The third and final edition of my 2012 NFL mock draft.
The NFL draft is finally upon us and there have been a lot of changes from my previous mock. Here’s how I expect the first round to play out. -
1. Indianapolis Colts – QB Andrew Luck, Stanford
2. Washington Redskins – QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor
3. Minnesota Vikings - OT Matt Kalil, USC
4. Cleveland Browns - RB Trent Richardson, Alabama
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – CB Morris Claiborne, LSU
- There has been a lot of last minute shuffling in the top five picks in the past 48 hours, but I am sticking to my guns and believe each of these picks will make an immediate impact on their respective teams.
6. St. Louis Rams ‚Äď WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State
7. Jacksonville Jaguars – DE Melvin Ingram, SC
8. Miami Dolphins ‚Äď QB Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M
9. Carolina Panthers ‚Äď CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina
10. Buffalo Bills ‚Äď OG David Decastro, Stanford
- Both Fletcher Cox and Luke Kuechly could be in these last picks, but I believe the Mark Barron rumors are just that.
11. Kansas City Chiefs – LB Luke Kuechly, Boston College
12. Seattle Seahawks – DE Quinton Copples, UNC
13. Arizona Cardinals ‚Äď WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame
14. Dallas Cowboys ‚Äď S Mark Barron, Alabama
15. Philadelphia Eagles ‚Äď DL Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State
- Some quality players in the last five selections that seem to fill a number of key needs for each team. With Barron’s stock rising, Dallas would be thrilled to pick him at fourteen. Also, could the Eagles move up to select Cox? I think it’s a legitimate possibility.
16. New York Jets – DE Chandler Jones, Syracuse
17. Cincinnati Bengals – CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
18. San Diego Chargers – LB Whitney Mercilus, Illinois
19. Chicago Bears – OT Riley Reiff, Iowa
20. Tennessee Titans – DL¬†Michael Brockers, LSU
- Chandler Jones stock has been going through the rough, but Courtney Upshaw could be the pick for New York. Dontair Poe was also a consideration for Chicago, but I think they would like to upgrade the offensive line at this point.
Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick could go a number of different directions in this year’s draft. (FILE:Icon/SMI)
21. Cincinnati Bengals ‚Äď OG Cordy Glenn, Georgia
22. Cleveland Browns ‚Äď WR Kendall Wright, Baylor
23. Detroit Lions ‚Äď OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford
24. Pittsburgh Steelers – DL¬†Dontari Poe, Memphis
25. Denver Broncos – DL Jerel Worthy, Michigan State
26. Houston Texans – WR Rueben Randle, LSU
- A pair of receivers and some upgrading in the trenches for the teams in this area of the round. Dont’a Hightower is also a legitimate option for Pittsburgh, but there linebackers have all been taken after the first round; I believe they look to upgrade the defensive line.
27. New England Patriots – LB Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
28. Green Bay Packers ‚Äď LB Nick Perry, USC
29. Baltimore Ravens ‚Äď LB Dont’a Hightower, Alabama
30. San Francisco 49ers ‚Äď OG Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin
31. New England Patriots – LB Shea McClellin, Boise State
32. New York Giants ‚Äď RB Doug Martin, Boise State
- The Patriots double dip in the front seven and come away with two versatile players with a ton of talent. Of course, would it surprise anyone if Bill Belichick trades out? I could certainly envision a move back with one of the selections.
Even though I did not mock any trades into this draft, I would expect the Patriots to trade back at 31 to a team like the Browns or another team trying to select a quarter back. Should make for some interesting drama at the end of the night.
Do¬†you have a Twitter account?¬†Be sure to follow me: @PatriotsHaven!