By: Derek Havens
The news broke early Monday morning that NFL fans around the globe can breath easy. After 136 days, the lockout has finally been lifted and football is back.
The NFL and NFLPA have agreed to a new Collective Bargaining Agreement that will keep NFL action in play until at least 2021. Assuming most of you will not be reading the 400 page CBA that has been agreed to be both parties involved, here are some key bullet points:
- 10 year deal, through 2021
- $ 120.4 Million Salary Cap for 2011
- League-wide commitment to spend 99% of cap cash for the next two years (2011 & 2012 seasons)
- No opt-out clause after 7 years (insurance cost was too expensive). Also easier for the NFL to get better TV deals and build new stadiums.
- Recertification process will take place “over the next few days” but the details don’t appear to be completely set at this point. One of the few topics that have not yet been made clear to the public.
- Team rosters have now been expanded to 90
- Player minimum salaries increased by $55,000 from 2010
- 4 year contracts for draft selections, with a team option for 5th year for all 1st round picks.
- No change to 16 game season through 2013, any subsequent changes must be approved by NFLPA.
- Reductions in OTA’s and padded practices. No more than 4 and a half hours per day during training camps.
For even more details, here is a link to a PDF file Sports Illustrated’s Jim Trotter received of the CBA early this morning.
– Like what you have read on the site? Stay in touch with me on Twitter @PatriotsHaven!Whether you want Patriots updates in an instant or just talk about the team, be sure to look me up!
//include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/pfinclude/add-this-bar.php"); ?>
// include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/pfinclude/600-lower-blog-adbar.php"); ?> // include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/newsletter/content-email-signup-600px.php"); ?>
include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/2015/pfinclude/2015-ROS-Article-Below-Content.php"); ?> // include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/pfinclude/featured_lower.php"); ?> //include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/patsfans.com/httpdocs/2015/pfinclude/crowd-ignite.php"); ?>