PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

1 Game Scouting Report FB Leonard (Rutgers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ochmed Jones

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I really liked what I saw of this kid. He is a decent lead blocker that makes good decisions on who to block. He keeps the pads low and sustained fairly well. Above average reciever. He ran decent routes and caught a couple of balls with his hands. It drives me nuts to see all the body catching in college football. Seems to have a good idea of how the passing game works.

A couple of things I was not that impressed with, speed and running the rock. While not a true burner, he does get where he needs to be in time. Can he do that at the next level where the speed is much faster. He ran a bit upright and lacked some wiggle, not that I would expect a FB to have a lot of wiggle, but some would be nice. On the plus side, he did get some yards after contact. Needs to get bigger and stronger. An offseason with Woicik should do the trick.

Bonus time. He caught my eye on ST a couple of times. I think this is very important.

Bottom line - his game is suited very nicely for the Patriots, as well as any of a dozen or so other teams as well. I see his game as having more upside, and him achieving a high level fairly quickly, more than either Pass or Evans has. Unless he gets injured or runs super slow, I would love to see him in a Pats uniform next season.

Ochmed Jones said:
I really liked what I saw of this kid. He is a decent lead blocker that makes good decisions on who to block. He keeps the pads low and sustained fairly well. Above average reciever. He ran decent routes and caught a couple of balls with his hands. It drives me nuts to see all the body catching in college football. Seems to have a good idea of how the passing game works.

A couple of things I was not that impressed with, speed and running the rock. While not a true burner, he does get where he needs to be in time. Can he do that at the next level where the speed is much faster. He ran a bit upright and lacked some wiggle, not that I would expect a FB to have a lot of wiggle, but some would be nice. On the plus side, he did get some yards after contact. Needs to get bigger and stronger. An offseason with Woicik should do the trick.

Bonus time. He caught my eye on ST a couple of times. I think this is very important.

Bottom line - his game is suited very nicely for the Patriots, as well as any of a dozen or so other teams as well. I see his game as having more upside, and him achieving a high level fairly quickly, more than either Pass or Evans has. Unless he gets injured or runs super slow, I would love to see him in a Pats uniform next season.

Couldn't agree more. I've seen him play (TV only) now in 6 games over 2 years and he's done positive things in a number of areas in every game. He doesn't run away from anyone but he does get to the hole and he does get open on pass plays. He's a tough match-up for mid-level college LB's on pass coverage.

How has Clark Harris looked so far?

dryheat44 said:
How has Clark Harris looked so far?

OK. He was pretty non-existent in the UNC game but had a nice grab against Illinois and a few more catches as well.

His size is attractive. Decent speed, solid hands.

Hard to judge his blocking on TV.

As they get into the Big East schedule the competition will improve so that will be a truer indication.

And in NY at 12 noon Rutgers is usually one of the 2 options for college football.

1 Game Scouting Report TE Clark Harris (Rutgers)

The thing that impressed me about Harris are his hands. I would rank his hands as above average at this point. He plucks the ball with ease. His route running was crisp and presice early in the game, but deteriorated as the game went on, he started rounding his routes off and stuff like that.
From what I saw, he doesn't really block at all, he leans on people and then pushes them. His blocking reminded me of how Garrett Mills blocked last year.

Another bonus time. Early in the game, he was the long snapper. However either he stopped long snapping or I failed to notice him in the second half.

He has nice size and I'm guessing decent speed. I saw him use speed to get separation from a safety in the 1st Q. Unfortunately I don't know how fast the safety is.

If I'm right on the speed, not hard to imagine him going in the early-mid second round. If he's a decent long snapper, he would have the versatility that BB craves, and could sneak into the end of the first round. Those hands are going to make him some serious money.

Re: 1 Game Scouting Report TE Clark Harris (Rutgers)

What's the word on Rice?

Box_O_Rocks said:
What's the word on Rice?

Rice is pretty good. It's 2 games (and weak opponents) into his sophomore year so I'm hesitant to overstate the 350 yds he's gained. I am going to watch how he handles the Big East schedule from here on out. He's a smallish back (fireplug type).

I'm not yet sure how to take him or the QB Teel.

I can't believe I'm actually excited by college football in the Northeast where schools have serious skill players outside of just BC.

This is from someone who used to roadtrip to NYC to catch a Columbia game every year during their infamous losing streak or go to Dartmouth or Holy Cross to hopefully catch a 'good' game and drink a vat of beer on a glorious autumn saturday. But it was never about noticing individual players.

Schiano's done a nice job keeping the NJ players at home. It's a credit that the school stayed patient with him. It looks like it could pay off this year.

Clonamery said:
Rice is pretty good. It's 2 games (and weak opponents) into his sophomore year so I'm hesitant to overstate the 350 yds he's gained. I am going to watch how he handles the Big East schedule from here on out. He's a smallish back (fireplug type).

I'm not yet sure how to take him or the QB Teel.

I can't believe I'm actually excited by college football in the Northeast where schools have serious skill players outside of just BC.

This is from someone who used to roadtrip to NYC to catch a Columbia game every year during their infamous losing streak or go to Dartmouth or Holy Cross to hopefully catch a 'good' game and drink a vat of beer on a glorious autumn saturday. But it was never about noticing individual players.

Schiano's done a nice job keeping the NJ players at home. It's a credit that the school stayed patient with him. It looks like it could pay off this year.
He impressed me against NC, I knew he wasn't a senior so evaluating him now is a bit premature, but heh, some kids stand out.

Rice really benefitted from some strong blocking up front. The Rutgers blocking scheme looks very straight forward and they executed very well in the game I saw.

Next year after Leonard and Harris are gone, he will become the focal point of the defense and then we'll really be able to gage him better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes