By: Derek Havens
Yet another chaotic day in the NFL since the lockout has ended. Teams shuffling their respective rosters, trades, and training camp. The Patriots were busy on the practice field Monday, here are some notes on the team and around the league:
- On Monday, the Patriots practice is concluded with a full-pad session and was very physical. Albert Haynesworth sat out practice again; Mike Wright, and Brandon Spikes also remained out.
- Injuries are common in training camp and throughout the season, so there is no real need to worry about every player that gets dinged up during practice. During Monday’s practice Rob Gronkowski, Dan Connolly and Logan Mankins were shaken up.
- The Patriots continued to bolster their defensive line and revamp that entire unit on Sunday, signing lineman Shaun Ellis and Andre Carter. Both veterans have had success attacking quarterbacks in the past and I know Patriots Nation is hoping that continues in New England.
- Along with Shaun Ellis and Andre Carter, the Pats have added Gerard Warren, Albert Haynesworth, as well as Mark Anderson to go with Vince Wilfork, Mike Wright, Eric Moore, Myron Pryor, Brandon Deaderick, Ron Brace and Kyle Love. A lot of new faces along the defensive line but the team has more players to put pressure on opposing offenses, they did not have enough players with that ability last season.
- The Jets offered Shaun Ellis a veteran minimum contract of $910,000 on a one-year deal. The Patriots offered him $4 million and $1 million in incentives on the same one-year deal. That’s pretty big money for a guy such as Ellis who is long in the tooth. I am one of the many who believe, however, that he still has plenty left in the tank. He has had at least 4.5 sacks in every season since 2005 and should help anchor the defensive line.
- The Pats released Safety Brandon McGowan on Monday. 49er’s Safety Dashon Goldson visited with the Patriots over the weekend but he resigned with San Francisco Monday morning. I’m glad the Pats did not sign Goldson. The safety was looking for more money than he was worth which is evident by him signing a one-year deal for another chance at free agency after this season.
- Roster cuts will be taking place later this month. Aug. 30th when the roster will go to 75. Sep. 3rd marks the day where final cuts are made.
The next Patriots practice will be from 1:30 to 4pm on Tuesday afternoon. In the meantime please feel free to leave a comment, or you can also Follow me on Twitter: @PatriotsHaven!