Thanks for starting this thread. What a blessed relief from the media crush of the last few days
You topic reminds me of my own feelings about the extra point and that it should be radically changed, given that the success rate is now over 99%. It is without question the LEAST interesting play in an NFL game outside of the kneel down.
I would propose several changes to the extra point rule that would turn it into one of the most compelling, interesting and most talked about plays every game.
1. Eliminate the kick for the extra point.
2. Give the offense the following choices for their extra point.
a. They can run or pass the ball in from the half yard line for one point. I would imagine that the success rate would be about 85% on that. A number high enough to make it usually attainable yet with enough failures to make it interesting enough to watch
b. Put the ball on the 4 yard line and offer the opposition 2 points for the conversion. Even though I would imagine the success rate would be somewhere in the 42-47% rate, the fact that the one point conversion wouldn't be automatic anymore might make this option more appetizing.
3. Put the ball on the 10 yd line and offer 3 points for a successful try. This would add a lot of excitement if a team is down by 8 or 9 at the end of a game. Now with a chance to tie or win the game, the extra point now becomes the most important play of the game
4. The end result of all this would be a LOT more 2nd guessing by fans and "experts", and isn't THAT what's make the game more interesting for all of us. Rather than lowering the number of possible choices a HC makes during the game, we should be looking for ways to increase them. Here is one way.
5. Fiddle away anyway you want. Maybe you'd put the ball on the 3 yard line instead of the 4....or perhaps the 5. Maybe you'd give the offense 4 points for making the try from the 10.
I've been fiddling with the idea that if the offense doesn't get in from the half ydline, the defense gets the extra point. Or here's one. Put the ball on the 2 and have the try be for 2 points.....BUT, if they are stopped the defense gets one point.
This is all stuff that adds to the strategy and makes for lots of discussion after the game for fans, and ULTIMATELY makes a horrid play into a very interesting one.
Now isn't this a better discussion than what our 3rd string QB is wearing for socks.