Welcome to PatsFans.com

“None N*****(word)”

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Kid~Brady, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Wow, Seriously?

Waitress gets "None Nigger" as Tip at Red Lobster, Then Suspended for Posting on Facebook - The Free Patriot

[​IMG]

2. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,879 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

I used to work as a server. I can't tell you how many times I was stiffed by black people in particular. $80-$90-$100 tabs for parties to come and eat and I would be left with no tip. Not only no tip, but an acknowledgement of it by putting $0.00 in the tip section. It's very widely known in the restaurant business, unfortunately, that a large portion of black people don't tip. Servers openly complain in the back of the house when they sit in your area. So yeah, I'll agree that it sucks no matter who it happens to. The idiot couple sitting there should have requested a different waitress if they didn't want to be served by her.

3. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I have never heard that black people do not tip and I've been in the business my entire life. I have heard and seen that Canadians do not tip. Then again, I would not make a blanket statement on Canadians based on my limited references.

Did any of these black patrons write "honkey" on the receipt?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Customer sounds like a dirtbag, businesses don't want their negatives on facebook espicaly trashing customer publicly even when said customers are dirtbags.

5. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,879 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

I was in it for most of my life and it was pretty well known in the business. I've had it happen to me a ton while delivering pizzas in college too (started there, transitioned to being a server). And I didn't make a blanket statement. That would require using the word "all". What I did say was "a large portion", because that's been my experience. Further, it's also a really well known stereotype, so I have a hard time believing that my post is the first that you've heard of it. If it is, then either your area is bucking the trend, or you're probably lying about "working in the business your entire life".

Here's just one of several hundred articles I found about it on Google. I chose this one because it takes a pro-African American slant on why they are thought of to be such bad tippers...

http://oldschool1003.com/2440365/why-black-people-dont-tip/

6. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,879 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

7. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Kontra - I worked my college years as a pizza cook at Bertuccis in "uber liberal, open minded, PC crazy, hippyville" Amherst MA and the servers I worked with all said the same things you are. (shockingly even the minority servers which included black, arab and hispanic servers)

However, what you need to realize is that these are nothing more than "anecdotes" and you are a racist for sharing that POV........

As for the bubba's in the OP....stay classy.

Italics used to indicate sarcasm.

8. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Lets summarize:
    A racist writes a slur on a receipt to a black waitress (the story actually has little to do with the non-payment of the tip). Your response is a "oh yea, a large......", seriously?

This is blatant racism and it is detestable. Your response is transparent.

9. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,879 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

Actually, in my response, I condemned the couple, called them idiots, and said they should have requested a different server. You're not faring too well in this one in an effort to find racism under every rock and, not surprisingly, you're struggling. The now borderline aggressive tone of your response points that out. Nothing about any of my posts is even remotely racist, unless you're willing to say the same thing about Ebony Magazine. On that note, it's probably best if you just bow out at this point.

10. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,879 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

I'm glad you qualified that last part. Unfortunately for scout, he took the bait and walked right into a haymaker.

11. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

It was my sarcastic attempt to make fun of posters here (PoFo) who think personal experience is some how wrong to add to the discussions we have.

Personal Experience = Bad
    Stories written for [r-word banned in MA] and sheep = Goooooooooooooood

12. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Not trying to be picky here but can we amend the title of this thread to change some of the letters in the offending word to astericks or at least call the "N word"? We don't need to have it stare us in the face when we open the thread...

13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Let me start by saying that those words are reprehensible. Seriously, is it wrong to hope that person gets hit by a bus on the way home? Scumbags to the extreme.

I'll echo these posts in general. It's common "fact" in the business (of which I used to work), that black people tend to be bad tippers. Bartenders would make jokes about needing quarter rolls when they worked a hip-hop, or black oriented night, cuz generally they'd be left with the coins as tips. On the waiters end, I found Europeans to be some of the biggest violators of the tipping code. I think most of that stemmed from the fact that in most European countries, you don't tip. The servers are paid by the establishment, and the bill reflects that. I know when I go to Italy I still feel weird about not leaving a tip, and mostly still do, which my friends think is crazy. Oh well.

It's not racist. It's racial. The context isn't aimed to put down anyone. It's simply a general observation about a group of people. The bad is if people assume all blacks, whites, greens, etc. are a certain way. Not being a good tipper doesn't mean you're an evil, or terrible person. It just means you're a little more stingy with your money. Not leaving a tip is a different story.

14. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

You will have to explain to me what was the "bait"? I could care less about Ebony magazine or black references, the post is about a racist patron. I detest racism and that was the basis for the thread. I do not think you will understand this, but here goes. Once you start making references to your personal experiences of not getting tipped by black patrons or articles printed in black magazines that context of the original story is skewed to your perception.

15. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Not leaving a tip can mean you had terrible service, though, I would rather make a statement with a few pennies. Going to the task of writing a slur to a black person is ignorant. This is not about tipping. It is not about the characteristics of certain cultures. I'm am pretty confident, given enough time, "someone" will post about rap groups using the "n" word.

16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

I worked as a bartender for a number of years back in the 70s. I never noticed a difference in how blacks tipped me verses how whites tipped me.

Silly me, as a person providing a service, I always figured my tips were a direct result of my service and not a result of the customer's race or my own.

17. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,067 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

All I know is my wife used to say when she was a waitress when the people at the table all order water you hold your breathe hoping for some semblance of a tip. But she never said getting a tip was race based ... more wealth based than race based she said. She was a waitress at a Chinese restaurant and they had no tipping policy. One time a party of 8 left her $1 tip ... she lost it a bit ... she found them in the parking lot and returned the $1 telling them someone must have forgotten it on the table.

There was a restaurant in the news recently ... he has a no tipping policy and he pays his servers more and charges a bit more for the food ... customers love he says. IRS is not happy about it ... could be against the law.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  18. everlong

everlong Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +165 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

Sugar Ray Leonard left a really crappy tip to a waitress at a restaurant I worked at in high school. Conversely Marvin Hagler was an excellent tipper and came in quite a bit.

Funny Hagler story....A friend of mine and I were at a bar in Boston and Hagler was hitting on these two girls in their early 20's and they had no clue who he was. So we went over and asked if they knew and told them and they still didn't have a clue so we had to explain that he was the champ. He laughed it all off in good spirits and sent drinks over to the four of us who were hitting it off. We gave him the salute with our glasses. Total class act.

I've heard rich people don't tip, poor people don't tip, Jewish people don't tip, Hindu's don't tip...........people are people and in any sub-sect it's true and false.

19. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,879 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

Of course you could. You're race baiting and the source along with the story is going against whatever pithy point you're trying to make. The logical next step for someone that has an ax to grind, such as you, is to dismiss the source. Like I said, you walked right into a haymaker and now you're just digging yourself a deeper hole.

Either you're trying to grind an ax or you have a reading comprehension problem. I laid out my experience with bad tippers and said I could empathize in my first post before condemning the people that the story revolves around.

Not really. I intentionally went out of the way to note black people talking about other black people when it comes to tipping. It's not like I got it from the NRA's website. Again, I have a very hard time believing that you've spent most of your life in the restaurant business if this is the first time you're hearing it. I apologize that it hurts your delicate ears, but there have been multiple people that have noted the difference in tipping in this thread.

20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

I dunno....it looks like 3 against 3 to me.

You, Drew and RW say you've heard or experienced it....me, Icy and Scout say we haven't.

I'd lay off the "multiple" claim until some more people weigh in if I were you.