PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#1 O and D

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaBrady

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Just in case you guys didn't see it yet, we have #1 Offense AND Defense in points allowed right now. (I doubt it would change much after Giants game)

We all know about the O but check out the D:
RNK NAME PTS/G
1 New England 15.9
Tampa Bay 15.9
3 Pittsburgh 16.1
4 Indianapolis 16.4

Last edited:
That has to be some type of NFL team record, it is pretty incredible considering all the threads about our aging linebackers, Seymour sucking, Warren having an off year, Hobbs being inadequate and run defense..

Well having such a powerful offense that can rake out 8 minute drives at will and continue to score or pin the opposition back near their endzone with out giving up turnovers will certainly help the defense in the points allowed category. With that said, our defense has been terrific this year!

Last edited:
The problem I have with using point is at the very least you need to back out defensive TDs.

Some of the 551 points that the Patriots offense is credited with were int, fumble recoveries, punt returns or kick off returns that occurred while the offense was sitting on the bench drinking gatoraid.

Likewise some 239 that the defense is charged with giving up occurred when the offense was on the field. Int for TD.

That has to be some type of NFL team record, it is pretty incredible considering all the threads about our aging linebackers, Seymour sucking, Warren having an off year, Hobbs being inadequate and run defense..

Not really, I know the 1996 Packers did it. So did the 1972 Dolphins. Quickly going back to some old great teams (pro-football-reference is your friend), the 55 Browns did it (Paul Brown/Otto Graham) too. A bunch of teams have been 1st in one and 2nd in the other.

The problem I have with using point is at the very least you need to back out defensive TDs.

Some of the 551 points that the Patriots offense is credited with were int, fumble recoveries, punt returns or kick off returns that occurred while the offense was sitting on the bench drinking gatoraid.

Likewise some 239 that the defense is charged with giving up occurred when the offense was on the field. Int for TD.

Points are a much better predictor of performance than yards. It correlates with wins quite well and is much better than yards in predicting future performance.

And the difference isn't that big in reality. If you took away the 11 non-rushing/passing TDs, the Pats still have the most points. If you take away the non-defensive touchdowns, the Pats still have the #2 scoring defense (still tied with TB) with less than a TD difference between (NFC West/Jr varsity leading) Seattle and New England.

And thats before you credit the Patriots offense with giving away few TD and the NE defense credit for scoring TDs. When you take that into account, the New England defense would be far and away the #1 defense.

You don't get an average point differential of almost 21 points accidentally.

Sure, if it was offensive touchdowns. It's a team stat, thus including any TD period. I don't see whats wrong with crediting anyone on a team with a TD regardless of how they did it, it's still points right? Everyone gets a few defensive points, usually.

we have a championship defense.,...

and a historic offense....

altogether an incredible team for the ages....

we all knew that rit?

Sure, if it was offensive touchdowns. It's a team stat, thus including any TD period. I don't see whats wrong with crediting anyone on a team with a TD regardless of how they did it, it's still points right? Everyone gets a few defensive points, usually.

Not saying this is the case.

Team A: 0 TD on offense in fact never gets a first down all game and punts twice, but def has 2 ints and 3 FF for TDs.

Are we going to say the team has a great offense because it score 35 points? No the defense was awesome.

Team B: throws 2 ints and has 3 FF for TD.

Are we going to say the defense sucks because it game up 35 points? No, the offense sucked.

Lest we forget, 229 of those points came against the AFC Least while only having 77 scored against them from the dynamic Bills, Dolphins and Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down