The poor guys.
Let's see in the past month, I've seen McCain's campaign:
- elevate an unlicensed plumber to a political guru based on what they see as a "gotcha" moment... about the OTHER guy's tax policy
- called Obama a Socialist, a "Redistributer" (whatever that does; all taxation does that
- accused Obama of "Palling around with terrorists"
- tried to make a moderate Palestinian scholar into a PLO spokesman, and tried to make a common appearance at a dinner w/this scholar into an issue... again ABOUT OBAMA -- despite McCain giving that same guy 500K in grants
- Made the majority of new ads attack ads about Obama
- put forward no new ideas of their own
Aside from the attacks, McCain's campaign:
- has been unable to get the self-styled plumber to SHOW UP at events (this from a national campaign? What should the story be? "Glorious McCain Campaign Succeeds in Heroically Lining Up Dear Plumber in 2 out of 3 Events!"?
- Has been unable to confine itself just to Obama attacking, aiming its vitriol at McCain's own VP candidate
- While meanwhile, said VP is inept (or self-serving) enough to elicit this PUBLIC whine from the presidential side... sort of justifying the negative stories on her, if you think about it. McCain's own people lined up half of them by "leaking" their disgust.
What should THAT headline be? "Glorious Governor and Dear Leader Build Deeper Understanding Through Frank Exchange of Views Through Media Leaks?"
WTF do you THINK the coverage will be?
And how do you THINK you score the story that reads "Obama gains in polls, McCain slips?" Half the stories are about polling, and well, McCain is a loser. Just the facts, ma'am.
Obama's campaign? The nastiest thing they've put out about McCain is "He'll try to scare you and say I'm a risky guy." When his VP goes off script we get a week's worth of stories and a half dozen attack ads about how Obama will be "tested" within six months "mark my words." Obama has probably said "knock on some doors for me" more than "McCain" in this campaign.
You notice that the leftoids on this board have just as many nasty little points to make about McCain and his associations as McCain/Palin have made about him.
You'll also notice they go without media obsession:
- McCain's foreign birth
- McCain's behavior vis a vis his ex wife (which Reagan, for one, found disgusting)
- McCain's Keating 5 history
- etcetera etcetera etcetera
Think about it. Why wasn't the attack ad "McCain gave 500,000 bucks to Rashid Khalidi, a PLO spokesman... John McCain: too risky for America"?
Because Obama's people don't go after McCain that way.
What would be the media reaction if:
- Obama had a VP candidate who just had a baby in her 40s, had 5 children on stage with her, and one of those children was pregnant?
- If Obama lost his temper unpredictably both on and off the campaign trail
- If Obama went around America saying how everybody should have guns
- If Obama were instrumental in Abramoff's casino lobbying, and then ended up gambling compulsively in said casinos?
...or a variety of other attitudes or actions that are just "gimmes" for a republican?
If McCain got any more free passes he'd be a backstage groupie.
There is no comparison between McCain's behavior and Obama's, yet the right-wing corporate media continue to cover them with an obsession with equal outcomes, the better to pander to just such constant right-wing complaints about "tha media."