PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

1 game scouting report Puzlusny (Penn State)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ochmed Jones

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I think I spelled that wrong, oh well. Again he's a bit shorter than I thought. Maybe 6'1" or so. He looks a little too scrawny for me as well. If he's 230 lbs, like Penn State says, then he must be hiding rocks in his shoes or something.

He's playing the middle this year and he is not doing so well. He has a difficult time reading and reacting. It causes him to get to the correct spot late, which is not good. Don't know if he's thinking too much or if he truly lacks the instincts for the position.

People talk about the knee. From what I saw his straight line speed is impressive for a LB. However lateral cuts and change of direction, are still not 100% based on what he did last year.

Tackling - form is decent, results are not. This may be directly impacted by his getting there late. He looks to be scooping air instead of ball carrier.

Bottom line: Not the player he was last year. Not even close. If I was a GM, this guy would represent a true gamble for me. Are his problems physical (meaning the knee) or mental (meaning no instincts). If you think they are physical, then you take the gamble because once he's back to 100%, you get a great player. If you think they are mental, then you lay off unless you think he'd do better back on the outside in a pure 4-3 defense.

I need to check back on him later in the year and see if he's brought his game up about 5 levels.

Ochmed Jones said:
I think I spelled that wrong, oh well. Again he's a bit shorter than I thought. Maybe 6'1" or so. He looks a little too scrawny for me as well. If he's 230 lbs, like Penn State says, then he must be hiding rocks in his shoes or something.

He's playing the middle this year and he is not doing so well. He has a difficult time reading and reacting. It causes him to get to the correct spot late, which is not good. Don't know if he's thinking too much or if he truly lacks the instincts for the position.

People talk about the knee. From what I saw his straight line speed is impressive for a LB. However lateral cuts and change of direction, are still not 100% based on what he did last year.

Tackling - form is decent, results are not. This may be directly impacted by his getting there late. He looks to be scooping air instead of ball carrier.

Bottom line: Not the player he was last year. Not even close. If I was a GM, this guy would represent a true gamble for me. Are his problems physical (meaning the knee) or mental (meaning no instincts). If you think they are physical, then you take the gamble because once he's back to 100%, you get a great player. If you think they are mental, then you lay off unless you think he'd do better back on the outside in a pure 4-3 defense.

I need to check back on him later in the year and see if he's brought his game up about 5 levels.

Fair assessment....I thought every other PSU LB played better than he did in the 2 games I've viewed.

Yeah. I agree. In two games I've seen, something has clearly been missing: productivity.

I still love his attitude, dedication, leadership... but I wonder if that injury has gotten into his head in some way.

Yea, I like Connor better this year, but he is a meathead. I had math class with him, and I'm pretty sure he either failed it or almost failed it. He is not intelligent (evidenced by his test scores and his conversation/question answering skill). Total meathead. I guess he's a good football player, but I can't see the Pats taking him.

chunkyponyTE82 said:
Yea, I like Connor better this year, but he is a meathead. I had math class with him, and I'm pretty sure he either failed it or almost failed it. He is not intelligent (evidenced by his test scores and his conversation/question answering skill). Total meathead. I guess he's a good football player, but I can't see the Pats taking him.

Connor is playing the position Poz played last year. OLB. He's
able to run free a little more and make some plays. I was surprised
at Poz' play the first couple weeks. Looks like he lost a 1/2 step.
Played much better yesterday. Albeit. Northwestern. Conner is
220lb tops. He needs to put weight on to play in the NFL. Not the
build for a 3-4 lb. I don't think Poz has the build for a 3-4 lb either.
Pozluszny will play in the NFL. Doesn't seem to fit our mo. Unless,
we switch to a 4-3. Then, he will come into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots