By: Derek Havens
There are plenty of story lines in this week’s match-up, which should contribute to an exciting game day in Foxboro. And with Sundays Halloween match-up between the Vikings & Patriots approaching quickly, I thought I would share some quick points to keep think about for the game.
- All indications are that Favre will play this Sunday even with two fractures in this left foot/ankle. There were some rumblings that Brad Childress was leaning toward Tarvaris Jackson but I am not sure he has the power to tell Favre what to do.
- There are some great match-ups to watch for this week. Adrian Peterson vs the Patriots front 7. Randy Moss vs NE’s secondary. Matt Light vs All-Pro Jared Allen (the entire offensive line will have their hands full).
- With both Kyle Arrington and Devin McCourty starting just their fifth games as pros, they are more than likely to have their hands full with Randy Moss coming back to town. Bill Belichick has called Randy Moss one of the smartest players he has ever coached, with what Moss knows – Do you see him exploiting the young defensive backs?
- Brett Favre is widely known as a gunslinger. His playing style can be a defenses best friend or nightmare. I find that once Brett throws one interception, he often throws another. Luckily this Patriots defense has been great at forcing turnovers this season with the margin at +6, among the top teams in the NFL
- If there was ever a game for the Patriots to get out to an early lead, it would be this one. An early lead means less snaps for Adrian Peterson and more for Favre under center. Just like many other teams the Patriots have played this season, the Vikings are desperate. If the Patriots take the wind out of them early, the Vikings might close up shop mentally.
With all of these thoughts taken into consideration. I believe the Patriots could continue their winning streak this week. I see the Patriots pulling it out at by a close margin, similar to the last few weeks: Patriots – 27, Vikings – 20.