Welcome to PatsFans.com

1 in 6 Americans Now Receive Gov't Assistance!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Apr 13, 2011.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +553 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Record number of Americans get government help

"NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- One in six Americans are receiving help from the government, just as fiscal austerity threatens to reduce some of that aid.

Soaring unemployment during The Great Recession has driven tens of millions of people to the dole. Enrollment in Medicaid and food stamp programs are at record highs, while unemployment insurance rolls remain at elevated levels. Many people depend on more than one program."

Record number of Americans helped by government safety net - Apr. 13, 2011

This is the kind of information that tells us the truth about our economy. The Great Recession is not over and years from now, history will show it did not end in January of 2009.

People say, "Well, it's not nearly as bad as the Great Depression where people had to wait in line for food". But guess what? Food Stamps have replaced food lines and I believe it's a much better way to help people. But the food lines are there, they just blend in with everyone else.

The reason I'm posting this is so we can truthfully assess where we are and/or where we need to go. I think we all know deep down that our gov't and our taxpayers can't afford to keep this up for much longer.

In my opinion, the answers lie in economics and in gov't spending. We can reduce our spending dramatically and we can improve upon how our gov't does need to spend. Our gov't can't be all things to all people. It just can't work that way. We need some vision from our leaders as to what our economy will look like in the short and long term future. What are the possibilities, good & bad?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

"The Great Recession" only effects the middle and lower classes of our society.. all the while corporate welfare in terms of subsidies and insane tax breaks continue for the top 20%..

The divide is getting wider, and will continue to do so.. sooner or later everyone will wake up on both sides of the aisle and realize what this is about.. that a few in power are essentially making the decisions and these "puppet masters" are getting richer and richer.. sometimes I think that the whole Tea Party Movement is orchestrated by the powerful, so that all our energies can be wasted fighting amongst ourselves.. while missing the obvious..

When you drive around this country, it becomes more and more obvious.. while most of us are treading water or near to drowning, those at the top are living large and living very well..

Wall Street Profits have increased 700%+, while home values have declined by 35%.. and now there are more tax cuts for the well to do proposed.. all the while the tax rates for the highest income people are at their all time lowest and middle income taxes have increased.

I am not an economist, but do not need to be one to know which way the wind blows... it will never change in Congress where 1 in 2 are millionaires, and every time they vote against an equitable solution it is an obvious conflict of interest.

3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

Here is an excellent example of how the corporatists are trying to turn this into a third world country and perpetuating the great divide.. Ikea now has a plant in Danville, Va..

The hourly pay for an Ikea worker in Sweden in $19.00 per/hour and in Va. $8.00 per/hour

A Swedish Ikea worker gets 5 weeks of vacation. In the US a Ikea worker gets 4 days off of his or her choice, and another 8 days off at the discretion of the company.

Ikea made a 2.2 Billion Profit in 2009 and a 7% increase in sales during the same period..

Now the folks in Va. want to organize, can you blame them?? But remember Unions bad, the corporatists are good:confused::confused::confused:

4. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +498 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

Link?

Are the Swedish workers doing the same type of work? Very little furniture is manufactured in Sweden, but that is where the headquarters are located. Are those office workers? If so, apple, meet orange.

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +776 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +776 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

It's cheaper for them to have it made here since we don't protect our workers as well as they do. In other words, they consider us a "developing country."

Although IKEA household products and furniture are designed in Sweden, they are largely manufactured in developing countries to keep costs down. With suppliers in 50 countries, roughly 2/3 of purchasing is from Europe with about 1/3 from Asia. A small amount of products are produced in North America. Comparatively little production actually takes place in Sweden, though it still remains the fourth-largest supplier country (behind China, Poland and Italy) China accounts for about 2.5 times as much supply as Sweden. For most of its products, the final assembly is performed by the end-user (consumer).

IKEA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +776 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I can't find the average IKEA factory worker's salary in Sweden. I did find an article which states that the average blue collar worker in Sweden earns between 19,600SEK and 22500SEK per month. If you convert that to US dollars it averages to $31,000 to $35,000.00 per month which would put an hourly wage somewhere roughly between $18 and $20.00 for a 40 hour work week.

So no, the comparison isn't apples and oranges - it's apples and apples.

