By: Derek Havens
Name: Jemea Thomas
Position: Defensive back
School: Georgia Tech
Selected: Round 6, Pick 206 overall
- Tough, versatile athlete
- Four-year starter, accountable
- Shows great awareness, high football IQ
- Strong tackler, loves to hit
- Plays much bigger than his size
- Undersized frame that can struggle against bigger athletes
- Average range, displays stiff hips at times
- Question about his fit at NFL level
The Patriots love to bring in young defensive backs and Thomas is a player with potential. He’s not necessarily a starter, as he could struggle to find a perfect fit, but Belichick loves versatility. Even though he’s 5’9, the Georgia Tech defensive back plays much bigger on the field delivering crushing blows to opponents.
Thomas should be able to contribute on special teams right away, his ticket to potentially landing on the 53-man roster, but he could elevate himself into a much larger role in the future. He could play cornerback, nickel (in the slot) and strong safety at times. His toughness and competitive spirt stands out.
Do you have a Twitter account? Be sure to follow me: @PatriotsHaven!