10-31-2007, 10:33 PM
Join Date: Oct 2007
Re: Why am i supposed to believe that Tony Dungy is a good person?
Okay, I'll try to anwer why I think he is a good guy.
But I can't answer why you're SUPPOSE to believe he is a good guy. sorry.
1. He does various charities around Indianapolis. One being the All-Pro Dad.
2. He does council inmates.
3. I've read about how he puts his family before football. I'm guessing that many NFL coaches feel the the same, but I'm sure there are plenty that put football first, before even themselves.
4. I've been an Indy Colts fan since i was a kid. Since the days of Jack Trudeau. I haven't seen Colt's players in interviews give as much love and respect for their coach since maybe Ted Marchibroda(who I also think is a really good guy).
5. I do think Dungy's soft spokeness with his players is one quality that makes him a good guy. That doesn't mean I think coach's that yell are necessarily bad guys. I'm just saying that players probably don't like being yelled at so they may perceive a loud, tough coach as being a jerk. Though that might be exactly what the player needs. Mean, loud guys are some of the best coaches in the NFL. Sometimes being "nice" can make you a bad coach but a good guy none the less.
6. Dungy answers questions after the game whether the Colts win or lose. That's a quality I respect. Not all coaches and players do that. I believe it adds to him being a good guy.
7. He does plenty of interviews with local media, TV and radio. More than past coaches in this city.
Okay, there's just a few off the top of my head. Obviously, I don't know what Dungy is like behind closed doors. I can only judge from what I've seen in interviews and what other players/coaches say of him.
Couple things. There's a lot of talk about Dungy's religion in this thread. Honestly, I hardly ever hear Dungy talk about his religion in his interviews(locally or nationally). Usually he's kinda boring, saying "all the right things" about the next game or next team. I'm not saying he never says anything about his religion, but I've never felt that Dungy is always pushing his religion down my throat.