LO - Landsorganisationen i Sverige - Initiatives in favour of equality and low-wage groups have resulted in higher salaries

Calculator for Swedish Krona (SEK) Currency Exchange Rate Conversion

8. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +498 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

$8.00 per hour is the rate in the packing department. What is the rate in other departments? Are all 335 people who want to form a union in the packing department?

Thanks to Mrs.P, I was able to find the original article.

ThinkProgress Owned By The World?s Largest ‘Charity’ Organization To Dodge Taxes, IKEA Thwarts Union Organizing

The $8/hour is applied to all workers (without explanation) and the $19/hour for Swedish workers is supplied without attribution.

Sorry. Not good enough.

Still, with a quickly declining currency I would expect to see more companies moving work to the U.S., so the whole "Sweden looks at the U.S. like we look at Mexico" thing is probably on the mark.

The spectacle of more jobs is frightening, though.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  9. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +425 / 8 / -4

What would those 335 people be doing without the plant?

10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

For all of you lovers of corporate America.. here is more on the Ikea situation.

Guess these 335 people are lucky to be earning $16.6 K per year, considering the poverty level for a family of 3 is $18,530... which is a segway to the original thread here, with this income this family would be probably be eligible for a variety of assistance.. food stamps, subsidized housing etc.

Labor Trouble In ‘Lack-land’ - Eco-nomics - Stories from the Mother Nature Network - Forbes

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +553 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

You're right...this IS what our public corporate model does to employees. Which is why I don't support the existence of public corporations or publically traded stocks.

personally, I'd love for all companies to be private enterprises and close down Wall Street...but I wouldn't get much support from the left or the right on that one.

12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,991 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Okay ... I'll play ...

If every $8/hr worker here made $19/hr do you think the prices you pay for goods would stay the same? There economic discussions where people cherry pick a variable are inane ... the economy just doesn't work that way.

I remember some years back where it was common to hear people say I'm going to live in California ... there are better paying jobs there than RI. there were - but apartments were renting at double the price, utility bills were higher, as was food and clothing. We could double everyone's pay tomorrow and the cost of goods would double also -

We would then be right back where we started.

But writing the post made you feel better I suppose - fine but it's not reality.

Public sector unions have strangled local cities and towns now - the workers get paid better and the citizens all pay higher taxes - is that a move forward - backwards - or a push?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,126 / 3 / -10

Aunt Zucchini Gets Food Stamps She's An Illegal Alien

14. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +498 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

This whole story is a like a bad game of telephone. From the LA Times article that the Forbes article cites:

Ikea: Workers' complaints surround Ikea's U.S. factory - latimes.com

Someone is going to have to prove that all workers in the plant make the same wage as an employee starting in a low-skill position in the packing department before I buy the idea that everyone makes $8 an hour.

15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

This thread is about the number of people receiving some form of government assistance, and if you pay a head of household $8.00 per hour this will be perpetuated..

In the case of IKEA they were making the same product overseas and shipping it on big boats and then driving it all over the country. One might assume that because there are no transportation costs involved that the profit margin would be greater in the US....

There is no advocacy for unions at all...

16. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,991 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Not exactly ... Latin Americans coming here have no problem living 8 or 10 to a house. We Americans like to have our own bedrooms ... 2.5 bathrooms and all the rest.

17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +553 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Darryl, I notice that when I agree with you, you don't reply. Why do you do that?

18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

So you are suggesting that we live 8 to 10 to a house???.. doubt very much that a person making $8.00 per/hour has a house with 2.5 bathrooms.

Why bring latin americans into this conversation?? Deflection??

19. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,991 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

We're spoiled Darryl ... that's why i brought them into it. A common theme i have heard from many of my Latin American friends who compare life in the old country vs life here. I grew up stuffed in an apartment ... i would do it again if need be but I have no problem admitting I am a now spoiled American. We complain about things others would consider a luxury.

I don't believe we have a right to a standard of living, or fair wages ... or anything. I believe we have the freedom to earn those things ... that's how i see it. I don't see my government as my answer and I feel too many do see it that way ... because we are a spoiled country.

20. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +553 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

We also need to STOP viewing our Government as an isolated entity. Our government is funded by you & I and all the other taxpayers. So if/when someone says they see "Government" as their answer, they are really saying, "I think the rest of you should help support me".