Selected: Round 7, Pick 224
Height: 5 – 10
- Very good bulk and strength for a defensive back.
- Excellent press coverage skills and also a solid zone coverage defender.
- Uses his hands well and can make a play on the ball.
- Versatile, can play inside and outside
- Not extremely fast, but has tremendous closing speed and has next level burst to make up separation.
- Character concerns. Arrested five days before the NFL Draft.
- Not fluid in his back pedal and looks lost when not playing tight on an opponent.
- Too aggressive at times and can get off balance.
- Tends to gamble. Risk, reward type of player.
Overall, the Patriots look like they got a steal in Alfonzo Dennard. He was arrested, but he was considered a first or second round talent throughout the process. The Nebraska standout played exceptional for the past three seasons and not only was he a second team All-American, but he was also voted Nebraska’s MVP on defense.
Bill Belichick held a coaching clinic at the University of Nebraska just last month and supposedly worked out Dennard personally. I would expect for Dennard to come into camp and compete for playing time almost immediately. Hopefully, Dennard is humble and hungry to prove he can play at the next level. If he can, the Patriots look like they got another late round gem on their roster.
Do¬†you have a Twitter account?¬†Be sure to follow me: @PatriotsHaven!
Around the Internet: