03-07-2009, 10:35 AM
In the Starting Line-up
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Canton MA
....on a the first nice Saturday in MONTHS! This is going to be shorter than most of my missives because I don't want to miss any time outside.
So OK, the first (and most significant) push of the FA period is over and its time to try and figure out where the team STILL needs to improve either in front line talent or the all important depth. Here is my take.
1. The DL is still the strength of the team and I don't see much new happening there. However since we all know how important the DL (especially in the unique way the Pats play it, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Pats take a DLman with one of their first round picks....IF.... a DL prospect that is significantly ranked higher than what they have on the board at a "position of need" falls to them. ie like when Vince fell to them in 2004 @#21.
Richard Seymore is in his "contract yr) so I expect big things from him
2. BTW- I don't expect the Pats to sign him, nor do I think he wants to stay any longer in NE. Either way Richard should be highly motivated, not only to make the Pro bowl, but to play like he deserves it. This bodes will for the Pats.
3. I'd like to see the Pats extend Vince, but I'd like to see it don't in a rather novel way, compared to the way deals are done these days. I'd go to Vince and offer him a 5 year $50MM deal that starts in the year 2010, and has NO signing bonus. Instead it would be 5 yrs at $10MM/yr with $32MM GUARANTEED. In essence the Pats would guarantee the first 3 years of the deal (the years of his potential highest productivity) and then guarantee a million a year of the $10MM salaries in the final 2 years of the contract.
This method allows that there is no cap consequense THIS year. It pays Vince a fair (IMHO) compensation for being an elite DLman, although at a position (NT) that limits the teams he'd be suitable in FA. It also Guaratees $32MM which is comparable to the Haynesworth contract. Which btw, is really a 4 year $48MM contract with $39MM guaranteed. Haynworth's is worth a bit more, but he's a more impactful player than Vince.
Just a thought.
4. I think our OLB would be greatly improved with the addition of Jason Taylor. I think his year in Washington was an abberation rather than a complete dimishment of the skills in one year of a guy who was the DPY in 2007. He'd be a great pick up if he'd be willing to sign a deal that would pay him $3MM/yr with $2MM in incentives. He'd be something as a pass rush specialist coming opposite AThomas and on the same side as Richard Seymore. Plus the fact that he could put his hand down in a 4-3 would be a plus.
5. I think a lot of people are discounted the fact that both the CBs we drafted in 2008 were hurt last season. Having them back gives us a lot more depth at the position than we had last year.
6. That being said, the most important position of need IMHO is at S. Behind Sanders and Merriweather, I don't know what we have. In fact my complaint about the DBfield is a matter of SIZE. We are really small, not only at CB, but at S as well.