PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

1,327 Yards.. Gronk stands above and alone (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gronk Looking for a tight end record today

Gronk got the record, with the Pats throwing with 1:29 left in a blowout instead of kneeling 3 times. I was surprised Winslow had the record previously, would've guessed it would be Gates or Gonzalez.

Was so happy to see that pass from Hoyer. Gronk deserves the record. He's the best. Btw how clueless was that broadcast team or is it more a question of the Patriot PR team at Gillette doing a poor job of keeping these out of town broadcasters up to speed?? It was obvious they didn't know Gronk was close to that record. Someone at Gillette isn't doing their PR job.

BTW, per Reiss, BB specifically called for that play to give GRONK the chance to break the record.

https://twitter.com/#!/MikeReiss/status/153589499438448640

Shades of BJGE's 1000 yards. For all his hardass reputation, BB is always sensitive to what milestones like that mean to players (and in this case, to NFL history).

EDIT: And in this case, it must mean he was having somebody keep tabs on Graham's numbers!

Last edited:

Shades of BJGE's 1000 yards. For all his hardass reputation, BB is always sensitive to what milestones like that mean to players (and in this case, to NFL history).

Actually, I think there was another reason he did it:

Welker ended up losing his yardage lead to Megatron. :(

I disagree 100%

Feel free but that would mean, among other things that you think we ran Urban Meyers offense in 2007, created a new offense this year that only tricked people because they didn't realize we would throw to the TE, that Gronk has peaked and that other teams come up to the line and switch there LBs against us to make sure the good one is on Hernanndez and the bad coverage LB is the guy covering Gronk.
Are you sure those are things you agree with? If so, thank you for contributing your opinion.

1,327 Yards.. Gronk stands above and alone

BB does not care about individual records, only what is best for the team :D:D:D:D:D:D

Gronkowski sets tight end yardage mark - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

With the Patriots leading the Buffalo Bills, 49-21, New England got the ball with 1:30 remaining in the game and backup quarterback Brian Hoyer behind center. Rather than taking a knee, Hoyer hit Gronkowski up the left sideline for a 22-yard gain that pushed Gronkowski's season yardage total to 1,327. Graham's total stood at 1,310 as the Saints' game against the Carolina Panthers ended just moments earlier.

After Gronkowski's catch in front of the New England bench, Patriots players and coach Bill Belichick erupted in applause. Hoyer then took a knee three times to run out the clock

Belichick wanted to give Gronk chance - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Belichick on the decision to throw to him on the final drive, up 49-21: "That last play, I had [offensive coordinator] Billy [O'Brien] call that because I wasn't sure exactly where he was and I thought he deserved a chance to go up and try to make another play. He's had a great year, he's worked hard, and I thought he deserved that."

Gronkowski on Belichick giving him that chance: "It's unbelievable. It's surreal that they even let me get that opportunity

Last edited:
Gronk Happy!
Gronk not eat BB's kids puppy now!

The greatest season ever by a TE. If Gronk can have 70% of this year every year, he is a surefire lock for the Hall of Fame.

Gronkamania runs wild thorugh the NFL.

Last edited:
The next skill for the Gronk to master; instigating contact with defensive backs and linebackers whilst throwing your arms up in the air drawing penalties for uncatchable balls otherwise known as The Calvin Johnson.

BTW, per Reiss, BB specifically called for that play to give GRONK the chance to break the record.

https://twitter.com/#!/MikeReiss/status/153589499438448640

BTW, Kudos for Hoyer on that play. Personally, I called that the Pats would try to get Gronk the record, but he looked to the other side of the field so long that I figured Gronk was on that side of the field. I was surprised that Gronk was at the othe side of the field.

Can someone youtube the last catch and the bench's reaction? I was at the game and couldn't really tell what was going on as it happened.

EDIT: And in this case, it must mean he was having somebody keep tabs on Graham's numbers!

Yeah it was pretty funny. SP heard Gronk passed Graham, so he sent him back in, then BB heard Jimmy passed Gronk and sent him back in,lol

It was going on all day :) Kind of funny when you have 2 offenses that are good enough to play with records,lol. Hats off the Gronk, he deserves it.

Grahams catch
http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d82598902/WK-17-Can-t-Miss-Play-Graham-s-

Gronks catch, I think Patjew
http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d8259901e/Gronkowski-17-yard-TD

Last edited:
As a saints fan, I came looking for this thread to get a Pats fan perspective of this record.

I want start by saying congrats to Mr. Gronkowski on his record. I enjoyed watching 2 back up qbs throw to stud tight ends so they could compete for the record. I don't mind that Gronk got the record because the saints were doing the same with Chase Daniel threw to Jimmy Graham to give him the lead. I think these 2 are going to be competing for years to come, barring injury, and that Gronk's record will not stand in the end. Who breaks it will be left to be seen.

My only wonder is, will you see the talking heads question the fact that the patriots padded their stats for the record for Gronk's record. The only reason I say this is because last week, some gave Brees and the Saints crap for running up the score and padding stats so he could break the record on national tv.

The Patriots are a more popular team nationally then the Saints and usually get more of a pass by the media because of Brady's and the Pat's proven history the last decade. I want to see the talking heads complain about the Pats not kneeling on the ball and going for Gronk's record. I say this, not because the Pats did what they did, but because of what the talking heads complained about Saints the week before.

I know this is all mute in reality, because we all know that the regular season is over and Gronk won the record fair and square. I really do hope the Pats make the Super Bowl and the Saints make it also. It will make for one hell of an exciting Super Bowl. I have always respected Patriots fans because I know before the year 2000 you guys suffered as much as any Saints fan has. I have tried to keep my post respectful and hope that you all agree. If you want to come over to the Saints forum and have civilized discussions, I come from www.saintsreport.com I hope to see you there.

Good Luck in the Playoffs

Eric

Last edited:
As a saints fan, I came looking for this thread to get a Pats fan perspective of this record.

I want start by saying congrats to Mr. Gronkowski on his record. I enjoyed watching 2 back up qbs throw to stud tight ends so they could compete for the record. I don't mind that Gronk got the record because the saints were doing the same with Chase Daniel threw to Jimmy Graham to give him the lead. I think these 2 are going to be competing for years to come, barring injury, and that Gronk's record will not stand in the end. Who breaks it will be left to be seen.

My only wonder is, will you see the talking heads question the fact that the patriots padded their stats for the record for Gronk's record. The only reason I say this is because last week, some gave Brees and the Saints crap for running up the score and padding stats so he could break the record on national tv.

The Patriots are a more popular team nationally then the Saints and usually get more of a pass by the media because of Brady's and the Pat's proven history the last decade. I want to see the talking heads complain about the Pats not kneeling on the ball and going for Gronk's record. I say this, not because the Pats did what they did, but because of what the talking heads complained about Saints the week before.

I know this is all mute in reality, because we all know that the regular season is over and Gronk won the record fair and square. I really do hope the Pats make the Super Bowl and the Saints make it also. It will make for one hell of an exciting Super Bowl. I have always respected Patriots fans because I know before the year 2000 you guys suffered as much as any Saints fan has. I have tried to keep my post respectful and hope that you all agree. If you want to come over to the Saints forum and have civilized discussions, I come from Welcome To SaintsReport.com Est. 1997 - SaintsReport.com I hope to see you there.

Good Luck in the Playoffs

Eric

first its "I know this is all MOOT..." Not being a ****...just trying to save you some weird looks when you say it in real life.

Also, there is no way the Patriots get more national love than the Saints. The Pats were crucified during the 07 season for running it up. locally and nationally. The saints got barely a murmur last week.

The Patriots ... usually get more of a pass by the media because of Brady's and the Pat's proven history the last decade.

From a Pats fan's perspective ... good one. (And welcome!) I don't think many here would say the Pats get a pass on this sort of thing. I'm probably not the only here who thinks that, if the Pats so obviously went for the record the way the Saints/Brees did on MNF, they would have been lambasted. (I also think there wasn't that much backlash against the Saints in that case; just a stupid column by Prisco that had some anonymous Falcons' quotes so got repeated a few times.)

Going for the TE record: Yeah, I'd imagine it will be mentioned. But it's a bit of an under-the-radar stat. Heck, the announcers were clueless about it. (They were just plain clueless; did they even mention when Brady passed Marino? No longer the record, I understand; but with all the jabbering they do, maybe worth a mention.)

A Pats-NO Super Bowl would be unreal. Brees is scary accurate. There's another thread on here where one of our better posters says Fitzgerald threw some perfect passes yesterday and you can't defend a perfect pass; Brees looks like he's that accurate all the time. Pats D would need to be in tip top form.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
first its "I know this is all MOOT..." Not being a ****...just trying to save you some weird looks when you say it in real life.

Also, there is no way the Patriots get more national love than the Saints. The Pats were crucified during the 07 season for running it up. locally and nationally. The saints got barely a murmur last week.

Thanks, I remember the media complaining about the Pats running up the score. I thought it was great how the pats came out and kicked the crap out of everybody. If someone is going to talk smack about you, go out and prove them wrong on the field.

This week, sean payton, at the end of the game, took a knee deep in the panthers territory at the end of the game instead of running the ball. I think he was being a smart butt.

eric

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill