Welcome to PatsFans.com

‘Dead’ patient comes around as organs are being removed

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Imagine this happening to you? I wonder how the doctors in question could ever be comfortable determining, or working, on a "dead" person. Wait till they tell this lucky sap that he was about to carved up like a Gyro.

World news

‘Dead’ patient comes around as organs are being removed

Thursday, June 12, 2008

France may have to reconsider its medical definition of death after a heart-attack victim came alive in the operating theatre as doctors were about to remove his organs for transplant.

The patient, whose identity has not been revealed, recovered after a long period in intensive care and is now able to walk and talk.

The 45-year-old man owes his life to the fact that surgeons authorised to remove organs for transplant operations were not immediately available. Under experimental rules adopted in France last year, to make more organ transplants possible, the man had already reached the point where he could be officially regarded as dead. Similar rules – allowing the removal of organs when a patient's heart has stopped and fails to respond to prolonged massage – already apply in several other European countries, including Britain.

The 45-year-old at the centre of the controversy collapsed close to the La Pitié-Salpêtriere hospital. Efforts were made to revive him at the scene, and more elaborate procedures continued at the hospital for 90 minutes. As surgeons were preparing to remove his vital organs, the man began to breathe unaided. His pupils moved and he showed signs of pain. His heart started to beat again. After several weeks during which he was gravely ill, the man can now walk and talk. He has yet to be told that doctors were ready to remove his organs.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/article3794778.ece
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

I have it in my will and I have instructed all in my family,
    "DON'T LET ANY UNDERTAKER OR DOCTOR TOUCH MY BODY FOR TWO DAYS AFTER MY DEATH"
    (then I don't give a sh!t if they use me for dog food)

"WHERE'S HARRY"
    "HE DIED"
    "HE'LL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN"

:bricks:
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Hmmm.

My first thought is that organ donor dot on my drivers' license doesn't seem like such a good idea anymore.

My second thought is that without the ordan donor dot, under this scenario I could have been buried, or incinerated, alive.

:eek:
  4. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Wasn't there a Law and Order episode where the doctor took the heart/lung block out of a woman who was still alive...they finally got him at trial by showing that he'd ordered a morphine drip...for a "dead" woman.

I won't be an organ donor. Screw that--I don't want my important stuff going to people I might not have liked while I was alive.

;)
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I'm an organ donor. Got my card in my pocket. Hmm....
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

Nobody wants my organs, they're ancient, what guy in right mind would want a Penis that was being used at 2AM on Revere Beach in 1944-----:singing:
  7. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

You guys should definitely respond to a fluke case in FRANCE by changing your organ donor status. After all what are the odds up to that this will happen to you now? 1 in 500 million? I'm not risking that! These crazy doctors just want to kill us.

I'm not flying either, or visting foreign countries because I've heard a few stories if you know what I mean. And if my kid goes to school, he's going packing heat. I'm not risking him being yet another victim of a random school shooting that affects .0000000001% of the population:rolleyes:

What better way to sum up the irrational fear that makes righties such reactionaries than this thread.
  8. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What?

Except for Harry, everyone who responded is an organ donor and jokingly said "gee, maybe I should rethink this", oh and me, and I've never been one and wouldn't let something like this make up my mind for me pro or con.

What better way to sum up the blatant dishonesty that characterizes the lefties than your inaccurate response here.
  9. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Yeah, "jokingly." I'm the dishonest one.

And why aren't you an organ donor if I'm so dishonest?
  10. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

How did you not think BF and RW's responses were anything but humor?

And what does my organ donor status have to do with anything at all? I'm not a donor. I never have been. I could give a crap and a half about this bizarre story out of France.

I gave my reasons in my post. I don't like other people enough to want to help them out. I'm not even one of those people who'd give a kidney to a dying family member. I'm just an evil POS that way--sue me.

But at least I'm honest about it, and didn't use two people's responses to characterize an entire group of people, mr. political bigot.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Dude, please don't ever change. EVER!!!!!! :eat2:
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Dude, I don't think anyone in here was being serious about changing their donor status.
  13. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Well, that's one of the two "righties" heard from. Now if we can just get BF over here to verify he was kidding as well...I'd say we've got a grand slam goin' on.
  14. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

A) Umm okay.

B) Mr. Political bigot? like that "dishonesty of the left" response?

pretty bizarre stuff right there.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  15. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Ummm...what was it you said about the "righties" based on two people's joking posts? I simply turned your post around back at you.

Just admit you jumped a little quick, it's okay...I do it all the time. :D

Umm okay? That's all you have to say in response to me saying I'm an evil POS? You can't even muster a "well, you said it" or something?
    :singing:
  16. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

This was posted by a righty for a reason. Every joke has a cornel of truth. You yourself can't even articulate a rational reason as to why you aren't an organ donor. Or is it just a massive coincidence that all of the righties immediately jumped into respond to this?

Fluke stories like this are the number one reason I hear from people as to why they aren't an organ donor, and it's an irrational fear. I'm willing to bet that it's your real reason too despite your "I'm just an evil POS" non-answer." So no, I didn't jump anything.
  17. Keegs

Keegs Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I am an organ donor on my driver's license.
    After reading this interesting little story, i've altered the info a bit.

Now it says that i will only donate my organs to myself. This guarantees that i will live forever.
  18. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

How much you want to bet, Wildo?

I can offer proof in the form of signed affidavits from essentially everyone who knows me, from my parents on, because I've had the discussion with many people over the years, just to make sure my wishes are honored.

Simply because you can't accept my reason in no way renders that reason irrational.

And all of the righties? What, all 3 people who responded?
  19. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

No it's because you aren't an evil POS. Just a confused POS:D
  20. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I prefer evil...:(