PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

1 area BB seems satisfied & what do %s say for competition:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Just took a look at the roster (bspn version) and it jumped out at me that this is probably the first time I can ever remember that BB has NO camp competition lined up for the 3 core ST positions (P, K, LS*). Then while looking at % fills of positions, it seemed to give an indication of BB's focus.

Considering the depth [camp competition] he has on roster at every other position compared to mid-2013 active roster:
QB= 3 (+50% over 2013 roster [2])
RB = 10 (+100% [5])
WR = 12 (+71% [7] [slater counted here]
TE = 4 (+33% [3])
OL = 17 (+112% [8] )
DE/DT/DL = 15 (+88% [8] )
LB = 13 (+117% [6])
CB/DB = 10 (+100% [5])
S = 7 (+40% [5]) [Ebner counted here]
------------------------------------
This seems to imply to me that he is comfortable here with STs and/or at this point is more worried about other positions and really wants the camp competiton to push some guys in those other areas (not so worried about P/K).
*I know he had a couple guys in who can LS at one point -- so that is maybe somewhat less comfortable.

It seems a little counter-trend for BB to not at least bring in some guys just to have a name and phone number for the shadow roster in case someone gets hurt. But he has the 90-man roster pretty much full; so not sure when he would be able to do that for these spots.
-------------------------------

Judging just by the %s: it appears that BBs 'areas of focus' for camp competition are: OL, RB, LB.
OL and LB ok, makes sense to me.
RB being a focus area, and TE not, is (to me) a small surprise.

maybe this is just a function of some areas where he threw quantity over quality as the solution method; but it just seems like the %#s being so different, that it does tend to indicate where he is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes