PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

06 Draft Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapatsfan

On the Roster
Reaction score
Despite all the talk about winning/losing the Miami game in reference to playing Jax or Pitt, the combination of our loss, with other teams wins and losses was very profitable in terms of 06 Draft Order. Assuming we don't make it back to the SB again (I know, bad assumption), we will draft 21st. If we had won, we would draft 28th. Too bad Dallas and SD didn't win!

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/draft/update

Seattle had the easiest strength of schedule this year. Indy had the third easiest strength of schedule.

vapatsfan said:
Despite all the talk about winning/losing the Miami game in reference to playing Jax or Pitt, the combination of our loss, with other teams wins and losses was very profitable in terms of 06 Draft Order. Assuming we don't make it back to the SB again (I know, bad assumption), we will draft 21st. If we had won, we would draft 28th. Too bad Dallas and SD didn't win!

According to another article that I just read they had us at #22. It won't make any difference because we will be #32 anyway.

PATSNUTme said:
According to another article that I just read they had us at #22. It won't make any difference because we will be #32 anyway.
I think we'll only be #22 if we advance further than Washington in the playoffs.

Regardless, I am very happy that we'll be this high in the draft if the unfortunate event of us not getting to the Super Bowl occurs. And despite what one person thinks, based on a similar thread I started about this yesterday, it is OK to consider draft position now even though we hope to be drafting #32.

vapatsfan said:
Assuming we don't make it back to the SB again (I know, bad assumption), we will draft 21st.

Incorrect!

The Pats will draft either 22nd or 23rd, depending on whether or not we go further than the Redskins in the postseason. (23rd if we do go further than them). I don't know what happens if we and Washington exit at the same time. The one exception is we'll be 31 or 32 if we make the Super Bowl.

shakadave said:
Incorrect!

The Pats will draft either 22nd or 23rd, depending on whether or not we go further than the Redskins in the postseason. (23rd if we do go further than them). I don't know what happens if we and Washington exit at the same time. The one exception is we'll be 31 or 32 if we make the Super Bowl.
23rd is impossible, Carolina has 23rd at 11-5.

KC, us, and Washington are in 20th through 22nd place tied at 10-6. KC has 20th pick locked up since they missed the playoffs. Due to strength of schedule we are ahead of Washington. If we go further than Washington in the playoffs we drop back to 22nd pick, but if we and Washington exit at the same time then we stay at 21.

Thats great, 21,22,23, depending on playoff outcome. I still say we trade #32 for a second and third rounder. But if the impossible happens( :eek: )and we dont make the SB, who do we get with the pick? I say we take the best available D player from among DE's LB's and safeties....

The best part of the Baltimore pick is what we gave up :

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/news/story?id=2041490

We traded #64 (last pick of round 2) for :

The pick we used on Ellis Hobbs.
Baltimore's #3 this year.
Baltimore's #6 last year.

We then trade that #6 and our #7 for :

The pick we used on Cassel.
Oakland's #5 this year.

So, we traded the #64 pick and our #7 for :

Ellis Hobbs
Matt Cassel
Baltimore's #3 this year.
Oakland's #5 this year.

Other than waiting a year (which does have value), that's basically even with the draft picks only (moving down 11 spots from #64 to Baltimore's #3 this year but moving up from a low #7 to a high #5). And this year's draft being way stronger than last year's kind of balances out the "wait a year for the player" value.

And, oh by the way, we got Hobbs and Cassel also. Thanks.

Last edited:
Here's the league's official draft order, we are #21 unless we head off to SB 40 :D

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9137410

Without sounding like I have low expecations for the playoffs, I am psyched that we ended up at #21 if we don't get to the SB. We were at #26 heading into last week.

BelichickFan said:
Other than waiting a year (which does have value), that's basically even with the draft picks only (moving down 11 spots from #64 to Baltimore's #3 this year but moving up from a low #7 to a high #5). And this year's draft being way stronger than last year's kind of balances out the "wait a year for the player" value.
I realize the above probably looks a little silly based on the "draft pick a year from now is devalued a round" thing. Personally I think that's over devaluing it, which is why I love trading a pick this year for a round higher pick next year plus a little something this year. But looking at the overall trade in another way, I think we would all be happy now if we had taken Hobbs at #64 and Cassel with our #7. Which makes the bonus picks from Baltimore and Oakland free.

BelichickFan said:
Here's the league's official draft order, we are #21 unless we head off to SB 40 :D
That's not an accurate representation of what the article says. We could go to #22 without being in the Super Bowl, for the reasons discussed earlier.

alamo said:
That's not an accurate representation of what the article says. We could go to #22 without being in the Super Bowl, for the reasons discussed earlier.
That is true but we're at #21 or #22 and no lower unless we make it to the SB.

From the "Ourlads"site:

"Once the first round sequence has been established, in subsequent rounds teams rotate within their won-loss grouping with the team that picked earliest in the previous round moving to the last position of the group while others move up."

Does this mean that Baltimore's #3 pick that we have will be the 11th pick in the third round? If I'm reading this right the first round order of the 6-10 teams is:
11 St. Louis
12 Cleveland
13 Baltimore
14 Philadelphia

Then following the above formula the second round would be
11 Cleveland
12 Baltimore
13 Philadephia
14 St. Louis

Making the third round look like this:
11 New England (from Baltimore)
12 Philadelphia
13 St. Louis
14 Cleveland

If this is the case, we need to root for Oakland to lose the coin flip with San Francisco, that would make Oakland first round pick the 7th overall pick (instead of the 6th), but if you follow the rule above,it would mean that there 5th rd pick (which the Pats own) would be the 3rd pick in the fifth round, as opposed to the 7th pick if they win the coin flip.

God I need a life, when is this coin flip? Heads, Heads

FreeTedWilliams said:
Does this mean that Baltimore's #3 pick that we have will be the 11th pick in the third round?
Yes, that's correct.

FreeTedWilliams said:
If this is the case, we need to root for Oakland to lose the coin flip with San Francisco
They already did the coin flip and Oakland won it.

FreeTedWilliams said:
Does this mean that Baltimore's #3 pick that we have will be the 11th pick in the third round?
Yes, and all three of our picks acquired via trade were listed in this thread yesterday taking this rotation into account.

The one thing which we don't know for certain is what pick we have to give up to Cleveland for Andre Davis -- it's supposed to be a fifth but noone has ever said definitively whether it's our fifth or Oakland's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back