My colleague Ian Logue helps start you off each day with his daily links entry, so in an effort to help fellow Patriots fans get caught up at the end of each day on whatâ€™s gone on with this football team, Iâ€™ll be offering a daily entry at the end of each day to help keep up with any news you may have missed. You can alsoÂ follow me on Twitter to learn when itâ€™s available.
The Patriots continue to prepare for their season opener against the Miami Dolphins on Monday night. Â After roster cuts, a multitude of transactions, and three days until they play in Miami, there is no shortage of news. Here are some notes on the team and around the league on Friday:
- Sebastian Vollmer remained sidelined for his third consecutive practice on Friday. As of now, the three-year starter looks doubtful for Monday night with a back injury. Rookie Colorado product,Â Nate Solder,Â may find himself thrown right into the mix on opening night. He most certainly would have his hands full against the Dolphinâ€™sÂ Cameron Wake, who had 14 sacks last season for the Dolphins.
- Pats cornerback Leigh Bodden has been working through a thumb injury over the past few days. As a preventative measure, he isÂ wearing a white protective cast over his right thumb. The veteran defensive back has struggled with injuries lately and was sideline all of last season with a shoulder injury. New England will need his presence and experience on the field as the secondary has undergone quite a bit of turnover this off-season.
- The Patriots seem to be getting healthier after several players were banged up at various points during the pre-season. Luckily, onlyÂ Sebastian Vollmer is in serious jeopardy of missing the season opener. Not to belittle Vollmer’s injury, as it could potentially be big blow to Tom Brady‘s protection, but the team could be in a worse situation.
- I am very excited to see the new Patriots defensive scheme. The unit should be tested greatly against Brian Daboll’s offense in Miami. Daboll has given New England’s defense fits over the years, and it should be a good test to start the season.
- The big news on Thursday was Colts quarterback, Peyton Manning, underwent a second procedure on his neck. After being ruled out of week 1’s match-up prior to the surgery, it seems the team could be without their franchise leader for several months; if not the entire season. As much as I like to root against Manning as a rival, I hate to see great athletes have their careers in jeopardy over an injury. I wish him a speedy recovery.
- Tomorrow I will be posting my pre-game thoughts for week 1. I will include overall game thoughts, biggest match-up, what to watch for, and a score prediction. Be sure to check it out!
For Patriots updates in an instant,Â Follow me on Twitter:Â @PatriotsHaven!
Warning: include(/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/pfinclude/600-lower-blog-adbar.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/blogs/derek/wp-content/themes/pfblogcurrent/single.php on line 74 Warning: include(): Failed opening '/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/pfinclude/600-lower-blog-adbar.php' for inclusion (include_path='/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/new-england-patriots/messageboard//library:.') in /home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/blogs/derek/wp-content/themes/pfblogcurrent/single.php on line 74
Around the Internet: