My colleague Ian Logue helps start you off each day with his daily links entry, so in an effort to help fellow Patriots fans get caught up at the end of each day on what’s gone on with this football team, I’ll be offering a daily entry at the end of each day to help keep up with any news you may have missed. You can also follow me on Twitter @PatriotsHaven to learn when it’s available.
After yet another chaotic week in the NFL, there is no shortage of news. Teams shuffling their respective rosters, trades, training camp, and pre-season games. Here are some notes on the team and around the league:
- There has been a lot of “Roster Predictions” the past couple of weeks. My first roster prediction was posted last week and I will be updating the 2.0 version set to post on Tuesday morning.
- The toughest decision I had to make while doing my prediction, was who to keep between Jonathan Wilhite and Darius Butler.¬†I decided to go with Butler because I believe he has the potential to make a strong third year campaign after a tough 2010 season. With less pressure and time out of the spotlight, the CB might be able to help as a nickel or dime package defensive back.
- The Patriots signed TE Garrett Mills today, terms of the contract were not immediately released. In addition, the Patriots released S Bret Lockett and rookie free agent OL Zach Roth. Lockett, tore both his groin and abdomen last week while covering a punt. Details have not been released, but I would imagine there is some type of injury settlement along with this transaction.
- Greg bedard of the Boston Globe tweeted on Tuesday that he had confirmed the reported salary cap number for the Pats -¬†‚ÄúLeague source confirmed¬†@ProFootballTalk‚Äės cap number for Patriots is correct: $9.2 million under as of Monday. For all AFC East cap room numbers, check out my post earlier in the week.
- I am really surprised Lofa Tatupu is still on the market. The linebacker has been solid in Seattle over the previous years and seems like a solid addition to LB-needy teams. I would like the Patriots to take a closer look at Tatupu, I believe he would be a fit here in New England.
- Defensive lineman¬†Vince Wilfork issued a statement via¬†Twitter on Wednesday evening regarding a¬†Yahoo! Sports report on Tuesday that named Wilfork as one of several University of Miami players who received improper benefits from booster¬†Nevin Shapiro.¬†The All-Pro lineman issued the following statement¬†on his Twitter page @Wilfork75 -
‚ÄúI am aware of the report that has claims that involve me while at the U. While the NCAA and the U conduct their investigations @Mrs75 and I believe that it is not appropriate for us to comment. Thanks for your continued support and confidence in me.‚ÄĚ
- The Patriots injuries seem to be stacking up. So far in the¬†Pats 2011 camp, there have been: 21 practices (10 full pads, 5 shorts/shells, 6 walkthroughs). In that time, 38 players missed at least one practice due to injury. This could definitely be an effect of the lockout. Hopefully the team can get healthy for the regular season opener against the division rival Miami Dolphins.
- Roster cuts will be taking place later this month. Aug. 30th when the roster will go to 80. Initially, Aug 30th was suppose to mark the day when teams reduce the rosters to a maximum of 75 players, but the league office made that change earlier this week. Sep. 3rd marks the day where final cuts are made.
For Patriots updates in an instant,¬†Follow me on Twitter:¬†@PatriotsHaven!