ARE YOU NEW HERE? NOT LOGGED IN? PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO REGISTER FOR AN ACCOUNT AND LOGIN TO REMOVE THIS WINDOW
Welcome to PatsFans.com. Do you have an account? If not - please take a moment to register for our forum and experience a much smoother experience with fewer ads, along with no longer having to see this notification window. Also learn about how you can receive a free Patriots T-Shirt from the Patriots Official ProShop by CLICKING HERE. Please enjoy your stay here, and Go Pats!
Re: More tolerance and inclusion from Obama's church
Originally Posted by PF1996
1. Obama didn't "abandon" the Trinity Church (i'm assuming this is the "group" you're referring to - correct me if I'm wrong). He resigned from the church. This doesn't mean that he will never again attend services at the church, nor does it mean that he will never donate to the church's programs. It simply means that he is no longer an official member - therefore he has removed one propaganda tool from the righties - which has made the righties very angry - as you so clearly demonstrate.
2. How has the Trinity Church "helped Obama get to where he has over the last twenty years"?
3. I believe Obama said he "could no more distance himself from Reverand Wright....", not "I can no more abandon the Trinity Church". Feel free to let me know if I'm wrong.
is right. Lets put aside the rest of the diatribe and focus on the points.
1) He "disowned" the church. He quit (ababdoned) them because of the fallout. Slice it any way you want. He wants to (and has too, to save his political life) disassociate him self from that fringe element. His reasoning is clearly covering his political objective, which is to put distance between him and the controversy of the church and it's speakers. I will bet you serious $$$, he goes NOWHERE near trinity church or donates squat to them going forward. Least while he is running for president. That would be political SUICIDE. He said as much. He doesn't want them scrutinized because of him. BUNK. He apparently doesn't care about his NEXT church either then, cuz in the same statement he says he's gonna find a new chuch soon (and thus subject them to the SAME scrutiny apparently). That's called double-speak. My bet is that the preachers don't run around making anti-american asses of themselves at this next "house of God".
2) Say WHAT???? The church community, congregation and the community it is in served as a power base of support to help him rise through the political ranks. Every politician needs support from MANY areas and Obama was no different. The Trinity community was part of his support structure that helped him rise up through the Chicago political scene, which is notoriously difficult. In and of itself, that is not a bad thing at all, unless as he is finding out, it becomes an anchor.
I'm sure Press will hammer me for my "hypocrisy" because I hammer him on misquotes all the time. He'd be right to in this case and so are you for pointing it out, and I freely admit that that was wrong. It was carelessness on my part for not going back to the full text quote. You weren't right either, but that's not important. The relavent word was disown , not abandon or distance.
There was no attempt to deceive, and the word I incorrectly substituted, is pretty synonymous with disown, certainly as much as "distance" anyway. It was wrong on my part, but pretty harmless since I wasn't trying to decieve anyone ON PURPOSE and that particular choice of words doesn't change the meaning of what was done, or the point I was trying to make.
Will call this argument a push........ I think he's doing more then "distancing" himself. I think he is ABANDONING them. I'm sure some disagree.
I also bet that there are some that will view his "quitting" the church as disowning it as well. More then just us "righties" too, and perhaps some of the people that he has been sitting next to all these years.
__________________ Patroit_in_NY is now Patriot_in_ABQ
Last edited by Patriot_in_NY; 06-02-2008 at 01:19 AM..
DONATE TO PATSFANS.COM
RECEIVE A FREE PATS T-SHIRT AND SAVE 15% OFF WHEN YOU BUY FROM THE OFFICIAL PROSHOP!
Free T-Shirt & Save 15% Off!
Like Our Site? Please help support our site and server costs by DONATING TO PATSFANS.COM and receive a FREE PATRIOTS T-SHIRT and SAVE 15% off EVERY purchase you make from PatriotsProShop.com. You'll also receive added benefits to your account including Removing All Ads During Your Experience Here At Our Forum.
NEEDED YEARLY SITE DONATIONS: 345 | CURRENT # OF SUBSCRIBED SUPPORTERS: 98