PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

1 game TV scouting report - Chase Coffman Mizzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ochmed Jones

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I taped the Mizzu - Illinios game and watched Coffman carefully. He is a big kid, the TV announcers said he was 6'7" and 245, but I think he is a couple of inches shorter and maybe a little lighter.

Mizzu plays in a funky spread offense, so it was difficult to scout him effectively, as I would have preferred to be on the sidelines.

I did notice that Coffman has NFL hands. He can pluck the ball with the best of them. He runs decent routes, although he floats at times and does round off routes quite a bit.

He absolutely can not block. Not a lick, he is a leaner and not even good at that. I also do not think he is as fast as advertised, he is maybe 4.7 range.

And lastly, he does not appear to have much courage in the physical game. (Maybe he is dinged up and I did not know it.) He had several opportunities to put his head down and barrell through guys for extra yards, instead he tried jumping over them or peeling off for the sidelines.

He reminds me of a taller version of a former Patriot Pro Bowl TE - Cook, from B-BP era, before Bill Parcells. I love Coffman's hands, but I just wish he was more nasty. Maybe if we take him, he can room with Mankins and some of Mankin's nastiness will rub off on Coffman.

I taped the Mizzu - Illinios game and watched Coffman carefully. He is a big kid, the TV announcers said he was 6'7" and 245, but I think he is a couple of inches shorter and maybe a little lighter.

Mizzu plays in a funky spread offense, so it was difficult to scout him effectively, as I would have preferred to be on the sidelines.

I did notice that Coffman has NFL hands. He can pluck the ball with the best of them. He runs decent routes, although he floats at times and does round off routes quite a bit.

He absolutely can not block. Not a lick, he is a leaner and not even good at that. I also do not think he is as fast as advertised, he is maybe 4.7 range.

And lastly, he does not appear to have much courage in the physical game. (Maybe he is dinged up and I did not know it.) He had several opportunities to put his head down and barrell through guys for extra yards, instead he tried jumping over them or peeling off for the sidelines.

He reminds me of a taller version of a former Patriot Pro Bowl TE - Cook, from B-BP era, before Bill Parcells. I love Coffman's hands, but I just wish he was more nasty. Maybe if we take him, he can room with Mankins and some of Mankin's nastiness will rub off on Coffman.

Bump. Was Google-ing Coffman and this came up. Good stuff.

Coffman was coming off off-season surgery...so the question is, has Ochmed rewatched him since this game and seen any improvement in his routes, toughness, mentality, and blocking? (I'm assuming speed is phucked.)

I have watched several more Mizzu games since then and I am convinced that he can help us a ton next season, if only as a red zone receiver, until he learns to block.

His hands are NFL ready, his route running is decent enough for the NFL and his ability to use his size to shield or wall off defenders is NFL ready.

I think he will run a 4.7 in the combine, which is slower than Watson's time, but I think he'll be a much more productive pro once he learns to block, provided he has the courage for the job.

Coffman in the second round is a no brainer in my opinion.

I think he will run a 4.7 in the combine, which is slower than Watson's time, but I think he'll be a much more productive pro once he learns to block, provided he has the courage for the job.

Having never played the game, perhaps you or others on here could tell me - is blocking akin to defense in basketball, as in, if you have a certain level of the physical attributes needed, its largely a matter of desire and work ethic.

Coffman is huge, looks like he has decent athleticism especially for his size, is that alone + a good work ethic and a nastiness enough to turn him into a good blocker at TE?

Was Graham, for instance, already a noted nasty blocker coming out of Colorado?

Last edited:
Having never played the game, perhaps you or others on here could tell me - is blocking akin to defense in basketball, as in, if you have a certain level of the physical attributes needed, its largely a matter of desire and work ethic.

Coffman is huge, looks like he has decent athleticism especially for his size, is that alone + a good work ethic and a nastiness enough to turn him into a good blocker at TE?

Was Graham, for instance, already a noted nasty blocker coming out of Colorado?

Graham was a great blocker and receiver in college. Probably the last true all around TE that the colleges have produced.

Blocking is about 1.) sound technique (teachable) and 2.) the courage(desire) to impose your will on an opponent (internal fire - not teachable). IF you have those two ingredients, the rest is gravy.

Last edited:
Good enough, he's on my board.

I have watched several more Mizzu games since then and I am convinced that he can help us a ton next season, if only as a red zone receiver, until he learns to block.

His hands are NFL ready, his route running is decent enough for the NFL and his ability to use his size to shield or wall off defenders is NFL ready.

Coffman in the second round is a no brainer in my opinion.

Compare and contrast to Beckum, if you would. He's only 225-ish, but I think he could help this team in the receiving department. Having a TE like Watson who is a mismatch is great, but if he can't catch the ball consistently, he's not worth much.

Last edited:
Compare and contrast to Beckum, if you would. He's only 225-ish, but I think he could help this team in the receiving department. Having a TE like Watson who is a mismatch is great, but if he can't catch the ball consistently, he's not worth much.

I think Beckum tore up his knee earlier this year, but from what I saw of Beckum last season, the biggest diffeence is that Beckum needs space to catch the ball while Coffman, with his huge size, can put defenders on his back and still make the catch.
I think Beckum runs faster, but is not as precise a route runner.
And finally neither of them could block my 96 year old granny. They would both be face up on the ground with wheelchair skid marks across their chest.

I think Beckum tore up his knee earlier this year, but from what I saw of Beckum last season, the biggest diffeence is that Beckum needs space to catch the ball while Coffman, with his huge size, can put defenders on his back and still make the catch.
I think Beckum runs faster, but is not as precise a route runner.
And finally neither of them could block my 96 year old granny. They would both be face up on the ground with wheelchair skid marks across their chest.
Grannies are tough blocks I'll admit. Technique is everything when you're trying to screen them away from the play.

Living in Missouri, I have seen many of Coffman's games... This guy has the best hands I've ever seen. I've seen him drop 2 passes in his career. His natural pass catching skills are amazing. Look him up on Youtube, you won't be disappointed.

ps: I will be watching Mizzou in person saturday night at Arrowhead.

Last edited:
Living in Missouri, I have seen many of Coffman's games... This guy has the best hands I've ever seen. I've seen him drop 2 passes in his career. His natural pass catching skills are amazing. Look him up on Youtube, you won't be disappointed.

ps: I will be watching Mizzou in person saturday night at Arrowhead.

What happened to Mizzu last week against Kansas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes