending on how the Jets would perform. I think the level of the whole league have been down this season with everybody beating everybody. It took a long time for a caliberteam to emerge but since the Cleveland game this Pats team seem to have been just that.

Anyway I´m very happy with the team this years. BB, the players and all the other coaches have done a fantastic job but thats kind of what you expect out of a BB lead team. I just didn´t think they would get this far. The resent draft might have been one af the best for the Pats in a long time.

I didn't expect #1 seed! I expected #3 or #4! nevermind a bye and homefield advantage!

No I didn't expect this. I love my team, but when before the season started they lost Ty Warren and Leigh Bodden for the year, I expected a year full of injuries. I realize they've won Super Bowls with heavily injured teams, but this was different.

This was a team where half the team were rookies or second year players. Go ahead, look at the roster.

What happened besides Brady having his best year ever? Patriots' brass got rid of Thomas, and Springs, and Moss, and Burgess, and Maroney. They replaced those types of non-locker room friendly players with no less than FIVE college team captain draft picks, and with Crumpler, and other team players, and great locker room guys. Several other vets said they must become leaders and did (Brady and Wilfolk were the most vocal on this). None of this can be underestimated.

Oh, and my prediction on injuries.......well, lets just say the opposite happened. They lost their share, but many of the injured are back or will be.

The stars are aligned. The team is hungry with youth and great leading veterans. I never saw this coming, but am beyond happy that it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes