OK, I've thrown enough opinion around this forum that I feel obligated to post a mock. As I'm writing this I am planning on including commentary. We'll see how that goes.
First the juicy stuff:
*TRADE* Kansas City trades Jared Allen and pick #36 to the Minnesota Vikings for picks #17, #48, #83, and the Vikings 2009 1st Rounder
*TRADE* San Francisco trades pick #29 to the Baltimore Ravens for picks #39 and #100 (SF selects Quentin Groves/ DE /Auburn at #39)
*TRADE* Houston trades pick #18 to the Pittsburgh Steelers for picks #23 and #89
1. Miami Dolphins- Glenn Dorsey / DT / LSU
The Dolphins get the dominant 3-4 DE they need to anchor their defense for years to come.
2. St. Louis Rams- Jake Long / OT / Michigan
The Rams rebuild there OL with the stud LT and consensus top 5 pick.
3. Atlanta Falcons- Matt Ryan / QB / Boston College
With Dorsey off the board this decision is easy for Atlanta. They address their most glaring need and take the top rated QB.
4. Oakland Raiders- Darren McFadden / RB / Arkansas
Al Davis loves his physical freaks. This could just as easily be Vernon Gholston, However, I am going to go out on a limb and say Davis has DMC graded as the BPA and he sticks to his draft board.
5. Kansas City Chiefs- Sedrick Ellis / DT / USC
Ellis is a force at DT and the Chiefs take him to begin rebuilding their defensive line.
6. New York Jets- Vernon Gholston / DE / Ohio State
Mangina desperately needs players that fit the 3-4 scheme since the Jets didn't have any when he made the brilliant decision to switch out of the 4-3 so Gholston is a dream pick for the Jets. If the Raiders end up taking Gholston I think the jets take McFadden as he is too good to pass up.
7. New England Patriots (f/SF)- Chris Long / DE / Virginia
This kid is an amazing athlete, a hard worker, and the son of a Hall of Famer. He would be a great addition to the Patriots.
8. Baltimore Ravens- Leodis McKelvin / CB / Troy
Baltimore would love for Matt Ryan to fall to them here. Unfortunately he doesn't so they take the top rated corner instead.
9. Cincinnati Bengals- Derrick Harvey / DE / Florida
The Bengals need a replacement for Justin Smith at DE and it just so happens Harvey, the BPA, fills this need.
10. New Orleans Saints- Keith Rivers / OLB / USC
The Saints have addressed some of their needs in the secondary through free agency so all signs point to them drafting a LB.
11. Buffalo Bills- Devin Thomas / WR / Michigan State
The Bills add a big fast WR to compliment Lee Evans in their passing attack.
12. Denver Broncos- Branden Albert / OG / Virginia
Albert is a terrific athlete who can play both tackle and guard. The Bronco's draft him to as a tackle and also to serve as a contingency at guard if Josh Beekman doesn't work out for them.
13. Carolina Panthers- Ryan Clady / OT / Boise State
Even if the Panthers do manage to resign Jordan Gross, they still need help at tackle. The threat of Gross leaving next year only amplifies this need.
14. Chicago Bears- Brian Brohm / QB / Louisvile
It's a bit of a reach according to most of the draft gurus but the Bears know that Grossman and Orton are not the longterm solution at QB and they draft Brohm as their QB of the future. He likely needs a year or two to develop and the bears can afford to wait.
15. Detroit Lions- Rashard Mendenhall / RB / Illinois
This is an obvious pick. Detriot Desperately needs a premier runningback.
16. Arizona Cardinals- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie / CB / Tennessee State
Corner is a huge need and the cardinals draft DRC, a corner with tremendous upside.
17. Kansas City Chiefs (f/MIN)- Phillip Merling / DE / Clemson
Kansas City would love to keep Jared Allen but he has made it clear that he wants out so they do the next best thing and extract as much value as they can out of him. They draft Merling to fill the gap left by losing Allen. Minnesota thought they had this position taken care of but Udeze was recently diagnosed with Leukemia and will be sidelined for the forseeable future. Minnesota knows they need to address this position and they trade for one of the most dominant DE in the game.
18. Pittsburgh Steelers (f/HOU)- Jeff Otah / OT / Pittsburgh
Otah is an absolute monster and will be a force in the running game. He is the Steelers top rated Tackle and as soon as he drops within range the Steelers put the trigger on a trade to ensure they get him. Houston is looking for a tackle as well but they especially need help at LT and Chris Williams is a much better fit than Otah at that position. #18 is a reach for Chris Williams so when the Steelers come calling, Houston does not hesitate to trade down.
19. Philadelphia Eagles- Limas Sweed / WR / Texas
The Eagles need help at WR and Sweed is a great addition to their offense.
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Mike Jenkins / CB / South Florida
Tampa needs depth at cornerback and a guy to step in for Ronde Barber once his skills begin to erode.
21. Washington Redskins- Kentwan Balmer / DT / North Carolina
Washington needs help all along the defensive line and Balmer is the best guy left at those positions.
22. Dallas Cowboys (f/CLE)- Aqib Talib / CB / Kansas
Dallas needs help at corner and they take the highest rated corner left.
23. Houston Texans(f/PIT)- Chris Williams / OT / Vanderbilt
Houston's guy is still available at number 23 and they jump on the opportunity to draft him.
24. Tennessee Titans- Jerod Mayo / MLB / Tennessee
Tennessee could use an upgrade at MLB and a hometown guy like Mayo is the perfect way to address this need.
25. Seattle Seahawks- Gosder Cherilus / OT / Boston College
Seattle needs help at RT and they draft Cherilus to fill this need. He's a great fit at RT and the only reason he is not rated higher is because there are questions as to whether he is fast enough to play LT.
26. Jacksonville Jaguars- Calais Campbell / DE / Miami
Jacksonville needs help at both DE and DT. I think they would prefer to draft Balmer here, but he's not available and Campbell is the last d-lineman left with a first round grade so they pick him.
27. San Diego Chargers- Kenny Phillips / S / Miami
The Chargers need help at FS and they get the top rated safety in Kenny Phillips.
28. Dallas Cowboys- Jonathan Stewart / RB / Oregon
The trendy pick for Dallas here is Felix Jones but I just cannot bring myself to have them drafting Jones here with Stewart still on the board. Jerry Jones may have a man crush on Felix but in this scenario Stewart is the guy.
29. Baltimore (f/IND via SF)- Joe Flacco / QB / Delaware
This is the worst case scenario for Baltimore. First Matt Ryan is gone before #8, then the Bears reach for Brohm. Baltimore desperately needs a QB and with Miami, KC and even GB all picking in front of them, it is completely possible for Baltimore to miss out on the entire top 3 at QB if they don't trade up. This is a desperation trade for Baltimore. If Brohm is available they take him, otherwise they take a chance on Joe Flacco.
30. Green Bay Packers- Reggie Smith / S / Oklahoma
The Packers need secondary help and Reggie Smith is the highest player left on their draft board. I would be SHOCKED if they take Cason here as GB runs a man coverage scheme and Cason is a much better fit for the zone. GB already tried drafting a zone guy once with Ahmad Carroll and he was a terrible fit. GB learns from their mistakes and takes the versatile Smith instead.
* New England Patriots - Selection Forfeited
32. New York Giants- Antoine Cason / CB / Arizona
The Giants need secondary help and they need help at OLB. Their first choice is to address a need at Safety but the top two are already gone. So they do the next best thing and draft Cason at corner.
Anyways, there is my first round mock. I may add a second round sometime in the near future. Let me know what you guys think.